• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GQ - Slim Cut Dress Shirts (GTFO)

raley

Reaction score
Unfortunately, even the slimmest of brands won't fit you if you have an unusually large neck. Thanks clothing obsession for making me feel self conscious about features like necksize
laugh.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
I went into a dressing room w/ a Regent Custom fit and a Custom Philip, and while its true that Philip's body is narrow, I was shocked at how billowy huge the upper part of the sleeves were. I'd need a lot of Creatine and gym time to wear that shirt. Very happy w/ te Custom Regent though.
I don't know about the Custom Phillip... it might be different from the ones that just said "Phillip" on them. I'd have to try mine on to see. I'm sure they aren't against changing the fit and using the same name...

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Phillip Custom fit has a 14.5 inch neck, 41 inch chest, and 38 inch waist. Definitely not bad, though the armholes could definitely be higher. (Certainly slimmer than my Curham - 15 inch neck, 46 inch chest!)

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be fair, I don't think the guy in the GQ slideshow can move freely in all the depicted slim fit shirts, they are probably too tight at the chest. He looks like a douche, with his body hugging shirt, small collar and slim tie.
Some really slim shirts: prada, helmut lang. I have to size up from 15 to 15.5.

!luc

DuncanM

Reaction score
Nordstrom has slim fit "Smart care" shirts they put on sale at $40 that aren't bad.

I really like the John W Nordstrom fitted shirts they have in herringbone (@$90). The material is surprisingly nice. They will also take in the body and/or arms for you for like $20.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know most people here deplore boss, but their slim cuts fit me really well. Full circle also has some interesting shirts out there. They seem to be a little more difficult to find though.

jmatt

Reaction score
Try finding ANY non-custom shirt to fit this: 17 1/4" neck, 35" waist.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Charles Tyrwhitt are worth looking at for their half-price-first-customer deal (~$50 per shirt), though I hear they aren't so slim as just slimmer than classic fit.

swisloc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Charles Tyrwhitt are worth looking at for their half-price-first-customer deal (~$50 per shirt), though I hear they aren't so slim as just slimmer than classic fit.

Was atracted to this prospect recently (as i am just starting to expand the shirt options in my wardrobe), but upon going to their Manhattan location I was not surprised to find that like Brooks Brothers, the Slim Fit is not really slim at all, it's just not loose. It didn't work for me at all.

In fact, in my size (14.5-15 neck, 31"(sometimes 32) arms, 36.5 chest, 31.5 waist/body) i have been unable to find any widely distributed OTR shirts that fit me, besides H&M slim-fit and a few random designer labels. A few weeks ago i took the plunge and put in a Jantzen order, so we'll see how that works out...

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Can anyone explain this in terms of economics? Why doesn't some relatively well-respected company come out with medium quality (like say Polo blue label-level, something made in HK of reasonably good fabric), truly slim fit shirts?

It seems like a huge market that's going begging. Or maybe it just seems that way on here...

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vanity
I keep getting GQ even though I'm supposed to be getting Details, and it continues to piss me the **** off. The latest issue has a section on slim cut dress shirts. They discuss what to look for and show a "regular" button down next to a slim fit. For us to see the differences.

Then they show various pictures of models wearing $200-600 dress shirts. Well no ****, sherlock. I'm pretty sure if I pick up a ******* $554 louis vuitton dress shirt, the thing is gonna be pretty slim cut. And putting that next to a "standard" cut, $30 dress shirt is ridiculous. Who does this magazine help? Who does this article help? If I could afford a closet full of Prada and LV shirts, chances are I could afford a stylist to tell me what's right.

So freaking marsupialed I'm beside myself with annoyance. Where the article fails, can StyleForum let in on where to buy slim cut dress shirts? And not bespoke or tailored ones, but things the average person could find.

I'll start:
Polo
H&M

(link to article online)
http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/landing?id=content_5305

Cut back on the blow and you could afford some pretty nice shirts. I guess it's a question of priorities.
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads