• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good colonial history books?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
how do you like your books? a dramatized account? straight textbook style history? biography?
I like more scholarly accounts. Biographies are fine too.

wiru

Reaction score
The Many Headed Hydra: The Hidden History of the Revolutionary Atlantic by Marcus Rediker and Peter Linebaugh. The title sounds a bit trade-y but both authors are academics and the book itself is very 'scholarly.' Really an excellent work.

Vito

Reaction score
The Birth of the Republic by Edmund S. Morgan explains the origins of the American Revolution better than any other book that comes to mind, and at approx. 200 pages it's a quick but rewarding read. This book was originally published in the 1950s, and I think its reputation as a "classic" is well-deserved.

American Colonies by Alan Taylor (already mentioned by another poster) is good. It's a beast of a book (more than 500 pages) but it focuses on many topics that are neglected in most other studies of colonial history.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Leap is very good. Hard to put down. Has anyone read any of Gordon Wood's books? His The Radicalism of the American Revolution won the Pulitzer for history, and The Americanization of Benjamin Franklin has stellar reviews.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vito
The Birth of the Republic by Edmund S. Morgan explains the origins of the American Revolution better than any other book that comes to mind, and at approx. 200 pages it's a quick but rewarding read. This book was originally published in the 1950s, and I think its reputation as a "classic" is well-deserved.

Somebody else recommended this to me recently. I just ordered it from Amazon.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Somebody else recommended this to me recently. I just ordered it from Amazon.
Let me know how it is. I understand it is geared towards the layman (not saying that is a bad thing, just wondering if it's accurate).

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drinnon's 'Facing West'

Anything by Peter Hulme.

Essays by Steve Nash and Mike Zuckermann.

A bunch of others that don't come to mind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads