• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

got 800$ to spend. how should I build my wardrobe?

PainZtaking

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
I can't believe people are advising you to buy suits at 16. don't be the douchey kid who wears a suit to class.

douchey kid wears a suit. cool kid wears abercombie + nike combo

btw im not planning to wear a suit to school though

Composer_1777

Reaction score
buy something cool, like a TV worth a **** or i phone, get some speakers and dolby your room up.

These other guys are right, don't be a douchey kid wearing a suit. Girls won't appreciate it, guys will think you are gay.

PainZtaking

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Composer_1777
buy something cool, like a TV worth a **** or i phone, get some speakers and dolby your room up.

These other guys are right, don't be a douchey kid wearing a suit. Girls won't appreciate it, guys will think you are gay.

I watch 52" samsung, own the 8gb 3g and listen to creative I-trigue 2.1
smile.gif

PainZtaking

Reaction score
I dont smoke much when im in usa though

wait until I go back to my home country. I have 200g+ saved on my bedroom ceiling xD

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
I'm loling with your repeated use of your selected adjective. Especially with your bespoke. I don't think those two words could exist in same sentence. 800 can get you a lot of starting basics if you look hard enough and are patient due to recession pricing. You can find a few polo made in italy suits on b and s at 270 dollars brand new (trust me, these are nice and better than what your peers would wear). Some dress shoes for 200 can get you a couple of pair of AE one black standard captoe like Redding (usually at clearance) and a darker brown. A few dress shirts from banana republic (these suffice, I have a few I wear and are great) at clearance 16- 29 dollars each). A couple of ties on b and s like thomas pink nwt sold for as low as 25 dollars each. There's some suits and blazers by hickey freeman and some no name made in italy by chorse123 for 100 each on b and s. Incotex some plethora of leftovers in various composition and colors at prices that are basically can be negotiated down now. That can all fit within 800 And that, btw, will be a killer wardrobe that most of your peers won't even know how to obtain.
Great advice. This is essentially what I've been doing over the last 6 months, with the exception of ties, which I love and feel the need to splurge on Brioni or Kiton. Also - make sure to save some of that cash for tailoring. However nice the stuff may be that you purchase, making it fit is crucial. Find a good tailor in your area and spend the cash. You'll not regret it.

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PainZtaking
I have not decided about suits yet. May be h&m or j crew or zara. What color should I start with? Gray?Navy? It would be nice if my suit's jacket or pants can be mix and match with other stuff.

Since you don't really need super conservative, go for a pinstripe (not that that's necessarily not conservative) navy or solid gray.

PainZtaking

Reaction score
"not that that's necessarily not conservative"

I don't understand. What does it mean? Sorry my english sucks. Can someone simplify that sentence for me pls.

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PainZtaking
"not that that's necessarily not conservative" I don't understand. What does it mean? Sorry my english sucks. Can someone simplify that sentence for me pls.
I mean that while a pinstripe can be conservative as well, it'll probably serve you better than a solid suit - which is in general pretty conservative, and this is not what you're looking for.

Charles55

Reaction score
IMO 800 USD is not enough to build a new wardrobe. It depends also what kind of stuff you need. Anyway i definetely suggest to wait for sale time.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charles55
IMO 800 USD is not enough to build a new wardrobe. It depends also what kind of stuff you need. Anyway i definetely suggest to wait for sale time.

It's more than enough! A sixteen year old should be shopping at thrift stores. He will seem much cooler if he wears vintage hickey freeman than if he waits for their sales.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you're 16 you should spend $800 on weed

how much weed do you have though. buy $800 of weed.

Really have a good time, your body is going to change to much to spend $800 on clothes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads