• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GQ - Slim Cut Dress Shirts (GTFO)

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
This stuff is very marked down on the website. http://www.hickeystyle.com/website/default.asp?s_id=2& The shots of their model are rather tragically styled, but the merch looks good.
I like Hickey stuff but some of the photography creeps me out, e.g:
5h323204_md.jpg
These two seem to be fighting:
5h223312_md.jpg

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
reminds me of the scene in Lost in Translation when Bill Murray is filming the whiskey commercial in the snazzy tux, and when he turns around you can see all the clips that are pinning the back of his jacket to give him a fitted/lean look.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aaron
I like Hickey stuff but some of the photography creeps me out, e.g:

5h323204_md.jpg

I tried on one of their shirts right after xmas and they're pretty nicely cut. very fitted.

state_pacific

Reaction score
I think the GQ article noted that all of the shirts were straight off the rack, no alterations (supposedly anyways).

I'd like to second H&M, actually - their slim fit two-ply dress shirts are nice and fit well (at least for me), without being too tight or uncomfortable. Just the right amount of roominess. Quality is decent (better than the couple of BR shirts I have) and they're only $40. Unfortunately, most of the dress shirts at H&M are crazy-striped numbers that look like something some guido would wear to go clubbing. But there are a few plain white/blue ones that are more business appropriate.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
reminds me of the scene in Lost in Translation when Bill Murray is filming the whiskey commercial in the snazzy tux, and when he turns around you can see all the clips that are pinning the back of his jacket to give him a fitted/lean look.
Whenever I see that movie all I can think about that is, "Notch lapel dinner jacket.
confused.gif
"

Todd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vanity
I keep getting GQ even though I'm supposed to be getting Details, and it continues to piss me the **** off. The latest issue has a section on slim cut dress shirts. They discuss what to look for and show a "regular" button down next to a slim fit. For us to see the differences.

Then they show various pictures of models wearing $200-600 dress shirts. Well no ****, sherlock. I'm pretty sure if I pick up a ******* $554 louis vuitton dress shirt, the thing is gonna be pretty slim cut. And putting that next to a "standard" cut, $30 dress shirt is ridiculous. Who does this magazine help? Who does this article help? If I could afford a closet full of Prada and LV shirts, chances are I could afford a stylist to tell me what's right.

So freaking marsupialed I'm beside myself with annoyance. Where the article fails, can StyleForum let in on where to buy slim cut dress shirts? And not bespoke or tailored ones, but things the average person could find.

I'll start:
Polo
H&M

(link to article online)
http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/landing?id=content_5305

I have some from both BananaRepublic and Armani Collezioni (sp?).

macuser3of5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Whenever I see that movie all I can think about that is, "Notch lapel dinner jacket.
confused.gif
"

That was Helmut Lang. Don't hate
boxing[1].gif

On the subject of slim shirts, I've found much luck with Dries Van Noten, Jil Sander, Helmut Lang, and Costume National, to name a few. I can usually get them at reasonable discounts (never more than $80 spent each), and they fit like they were made for me. Win-win.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads