• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mr bubbles

Reaction score
I have a like issue on one of my boots I just purchased about a month ago, but much smaller. I have zero knowledge of boot construction, but haven’t given this much thought.

Attachments

• C06DD0AC-2BC8-44BE-BB67-FCE18DEEDC4E.jpeg
    C06DD0AC-2BC8-44BE-BB67-FCE18DEEDC4E.jpeg
    166.3 KB · Views: 87

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is not good approach. The customer purchased the boots with full confidence of receiving a high quality, long lasting pair of boots. They are not expected to know the ins and outs of the construction of of boots themselves, but they are not on the hook for a defect that completely undermines the integrity of the boots either.

This should have been caught by QC and sidelined immediately. This is not B-grade quality.

The fact that it got into the hands of a customer and was then diagnosed on a public forum should be damage control. Wyatt should have called the customer and have this pair taken off his hands immediately.

This is not a cosmetic flaw. Cosmetic flaws are the ones that normally flood this forum and largely don't matter after a couple of wears anyway.

This is a different case. Yes, Grant Stone has done a wonderful job because I have been watching them since inception and this is the first instance of this defect I have seen from them.

All the more reason to take them back.
Duly noted. Regardless, the customer accepted the product, agreed to a fair B-grade pricing adjustment for said defects and wore the product... so now he owns the product. Whatever Grant Stone decides to do is their prerogative.

I have a like issue on one of my boots I just purchased about a month ago, but much smaller. I have zero knowledge of boot construction, but haven’t given this much thought.
What you're seeing is different - it's a bit of leftover shrink wrap from the building process that commonly peeks above the split welt. You can just pull it out and/or cut it off.

707Matt

Reaction score
Feel free to correct me anyone. From what I have learned, that is a storm welt. Those appear to be perfect in my opinion. I believe that may be just a bit of glue.

707Matt

Reaction score
To be fair, that's the first time I've seen anything like that on Grant Stone boots/shoes, including B-grades, and it's not very representative of their footwear. GS' build quality is often better than other stuff 2x the price
I saw it on another pair. They were not my size so I did not give it much thought. The 2 pair of boots I have QC issues. The veg tan is pretty major from what I've learned. The Earth boots it is just cosmetic, but thet stich on the back is crooked as hell. Those were not B grades either.

I knew it wasn't a good sign when the previous replies were, "just wear them, your over thinking it, its not a misstitch its just pulling the leather, they will be better when the get resoled, they can be repaired, don't baby them, they are not for hiking."

Red Wings are good though!

Attachments

• 20230622_165948.jpg
    20230622_165948.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 83

Radboots

Reaction score
Duly noted. Regardless, the customer accepted the product, agreed to a fair B-grade pricing adjustment for said defects and wore the product... so now he owns the product. Whatever Grant Stone decides to do is their prerogative.

What you're seeing is different - it's a bit of leftover shrink wrap from the building process that commonly peeks above the split welt. You can just pull it out and/or cut it off.

Sure, it is their prerogative, but the onus isn't on the consumer to know what a structural defect in a pair of boots is. I imagine he accepted the pricing change because he thought it was cosmetic only. In any other field (and even some footwear) - this would be a warranty claim if indeed a structural defect - even after use.

707Matt

Reaction score

I never said yes to the B grade pricing. I was asking questions and then got an email about a refund. I did get Wyatts assurance he wont leave me hanging, but never agreed to B-grade pricing. Please ask a question before you assume.
Yes it was completely their prerogative on how they handled it. See the answer I got from Wyatt after sending these photos.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230623_133147_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20230623_133147_Gmail.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20230623_134033_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20230623_134033_Gmail.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Screenshot_20230525_140111_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230525_140111_Gallery.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Screenshot_20230525_140209_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230525_140209_Gallery.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 75

707Matt

Reaction score
How do the crepe soles hold up? And do you have pics of your tans?
Crepe sole on my grant stone after first short hike (3 miles) vs sole on my Carhartt boots after about 7 thousand miles of riding, hiking, etc. Must have kicked a stick or something, but the split on my field boots is kinda deep.

Attachments

• 20230616_185331.jpg
    20230616_185331.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 20230623_135115.jpg
    20230623_135115.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 83

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure, it is their prerogative, but the onus isn't on the consumer to know what a structural defect in a pair of boots is. I imagine he accepted the pricing change because he thought it was cosmetic only. In any other field (and even some footwear) - this would be a warranty claim if indeed a structural defect - even after use.

Has anyone proved that it's a structural issue yet? I see stuff like this all the time from Oak Street Bootmaker that gets passed off as factory firsts. Anything with a flat welt is more prone to showing the stitching and bubbling (or rippling) underneath. White's Boots practically always have this bubbling visible, though with a different construction method. These boots were inspected by Wyatt himself. Who here knows more about boots than him? It is possible that something slipped. Everyone makes mistakes.

I never said yes to the B grade pricing. I was asking questions and then got an email about a refund. I did get Wyatts assurance he wont leave me hanging, but never agreed to B-grade pricing. Please ask a question before you assume.
Yes it was completely their prerogative on how they handled it. See the answer I got from Wyatt after sending these photos.

You mentioned at least once that you received B-grades pricing. Presumably you accepted the price adjustment instead of returning the boots.

Like previously stated, Wyatt refunded me some money as if they were B Grades

Props to their customer service. Best to work these things out privately instead of airing them on forums I think. Honestly I mean no ill will, I hope you reach a satisfactory agreement.

Last edited:

707Matt

Reaction score
Has anyone proved that it's a structural issue yet? I see stuff like this all the time from Oak Street Bootmaker that gets passed off as factory firsts. Anything with a flat welt is more prone to showing the stitching and bubbling (or rippling) underneath. White's Boots practically always have this bubbling visible, though with a different construction method. These boots were inspected by Wyatt himself. Who here knows more about boots than him? It is possible that something slipped. Everyone makes mistakes.

You mentioned at least once that you received B-grades pricing. Presumably you accepted the price adjustment instead of returning the boots.
I did not return them because I put them on and wore them when they arrived. It was not until that evening when I saw the crepe sole ripped, I discovered this was the same exact boot as before with all of the extra stitching visible. I did not fully understand what I was seeing which is what lead me to ask questions.
Props to their customer service. Best to work these things out privately instead of airing them on forums I think. Honestly I mean no ill will, I hope you reach a satisfactory agreement.
It is what it is. These are the boots I have now. Yes Wyatt himself inspected these boots the first time and someone else the next, but both did not see the missed stitch. So there's that.
I mean no ill will also. This is just me asking questions on something I knew little about.

adrs1157

Reaction score
You're right. Flat welts are harder. Storm welts have a bit of extra leather that can cover up the inseam stitch if it peeks out. Either way, the stitch is protected if kept to a reasonable quality standard. Based on the images, 707matts pair is pretty bad.

Oak Street is definitely several notches below Grant stone and their quality issues are well documented. Publicly. White's uses handwelt construction with stitchdown, so not applicable.

At the end of the day it's up to 707matt if he's ok with the defect or not.

All I'm saying is I really like Grant Stone and their direction but I'm not happy with how this was handled. I guess I just expected better.

Waxed

Reaction score
I did not return them because I put them on and wore them when they arrived. It was not until that evening when I saw the crepe sole ripped, I discovered this was the same exact boot as before with all of the extra stitching visible. I did not fully understand what I was seeing which is what lead me to ask questions.

It is what it is. These are the boots I have now. Yes Wyatt himself inspected these boots the first time and someone else the next, but both did not see the missed stitch. So there's that.
I mean no ill will also. This is just me asking questions on something I knew little about.
We understand you mean no ill will, I hope.

But when you flood these forums with pages upon pages of your replies with dozens of pictures, it starts to come off as a bit neurotic.

707Matt

Reaction score

But when you flood these forums with pages upon pages of your replies with dozens of pictures, it starts to come off as a

But when you flood these forums with pages upon pages of your replies with dozens of pictures, it starts to come off as a bit neurotic.
I understand. Definitely no ill will. I have, and will continue to praise Wyatt and the fine folks at Grant Stone. The fact he has taken his time to reply to me is incredible and I have told him this. I fault no individual whatsoever. I also consider everyone one here as a buddy at a bar (even though I don't drink).
However, it did take quite some time before anyone acknowledged my actual question. Now that I have the knowledge I was seeking i am good.
I will, however, still post pics of days like this! Summer is here gents!

Attachments

• 20230623_154903.jpg
    20230623_154903.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just for some perspective, this is probably the worst experience I've heard of someone having with GS. And it is nowhere near as bad as numerous examples I've seen others having with Allen Edmonds, especially with their recent trunk show. The point about wearing them outside is super important. You really have to take a good look at everything before you wear them outside. However, if it is a structural thing that could not be seen, that is where I think the customer is not at fault.

707Matt

Reaction score
You're right. Flat welts are harder. Storm welts have a bit of extra leather that can cover up the inseam stitch if it peeks out. Either way, the stitch is protected if kept to a reasonable quality standard. Based on the images, 707matts pair is pretty bad.

Oak Street is definitely several notches below Grant stone and their quality issues are well documented. Publicly. White's uses handwelt construction with stitchdown, so not applicable.

At the end of the day it's up to 707matt if he's ok with the defect or not.

All I'm saying is I really like Grant Stone and their direction but I'm not happy with how this was handled. I guess I just expected better.
I did too. Wanted that perfect boot so I could strut around and brag about my dope Chinese made boots! Due to my experiences already, I will not be letting folks look close or mention China. I'm still wearing them on this beautiful So Cal day!

Attachments

• 20230623_155835.jpg
    20230623_155835.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 107

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prxtzt