• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Commisar

Reaction score
I went for a stroll in the creek the other day... left the boots outside for a bit. I got in deep enough that water did get inside the shoe, for better or worse. I really wish these were fully gusseted. But, after leaving them outside for a day they did shrink, or so it seems. It feels like my instep and ball is just marginally more "hugged", which I think I like, and it's taking some of the pressure of the laces around the ankle holding the boot on. Of course the kilties are also taking up some volume. I wouldn't want to shrink them anymore so I'm gonna throw shoe trees back in, and probably will add dubbins to prevent water soaking into the leather again.

By the way... this natural waxed commander... I haven't seen anyone but Grant Stone using it? Is it an exclusive?
Hmm well leather swells when it absorbs water.

Tree them and let them dry naturally and they should be ok.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Been a while and wish these had leather soles instead of the faux Dainite, but oh well
IMG_4076.JPG

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went for a stroll in the creek the other day... left the boots outside for a bit. I got in deep enough that water did get inside the shoe, for better or worse. I really wish these were fully gusseted. But, after leaving them outside for a day they did shrink, or so it seems. It feels like my instep and ball is just marginally more "hugged", which I think I like, and it's taking some of the pressure of the laces around the ankle holding the boot on. Of course the kilties are also taking up some volume. I wouldn't want to shrink them anymore so I'm gonna throw shoe trees back in, and probably will add dubbins to prevent water soaking into the leather again.

By the way... this natural waxed commander... I haven't seen anyone but Grant Stone using it? Is it an exclusive?

Nice! Thanks for sharing. The Brass Boot indeed deserves a gusseted tongue. The tongue on one of mine invariably shifts to the outside. Kilties just make things more awkward in my experience.

Good question. I doubt the natural waxed commander from C.F. Stead is an "exclusive". Likely just less common. Apparently, the natural waxed commander Brass Boot is not a good seller for GS since they have already been discounted ($272 is an excellent price for them). I ordered my pair the first day they came out and have been very pleased.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, after searching for the ideal laces for this pair I ended up cutting some tan leather laces from Guarded Goods and they aren't that bad! I like a thicker lace to go with the metal eyelets. I ordered some Tricker's laces which ended up being too short: a measly 27". I did just find some round 36" black laces in braided cotton that I'll switch to next. Thoughts on this pairing?

20230522_111239.jpg

mr bubbles

Reaction score
Well, after searching for the ideal laces for this pair I ended up cutting some tan leather laces from Guarded Goods and they aren't that bad! I like a thicker lace to go with the metal eyelets. I ordered some Tricker's laces which ended up being too short: a measly 27". I did just find some round 36" black laces in braided cotton that I'll switch to next. Thoughts on this pairing?

View attachment 1962189
Great looking shoe. What color extra laces do they come with? Seems like tan would be a no brainer.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great looking shoe. What color extra laces do they come with? Seems like tan would be a no brainer.

The beige GS laces that came with my Ivory suede PTB's would match the welting thread color. They are a little thin, though. And most of the other dress laces I have in my collection are too short for these five eyelet bluchers.

I don't know what came with this pair stock since I bought them secondhand. The website only pictures black laces, but they've got another photo posted by a customer that looks to have GS beige laces.

delmar

Reaction score
Probably aren't shrinking but rather it is almost as if you are relasting the boot to your foot shape. A lot of the time getting the boot wet will help in the lasting process if I recall correctly
When I was in Navy bootcamp we were told that that is the best way to break in a new pair of boondockers--get them soaked and walk in them.

whipcord

Reaction score
Fresh navy turquoise Chromexcel. Loving the color of these B-grade Diesels!

View attachment 1963967
I like the antique welt color and wish more of their boots had it instead of the natural welt. That being said, I am starting to accept that I don't think their boot lasts fit my foot and ankle shape. To get a good fit in my toes, the quarters are much too large. It's a real shame as I love so many of the makeups.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the antique welt color and wish more of their boots had it instead of the natural welt. That being said, I am starting to accept that I don't think their boot lasts fit my foot and ankle shape. To get a good fit in my toes, the quarters are much too large. It's a real shame as I love so many of the makeups.
These leather laces are beefy - they take up a bit of space over the ankle. I went TTS for the first time on this pair of boots and so far so good. If it gets floppy you can always try tongue pads, inserts (not ideal) or even wrapping the excess lace around the ankle for a more secure heel lockdown. I have the latter method employed currently, as I do in all my GS boots.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ocutene