• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1293940

Completing the first work week with my first GS pair. Sorry about the socks.

I ordered both 9D and 8.5D as I was unsure about the sizing. 9D was great everywhere but had significant heel slip to the point that my feet falling back into the shoes were making an audible sound while walking. 8.5D had no heel slip but it was too snug everywhere and my widest part of the foot wasn’t fitting in the widest part of the shoe.
Eventually chose 9D and the heel slip is already diminished over 5 days where I don’t notice it as much. my toes and forefoot are thankful to me as I slip them on and off every day.
The rubber sole is useful on wet sidewalks, but I wouldn’t take my chances on colder or icy days.
Overall a great getaway drug into the GS world.
Special thanks to Wyatt and Josh during the fitting process that took several weeks and emails.

I think I'm in a similar boat as you. I am breaking in a pair of 10D's but thinking I'll trade in my new boots for 10.5D's. The tradeoff for me is a tight toebox versus heel slip. If the widest part of your foot didn't line up to the widest part of the shoe, than the longer size was the way to go IMO.

Something like these is what I'd jump on.

Sorry but I don't think that fits into Grant Stone's current brand aesthetic. Without the medallion, maybe. The Leo last would make it less formal though.

@audog What is this new filter you're using? I've noticed it cuts out sections of the shoe, not ideal!

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I'm in a similar boat as you. I am breaking in a pair of 10D's but thinking I'll trade in my new boots for 10.5D's. The tradeoff for me is a tight toebox versus heel slip. If the widest part of your foot didn't line up to the widest part of the shoe, than the longer size was the way to go IMO.

Sorry but I don't think that fits into Grant Stone's current brand aesthetic. Without the medallion, maybe. The Leo last would make it less formal though.

@audog What is this new filter you're using? I've noticed it cuts out sections of the shoe, not ideal!

They sell LWBs, why not a brogue boot?

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They sell LWBs, why not a brogue boot?
It doesn't fit into the Americana heritage flavor in my mind. And it does not look casual enough. LWB is a fairly casual, clunky style.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm just using my iPhone, no filter or anything. I've noticed it as well, perhaps the jpeg size is too big? I will try playing around and see if I can get better :)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree that this doesn't fit into the current GS boot aesthetic, but there is room in the lineup for a boot like this. Honestly, a Dress boot on the Alexander last would be awesome as well.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn't fit into the Americana heritage flavor in my mind. And it does not look casual enough. LWB is a fairly casual, clunky style.

Maybe you're right, although I personally feel like the boot I showed is just as casual (more even) than the shiny cap toe boots GS is already selling.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A brogue boot to me would very much fit.
Trickers_Stow_Boot_Acorn_Review3-759x500.jpg

Looks very casual to me.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just using my iPhone, no filter or anything. I've noticed it as well, perhaps the jpeg size is too big? I will try playing around and see if I can get better :)
Size wouldn't affect depth of field like that; try playing around with different camera modes (swipe left or right in the camera app to switch modes). Not sure what mode you're using, but it's probably "Portrait" mode; maybe try "Photo" mode to increase your depth of field.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Size wouldn't affect depth of field like that; try playing around with different camera modes (swipe left or right in the camera app to switch modes). Not sure what mode you're using, but it's probably "Portrait" mode; maybe try "Photo" mode to increase your depth of field.
It was portrait, let's see if this is better. Traveler Penny loafers for afternoon at home
IMG_0062.jpeg

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was portrait, let's see if this is better. Traveler Penny loafers for afternoon at home View attachment 1294099
It probably is, but try one with your legs crossed (like the earlier ones in this thread) and see if the shoe (or boot) that's farthest from the camera lens is in focus; that'll be a better test than a shot where both shoes are the same distance from the camera lens.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm also really hoping to see the cap toe boot in suede. Chelsea's as well.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would definitely try 8.5E for the next pair.
The initial guidance from GS was 8.5E based on my AE fits on 65 and 511 lasts. Recently, I bought the Higgins Mill in 9D on 57 last and found that to be a good fit. GS suggested I stick with 9D for Leo based on 57 last. Maybe AE with the more flexible dainite sole hugs my narrow heal better right out of the box and the boot lacing lets me get a better grip on the foot too.
Man, online shoe business is tough with so much variation in human feet!

So I'm no expert and I'm definitely not the brightest bulb by any means so don't take this as me knowing any more than you do, but just sheer common sense on this … The HM is heavily padded on the inside. Poron and the works. The GS's are built like Alden - a little right where your heel would be and nothing else. This alone would account for added volume. Just something to consider.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very well said, my sentiments EXACTLY.

The Chelsea also sounds great. AE makes both sleek (Liverpool) and more casual (Nomad, Surrey) Chelseas. I own three pairs of Liverpools (dark brown suede, walnut calf and black calf) and love them. But their more casual Chelseas never appealed to me. I bought some AE Surreys and returned them. They were neither sleek nor casual, sort of in between, and that just didn't work for me. But if GS makes a casual-ish Chelsea -- I can't wait to see it.

I usually find your posts pretty spot on and you didn't disappoint. I could never get myself to pick up the Liverpool at the asking prices - every time I considered it, I wound up going with something else (usually more shell). But I agree it's good. The older Surrey I passed on (Chelsea) at either right at or below a hundred bucks I thought it was that bad. The new ones are far far worse - they remind me of a rubbery swath of material we had around when I was a kid you'd use to open a really tight jar lid. The Nomad is a totally different story - this thing is an eyesore in the AE stores with that construction. If we played which one of these things doesn't belong here, it would be the Nomad. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why AE kept production in Port on this one....but at least now it's also moved to the DR.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see a diesel boot on their crepe sole, all day walking comfort all around. A Chelsea is a non purchase for me, but that may be due to my age, and I'm sure they will sell the sh*t out of them once word gets out and people who may not have experienced GS get wind of a Chelsea boot from GS. It's up to us to educate them..................

For the longest time I thought people who asked for Crepe soles were nuts, thinking of something like AE's Mojave. Then I tried Alden's 45407 and I was like, oh, now I get it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads