• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK here we go...maiden voyage. I absolutely love the color and the construction looks amazing. I'm sure I'll have more to say about fit/feel at the end of the day.

Also, holy mackerel are these things heavy! I'm not yet sure how I feel about that.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK here we go...maiden voyage. I absolutely love the color and the construction looks amazing. I'm sure I'll have more to say about fit/feel at the end of the day.

Also, holy mackerel are these things heavy! I'm not yet sure how I feel about that.

View attachment 1284212

View attachment 1284213

Looking good, that was my thought as well when I got my Dune PTB's, well constructed and heavy with a sole stiffer than I'd prefer. When comparing to a half size larger AE 5th ave the sole is about 3/4 of an inch wider and a good deal thicker. I've been meaning to take a sole width photo for comparison.

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1284212

View attachment 1284213

They are a lot heavier than mall brand shoes, no question. I think it's more noticeable when you are transitioning into better made shoes, and especially with these LWB's and PTB's, where a strong solid shoe is the ideal the shoe maker is aiming for.

I'm sure you will get used to the solid, substantial feel after a while. And they just look so good, don't they!

P.S. Great pair of pants!

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking good, that was my thought as well when I got my Dune PTB's, well constructed and heavy with a sole stiffer than I'd prefer. When comparing to a half size larger AE 5th ave the sole is about 3/4 of an inch wider and a good deal thicker. I've been meaning to take a sole width photo for comparison.

I'm very curious about the benefits of using a steel shank in these shoes. I get it for boots, but does it help the longevity/durability of a blucher? Is the tradeoff of making such a heavy shoe worth the benefits? I mean, I'm not going hiking in these, so the weight isn't really an issue for me, so it's really just an academic question.

Ben B

Reaction score
I'm very curious about the benefits of using a steel shank in these shoes. I get it for boots, but does it help the longevity/durability of a blucher? Is the tradeoff of making such a heavy shoe worth the benefits? I mean, I'm not going hiking in these, so the weight isn't really an issue for me, so it's really just an academic question.
You’ll get used to the weight and won’t notice it after a while. I’ve worn both PTBs and Diesels on trips as my only shoe walked all over. Others here have as well. They just become more and more comfortable.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
P.S. Great pair of pants!

Thanks, but I have to admit this makes me chuckle a little given what they are.

Back when I started my professional career, Jos. A Bank sold bundles called "trios". You got a suit, plus a pair of odd trousers than matched with the suit coat. It was a nice product for someone who didn't have much money at the time. These trousers I'm wearing today are the last surviving piece of clothing from those trios I bought. The quality of most of the stuff was pretty lousy (even I noticed it at the time), but these trousers are a happy outlier. I'm not sure what the weight is, but the wool is nicely heavy and I do like the pattern. They're just definitely not SF-approved! :cool:

LatAm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good question... weight considerations aside, I'm sure steel is stiffer than the alternatives, which I would guess are cheaper, but why stiffer is better I don't know. Perhaps @GrantStone could give us the real lowdown?

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll let more knowledgeable folks weigh in on the steel shank, I'd assume it adds durability. My experience with better quality (than glued mall shoes) is mostly AE or vintage Florsheim and Hanover.

GS uses a midsole and the sole extends out well past the upper which makes the soles for me much less flexible. For some Dainite is very hard but I find my PTBs with leather to be much more stiff than any of my many Dainite shoes.

In this photo you can see the leather sole, mid sole and welt.
IMG_4468.jpg

Now compare this to the same thickness of welt and a single layer of Dainite which is much thinner than the GS leather sole.
IMG_4586.jpg

There are pros and cons for each type of construction. The GS feels much more substantial, solid, robust or any other similar adjective and I feel the sole will have a great deal of longevity. The con IMO is there is very little flex at least initially (mine only have a few wears on them) which will exacerbate any fit issues regarding length. I have some shoes that are a bit long for me but since they flex the heel slip is minimal. My GS PTB's are my normal AE 65 last size and are much too long. I'll be trying 8.5 EEE when I get my next pair.

I do want to try GS's version of Dainite as that may be more flexible. I'm going to lean toward boots from GS since that should fix most heel issues for me and I think the thicker sole works well with a casual boot.

As GS adds (if they do) more "formal" shoes and boots I think a thinner sole and flat welt close to the upper would be a good choice as they have done with their Balmoral

JoeRogan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shank material is pretty much irrelevant, there are pros and cons to different materials and it's not a good/better/best ranking. The important thing is having the shank.

Turns31

Reaction score
Can someone post a pic of their PTB and Diesels next to each other top down? Trying to see how the lacing compares.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads