• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Basboy

Reaction score
While I appreciate the 'advice', I am still free to ask any questions I choose around fit or sizing or whatever else I wish to know in order to help me understand the various aspects of these shoes, and that includes things I don't know like the differences between D and E sizing. Sorry if it annoys you, but you are free to just ignore them. :)
WTF?

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Google "essex patina" and there are some great examples from Rancourt and others. It turns orange!

Ah, I was being lazy with my comment! Sorry. I have the Crimson Ottawa's. My next purchase would probably be opposite of that colour as I want some variety. As long as either the tan Essex or the saddle tan don't get Dark brown like the Crimson colour I'm okay with it.

I do like the look of the saddle tan as it reminds me of the red wing 875 boot

ac106

Reaction score
New releases today including the Edward and Plain Toe Blucher in the dark oak roughout leather. The Edward has the lug sole for the first time and the blucher has a leather sole.
View attachment 1755266

The plain toe blucher is a great looking make up!

The only way you could possibly improve it would be to swap out the plain toe for a longwing and then sub the rough out for Maduro Shell Cordovan!

Otherwise its perfect!

delmar

Reaction score
I'm tempted by the two new dark oak roughout leather offerings.

I just now had the idea to do a little statistical analysis of my shoe/boot collection. I'm a fan of shoes and boots with split reverse welts. I like the slightly larger soles and the less bulbous look of the toes created by the little welt lip sticking up just that little bit.

Easy figuring. I currently have exactly 40 pairs of shoes/boots (a mix of AE, Alden, & GS) and of those 30 have split reverse welts. 75%--I did the math in my head.

Anybody else interested in posting their ratio?

basu13

Reaction score
Quick question: are the midsoles on the Ottawas a single leather sole or a double leather sole (pics from the GS website)? What is the advantage of one over the other, in the context of a custom made boot? Would a double leather sole reduce flexibility and comfort?

Screenshot_20220217-085947.jpg

Screenshot_20220217-090552.jpg

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
Quick question: are the midsoles on the Ottawas a single leather sole or a double leather sole (pics from the GS website)? What is the advantage of one over the other, in the context of a custom made boot? Would a double leather sole reduce flexibility and comfort?

View attachment 1755713
View attachment 1755714

At the risk of being wrong (I usually am) I believe these are double leather soles. Most loafers should have a single leather sole, so you have the flexibility so your heel stays put. Some brands like Trickers also offer a single leather sole on several of their models as an alternative for those who might want more flexibility.

LionsOfMen

Reaction score

View attachment 1755713
View attachment 1755714
I believe the "midsole" on their boots and shoes are a single. The leather sole on their loafer is a single. If you get a boot or shoe with a leather sole then it's a double leather sole except for the loafers.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1755713
View attachment 1755714
I don't notice a comfort or flexibility difference between my double-leather vs. stud-sole models.

whipcord

Reaction score
I decided to get my feet measured today, because of the issues I'm having with sizing. Check out my heel to ball vs my heel to toe. What do you people think my sizing should be?
20220217_155754.jpg
20220217_155918.jpg

DawgPound

Reaction score
I'm tempted by the two new dark oak roughout leather offerings.

I just now had the idea to do a little statistical analysis of my shoe/boot collection. I'm a fan of shoes and boots with split reverse welts. I like the slightly larger soles and the less bulbous look of the toes created by the little welt lip sticking up just that little bit.

Easy figuring. I currently have exactly 40 pairs of shoes/boots (a mix of AE, Alden, & GS) and of those 30 have split reverse welts. 75%--I did the math in my head.

Anybody else interested in posting their ratio?
Good question. Overall, I have about 40 pair consisting of GS, AE, and Alden. Of them, about half are split reverse welts.

RogerKaputnik

Reaction score
I decided to get my feet measured today, because of the issues I'm having with sizing. Check out my heel to ball vs my heel to toe. What do you people think my sizing should be? View attachment 1756210 View attachment 1756212

Your largest measurement looks like 13C HTB on that right foot, if the measurement is being done correctly.

Welcome to the short toes club. You will likely need to size considerably larger than your heel to toe size to get the ball placed right. And like me, get used to some extra toe space and get over clown feet sensation.

But don't take advice from me, except that I'd hit Discord and discuss with sizing guru Chinese Broccoli.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdp