• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to the opera tonight, please help!

psb3292

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm going to the opera tonight and until now I hadn't realized that I really don't have anything to wear.
I don't have many dressy items with me. I have a navy blue peacoat, a pair of black cap toes, a pair of grey suede wingtips (but it is raining today), 1 navy and 1 lighter blue v-neck sweater, 1 blue and 1 charcoal button down shirts. I don't have any dress pants, ties, proper dress shirts,...
I only have jeans too.
Is there any way I can try to make this work and not look too out of place?
Thank you so much to anyone that helps!

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Navy sweater (if it's not more obviously rustic than the other), black shoes. And look like you're pleased to be there.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you in the OPERA itself?
Are you anywhere famous enough to get your pictures taken?
Are you sitting in the best seat of the house?

If answer is NO to any of the above, then just wear what you have because nobody gives a sh*t what you wear, nowadays.

If anwere is YES to any of the above, then go rent a tuxedo.

psb3292

Reaction score
Haha ok, I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be too out of place. I'll make do with what have, thanks guys.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by psb3292
Haha ok, I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be too out of place. I'll make do with what have, thanks guys.
Yes, nowadays, sadly, you'll fit right in with what you have.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything really? I've never been to an opera proper, but the few performances involving an orchestra or dance and such, I try to at least not wear jeans.

Just don't wear jeans and tuck in your shirt at least. I'd say wear a suit if you have one.

Acer

Reaction score
I'm headed to the symphony tonight--the last time we went, there were people there in shorts and flip flops (I think they were from a local HS getting extra credit for attending).

There were also older gentlemen there wearing nice suits, but mostly SC/bowtie/slacks combos.

I'll be rocking a tan/black htooth SC (ticket pocket and throat latch
inlove.gif
), a white shirt and solid brown silk tie, with a light blue PS and mid gray slacks. And oh yes, brown shoes after 6pm. I'm such a rebel.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My thinking is, opera is for everyone, not just the rich and elite. So wear what you feel comfortable in, after all you're there to enjoy the show, music and singing and NOT looking at how the audience is dressed. If you're sat in the 'Dress Circle', then make an effort to dress up.... suit, sport jacket, blazer, trousers, black-tie, .. avoid wearing jeans or t-shirts here. Avoid white-tie as well, as this is worn by the orchestra, conductor and maybe the ushers. The main thing is, you're there to enjoy the show and NOT trying to impress other patrons.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming that you are real and that this is not a gala night then don't worry. The opera does not rate as anything special.

Be comfortable and don't fret.

Many may say that this is regrettable - fine, but it is a fact.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MikeDT
My thinking is, opera is for everyone, not just the rich and elite. So wear what you feel comfortable in, after all you're there to enjoy the show, music and singing and NOT looking at how the audience is dressed. If you're sat in the 'Dress Circle', then make an effort to dress up.... suit, sport jacket, blazer, trousers, black-tie, .. avoid wearing jeans or t-shirts here. Avoid white-tie as well, as this is worn by the orchestra, conductor and maybe the ushers. The main thing is, you're there to enjoy the show and NOT trying to impress other patrons.
BTW I've seen a few operas myself. Tosca, Marriage of Figaro, Fidelio, Die Walkure etc... as well as Beijing, Zhejiang and Guangdong Opera. ADDED as quote, as forum is giving an error when editing.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wear dark colours. The Fenice here - I always dress up, but so do most. Nobody would bat an eyelid if you weren't.

Leverandon

Reaction score
Depends on what opera house you are going to. The New York Met is still pretty dressy. You won't be horribly out of place in the sweater, captoes and jeans, but most men will be wearing jackets.

Local regional operas are anything goes affairs (unfortunately).

psb3292

Reaction score
Yes it was Tosca at the Met, most people were dressed up, but no one looked at me weirdly for what I was wearing. It was my first time at the opera and the people I went with had told me they were in suits so that had me a bit worried. Thanks again for the help!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads