• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FistofFurySC

Reaction score
We are still contemplating this. Up until now, we have felt participating in any type of discounting can be hard to recover from. We are an online direct brand but once you start to discount, customers have hard time justifying the full price. Maybe black friday is the exception.

Very fair answer. I think having a special sales event once a year, like on Black Friday, could be nice for those who are on the fence about purchasing, or those who want to purchase a 2nd or 3rd pair. As long as the quality and standards continue to be high, I think people won't have any issues paying full price for good shoes (e.g. Alden).

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We are still contemplating this. Up until now, we have felt participating in any type of discounting can be hard to recover from. We are an online direct brand but once you start to discount, customers have hard time justifying the full price. Maybe black friday is the exception.
Well said.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd hope there's enough evidence of quality in this thread that anyone with doubts would be comfortable. A couple of my writeups are on the first page of this thread. I love all three pairs I own, and would probably have at least three other pairs if they existed in 2015.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd hope there's enough evidence of quality in this thread that anyone with doubts would be comfortable. A couple of my writeups are on the first page of this thread. I love all three pairs I own, and would probably have at least three other pairs if they existed in 2015.
The quality is undeniable. Anyone with the hang up on where they are manufactured, shame on them. I own, and have seen shoes "made in the USA, of lower quality that cost more. Grant Stone builds a beautiful shoe!

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The quality is undeniable. Anyone with the hang up on where they are manufactured, shame on them. I own, and have seen shoes "made in the USA, of lower quality that cost more. Grant Stone builds a beautiful shoe!
I don't mind if people choose to buy MiUSA - I get and totally respect that choice (though I often wonder how many focus on things like shoes and then by an imported car, etc.). I do have a problem when people ascribe quality to a country of origin (on either side of that equation). No country has a franchise on quality.

In the case of our friends at Grant Stone, my three pairs would tell me they are really on top of all aspects of design, leather selection, clicking, build execution, etc. Of my twenty-something pairs of shoes, which includes over 10 pairs each of AE and Alden, my three pairs of Grant Stone are easily as good as any of them, and better than most (i.e. if there were a Top 5 for quality and execution, Grant Stone would easily occupy three of those slots, and my Ottawas would almost certainly be #1).

/rant

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't mind if people choose to buy MiUSA - I get and totally respect that choice (though I often wonder how many focus on things like shoes and then by an imported car, etc.). I do have a problem when people ascribe quality to a country of origin (on either side of that equation). No country has a franchise on quality.

In the case of our friends at Grant Stone, my three pairs would tell me they are really on top of all aspects of design, leather selection, clicking, build execution, etc. Of my twenty-something pairs of shoes, which includes over 10 pairs each of AE and Alden, my three pairs of Grant Stone are easily as good as any of them, and better than most (i.e. if there were a Top 5 for quality and execution, Grant Stone would easily occupy three of those slots, and my Ottawas would almost certainly be #1).

/rant
Well said, indeed.

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We haven't released the newsletter yet but you can browse the available 2nds here.
https://www.grantstoneshoes.com/products/2nds

Awesome, thanks. Unfortunately nothing in my size 9d calls to me. Now if there was an Ottawa or a Veg Tan Diesel...

/rant

Very well said. Your review of your Ottawas was the first I've seen of Grant Stone and it really turned me on to the brand. Both my LWBs (Crimson CXL and British Tan Calf) have worn better than my shoes/boots from other MiUSA brands and the QC from Grant Stone has been top notch. Anyone on the fence about Grant Stone's made in China quality should take a look through the reviews here and the cross-sections in this article: https://www.heddels.com/2016/03/grant-stone-french-calf-derby-shoe-review/

Last edited:

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in as well.

I own a pair of the veg tan PTBs (on leather sole), and I absolutely love them. Agree that the build quality is amazing. They are, to me, head and shoulders above the AEs I've owned (and, of particular note, is the high quality edge and sole, which I would've killed for on my AEs). The fit of the Leo last is perfect for me. Personally, my only experience with the Barrie last is with a pair of boots, but to me they don't feel very similar. Barrie seems longer and skinnier. Leo is almost a perfect fit for me . . . I'm an 8.5E and the 8D in the Leo last feels almost like it was made for me.

I do sometimes wonder if they prune their feedback/comments to only include 5 star ratings . . . but honestly wouldn't be that shocked if all their shoes really were 5.0 stars.

Either way, I am eager to get my second pair . . . still trying to decide what.

whizkidd

Reaction score
First of all, Grant stones are already ******** on Aldens, Carmina and Allen Edmonds for the Quality of products they are putting out. So, asking for a Black friday sale is blasphemy. Although, if you go to Huckberry.com, they have few Grant stones on sale.

Milksteakboiledhard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First of all, Grant stones are already ******** on Aldens, Carmina and Allen Edmonds for the Quality of products they are putting out. So, asking for a Black friday sale is blasphemy. Although, if you go to Huckberry.com, they have few Grant stones on sale.

If you are looking for a calf LWB - get the British Tan ones at that price. You will not be disappointed.

IMG_4776.JPG

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for a calf LWB - get the British Tan ones at that price. You will not be disappointed.

View attachment 869196
Those are one of the three "other" shoes I'd totally grab if I didn't already have an Alden equivalent. (I'd trade my Indy boots for some Saddle Tan diesel boots (and I love my Indy boots), and my black AE MacNeil wingtips for their GS equivalents.)

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'll chime in as well.

I own a pair of the veg tan PTBs (on leather sole), and I absolutely love them. Agree that the build quality is amazing. They are, to me, head and shoulders above the AEs I've owned (and, of particular note, is the high quality edge and sole, which I would've killed for on my AEs). The fit of the Leo last is perfect for me. Personally, my only experience with the Barrie last is with a pair of boots, but to me they don't feel very similar. Barrie seems longer and skinnier. Leo is almost a perfect fit for me . . . I'm an 8.5E and the 8D in the Leo last feels almost like it was made for me.

I do sometimes wonder if they prune their feedback/comments to only include 5 star ratings . . . but honestly wouldn't be that shocked if all their shoes really were 5.0 stars.

Either way, I am eager to get my second pair . . . still trying to decide what.

We really appreciate the kind comments. We openly discuss the china stigma at the factory and try to implement measures to make a better product. One area we still need some work might be the presentation of the product or more specifically on the uppers, putting a wax shine on our calf styles.
It’s aesthetically attractive how North American factories have their own look and how they finish their heavier GYW footwear. There is something to be said for that rougher look.
We are trying to accomplish a little of both but finess it a bit to make a cleaner product which still has character.
I just took a trip to Tokyo and it’s amazing how clean the average $600 GYW shoe is and the upper always has a high polish finish. Great attention to detail. However, when the shoe is this clean or well rounded as a whole, it can seem to lack a little character that would make the shoe stand out. A lot of English makers seem to have a good balance with this.
With regards to the star ratings, we let them go! Just last week we received a 3 star from a customer who happened to slip in a new pair. The leather soles and the weight of the shoe doesn’t resonate well with some.

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Evidence is there, just waiting on width options!

sicigpat

Reaction score
Hi gents
I just ordered a pair of b grade saddle tan ptb's. Works out great because I could now justify buying a pair of cognac shells when they're available again lol.
i figured the saddle tan shoes are a good candidate for a b grade purchase because any superficial defects will just add to the character of the leather as it ages.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads