• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good place to buy a cedar shoe tree in either Boston or NYC?

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
The Epics are vaporware, but you can look at them here. It's a good price for that style of tree (I saw similar ones in Dunheel today for $70). Whether the epics are twice as good as basic Woodlores cannot be known as of this writing.

I spoke to Woodlore customer service today and they confirmed the Epic is due to be released in 2-3 weeks. MSRP is $29.95.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
A word about boot trees, as long as we're (not) on the subject. I picked up a couple of pairs recently and I'm not happy with them. The high vamp on the boot tree prevents the tree from getting far enough into the shoe to realy stretch out the forefoot area. I'm going to stick with shoe trees for my ankle boots going forward.

+1.

I am using the shoe trees for my boots as well and I think they work fine. It is just that it doesn't cover the ankle area, which really doesn't bother me as I don't think I am losing any functionality

DeadDJ

Reaction score
Sorry to drag up an old thread but this is the newest and most relevant I could find.

-Is it important to buy shoe trees from the manufacturer? I'm not exactly buying cordovans and Lobbs, just Allen Edmonds and a decent pair of Florsheims. Both brands have their own shoe trees.

-Is this a decent tree? Woodlore A-E trees for $18.50 shipped.
(http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ksid=p3907.m29)

Pedantic Turkey

Reaction score
I guess this is as good a place as any to ask-- why not just use $3 plastic shoe trees?

I can see how wood might be better if it's custom cut for your shoes, but wouldn't flexible plastic work better otherwise?

DeadDJ

Reaction score
I suppose after looking at Grimslade's page 2 response, I'll accept that generic ones will work for my shoes. I guess my question breaks down solely to whether or not the Allen Edmond trees are acceptable.

Pedantic Turkey, cedar absorbs moisture and odors, lengthening the life of shoes over plastic. Thus for the commoners like us it isn't a huge deal but are worth the additional investment.

Pedantic Turkey

Reaction score
I don't know if I buy that.

I'd think that perforated plastic and a dry place (like a closet or a safe with a moisture trap) for the shoes to dry would work better. I'm probably wrong, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads