• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some fit questions for @GrantStone team and forum friends.

First question:

After trying the ivory suede PTB (not yet worn) and wearing navy PTB, I noticed that the ankle height is very low/shallow and prone to heel slip. This comparison is with other (AE, Florsheims) new non-broken in shoes. My vintage Florsheim LWB gives the best aggressive heel cupping.

View attachment 1308392

I love GS boots for the wonderful heel cupping but not experiencing this yet for GS shoes.

Any suggestions how to accelerate the heel grip break-in? I am tempted to pull out the sock liner and mallet to compress the heel cork (is there cork in the heel?).

Question 2:

It is generally stated that the feet expanding through the day. But working in an air conditioned office, I experience feet contraction through the day. So boots and shoes without good heel grip so produce a lot of heel slip by late afternoon.

Anyone else experience this?

A bit late to the game (and not sure how many answers yet), but I've often found a bit of heel-slip at first that disappears after the first or second wear. I'm not stepping out of the shoe, just slipping a little, then it goes away. The full-leather heel counter/cup will mould to your feet, so for me once break-in is done I've got a really secure platform going on back there.

I'm in an office situation most of the time too, and I would say there's little difference of the course of a normal day, but if anything they do swell a bit. When I travel and walk a lot, it can be more pronounced, especially if the fit isn't great. The Leo last fits me extremely well, so I've put in a lot of high-mileage days and they've literally never left me hurting (which is crazy, but cool).

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone here have the Antique Cognac Pebble Grain Country Derby who could post "in the wild" photos? Place I retired from has ask if I would come in as a consultant 2 days a week, I was doing one or two days a month, but they want it more "structured", that means I may need more .......shoes........
:rotflmao::rotflmao:
:rotflmao::rotflmao:

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nicest footwear in any Wal*Mart!!!

I do think you are spot on! Some of the denizens of that store are really walking fashion faux pas!
Was this a limited release? Whiskey or natural?

I just noticed the matching blue laces. Suave! These boots are sold out now.

Thanks! They make me happy every time I see them. Still having trouble breaking in the soles since they are SO stiff. The laces were courtesy of @GrantStone themselves. I REALLY wanted a tanker type/split toe boot in suede and these scratched the itch very nicely.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Wish they'd do a honey glazed shell cap toe... Wyatt, what do you think?

Well we actually have a honey glazed shell pre order coming up very soon in two different patterns. We weren’t going to release the details in advance until everything is settled but I think you will like at least one of the two.

Leather choices and colors for the chelsea's?

There will be a brown calf, black calf (both have uniform welt stains) and one dark waxy commander with natural welts.

Turns31

Reaction score
Well we actually have a honey glazed shell pre order coming up very soon in two different patterns. We weren’t going to release the details in advance until everything is settled but I think you will like at least one of the two.

There will be a brown calf, black calf (both have uniform welt stains) and one dark waxy commander with natural welts.
Dude awesome. Very soon like weeks or months? Pumped to finally get a pair of shell.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit late to the game (and not sure how many answers yet), but I've often found a bit of heel-slip at first that disappears after the first or second wear. I'm not stepping out of the shoe, just slipping a little, then it goes away. The full-leather heel counter/cup will mould to your feet, so for me once break-in is done I've got a really secure platform going on back there.

I'm in an office situation most of the time too, and I would say there's little difference of the course of a normal day, but if anything they do swell a bit. When I travel and walk a lot, it can be more pronounced, especially if the fit isn't great. The Leo last fits me extremely well, so I've put in a lot of high-mileage days and they've literally never left me hurting (which is crazy, but cool).

My experience is similar to @M635Guy. I feel like the heel on my suede long wings is very short and causing me slippage still after 5-6 wears. I still like the shoes and will continue to wear them, but the shallow/short heel is definitely not a great fit for my foot.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A Suede morning here with dog hair :)
IMG_0472.jpeg
IMG_0466.jpeg
IMG_0468.jpeg
wi

cardsfan89

Reaction score

Will those of us with EEE width feet like either of these? :hide:

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A PTB would be awesome! Just sayin’ LOL.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do think you are spot on! Some of the denizens of that store are really walking fashion faux pas!

Thanks! They make me happy every time I see them. Still having trouble breaking in the soles since they are SO stiff. The laces were courtesy of @GrantStone themselves. I REALLY wanted a tanker type/split toe boot in suede and these scratched the itch very nicely.

The Navy Suede Ottawa's are a definite buy from me when my size is available although I'd probably prefer a rubber sole. You and I are in the minority here when it comes to the GS leather soles. They look fantastic but it's like walking on slightly flexible wood. I have recently decided to wear my one pair around the house (normally I don't wear shoes inside) as much as I can and I think they are starting to break in a bit. I am determined to beat them! The closest I've gotten to a GS sole is my double oak on a recent pair of MacNeils but it's still not really close

Hotel Cali

Reaction score
Wearing the navy ptb today.

0106200849.jpg

I couldn't bear the heel slip from the shallow heel area so I made some modification. I scraped out the poron heel cushion to gain some more depth. It gives much more grip now. I will add some cork layer once the heel breaks in and conforms. Maybe try this if you get too much heel slip.

0106200840.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads