• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

good travel shoes

runsurfswim

Reaction score
so, in Rome and Tourino, the natives pointed out that tourists are identifiable by their sneakers. Since I have been wearing sperry's, i haven't been as obvious, and many have told me so, but they are hell on my feet. I have horrible blisters on my big toe on my left foot. So, i figured I would open this thread to find the best shoes taht are a bit rugged, professional, and comfortable.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just did a couple weeks in Ireland with two pairs of leather soled penny loafers and one pair of bucks (and a pair of chucks for some biking). Worked perfectly fine, though something with a bit of a tread could be nice, depending on what you're doing. Something like that isn't necessary unless you're doing some serious hiking.

Basically, I bring my everyday clothes when I travel. Wear what you're normally comfortable in.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I walked miles, literally, in my Alden boat shoes over the past few days on the west coast and similarly the week before on the east coast. The shoes have become my favorite casual walking shoe.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Sperry Topsiders kill me after I've walk in them for more than a few hours, and they are pretty broken in too.

Had a pair of Nike Air Max 1s that are some of the most comfortable sneakers I've worn but they aren't better than some of my other canvas sneakers after a few hours of walking.

Not exactly a helpful answer... but I guess the conclusion is whatever shoe you don't mind wearing for hours. As someone else suggested, you do want something with some tread.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Not sure you want to spend $400+, but I've walked for miles in my Alden Indys wihtout a break and they still feel like butter.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have found cushioning to be of most importance with shoes for traveling in places like Rome where there are a lot of cobbled streets, etc. I thought I could have used my Quoddys but I absolutely killed my feet walking around them last weekend in mexico on the rough streets...for city life they would be fine but when the pavement is not very even, it hurts pretty quickly.

I have a pair of Prada sport sneakers that i have used for several years that I absolutely love for travelling...they get a lot of hate on here for the price/design but they are pretty low key and have been extremely durable, taken them to several 3rd world countries, europe, etc. I like them because i can wear them with shorts or jeans and they don't stand out too much. The thing I like the most is the grip and the cushioning of them are really good. Also had some common projects achillies that worked well and I took to torino...looked good, but the pradas were way more comfortable for me.

Maybe a pair of Eccos are a good bet too. I saw a few at nordstroms, didn't really dig the shape of them.

I think maybe use talcum powder that might help too to keep the feet dry so you don't develop blisters. sweat is a lot of the cause of these I'm thinking.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For long walks, I wear exclusively leather soled Edward Greens or John Lobbs.

I'm currently experimenting with G&G to make sure they are also a good fit.

Not only do I look elegant but my feet are super super comfortable.

All you people that wear rubber soled shoes or sneakers :eek:

Blisters and discomfort are NEVER a problem with top-quality footwear :bigstar:

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, i figured I would open this thread to find the best shoes taht are a bit rugged, professional, and comfortable.

For these three words I'd go for Alden. They have a superb selection of lasts and models (even orthopedics) and you're sure to find your pair. Some members mention Alden's steel shank as an additional comfort factor, but my feet haven't found it different from other makers' shanks.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

For long walks, I wear exclusively leather soled Edward Greens or John Lobbs.

I'm currently experimenting with G&G to make sure they are also a good fit.

Not only do I look elegant but my feet are super super comfortable.

All you people that wear rubber soled shoes or sneakers :eek:

Blisters and discomfort are NEVER a problem with top-quality footwear :bigstar:

+1. I wore my double-soled Lobbs (William monks) on a recent trip to Spain, and was surprised at how comfortable they remained after full days of walking. I was hesitant to take them, but they were great. I usually wear my dress Lobbs on frequent trips to DC, and walk a lot in full comfort.

david3558

Reaction score
So I'm doing an extended 2 month study abroad in London then a 11 day backpacking journey after that... I'm thinking I can get away with using my leather soled shoes in London (may pick some up in Northampton too!), but what shoes should I use for my 11 day trip? I have flatter feet and I can't decide on what shoes would work well for me.

david3558

Reaction score
Hey - sorry to clarify, it's certainly more urban. I have some pretty intense hiking boots for my outdoors camping but they are simply too cumbersome and hot for the summer travels (Danner Mtn Lights).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads