• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to Thailand for 2 weeks

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. I've been dozens a times with no problems at all
2. you are bigger than pretty much everybody in thailand
3. don't go north or west. go to the islands in the south east. much less crowded, much better
4. make sure you get to a thai boxing match or two

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for the advice everyone. My friend must have mis-spoke about the islands, she recommended villages in the north and islands in the south.

I typically only carry less than 100$ USD with me a day and that's what I want to do in Thailand, but the thing is I've been told to keep all my valuables on me or they'll be stolen. Any recs for that?

Also, about hotels/accommodations: We aren't bringing so much money between the two of us, about 1000 USD. What should we expect to pay for hotels/lodging, and how should we arrange it? (Just walk around and look for a place? Back to the first question, I'm wary about leaving my valuables/money out of my sight)

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
1. I've been dozens a times with no problems at all
2. you are bigger than pretty much everybody in thailand
3. don't go north or west. go to the islands in the south east. much less crowded, much better
4. make sure you get to a thai boxing match or two

This I don't understand at all. Chiang Mai and the North is beautiful

Largo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203

Seriously. Chiang Mai (again) is a great destination with a lot of sights, parks, temples, you name it you can hit in the course of a day. Krabi down south-west a bit from BKK is a really nice coastal town, definitely worth a day or two to go out to the massive crazy island-rocks that have been carved out of the ocean. The island recommendations (Koh Pi Pi is nice, Koh Phan Ngan I haven't been to, Koh Chang was pretty good too).

As for accommodations, rates will be all over the place, but definitely try to reserve ahead of time online. It's more than worth it to avoid haggling, or potentially finding better spots that are already booked out. My Thai friend recommends http://www.hotelthailand.com/.

And lastly, I'll back up what everyone said about safety. If you get jacked in Thailand, you probably really really ran into it. I've seen the most incredible inebriates stumble their way through the seediest red light districts and manage not to get accosted, so yeah. Basically keep an eye out around tourist hotspots, and make sure your taxi driver turns his meter on. Have fun!

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
So again, where to keep valuables? If all my cash isn't on me, where is it safe to keep? Will all hotels have a safe?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
****, don't want to use a CC because it's a pain ********** to get money out of China to pay it off. Are there going to be ATM's in the south-eastern island areas/northern jungle?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

no arguments, have you been to the south east? its beautiful, empty and cheap. people usually go to the islands in the west - pucket and the like.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
So again, where to keep valuables? If all my cash isn't on me, where is it safe to keep? Will all hotels have a safe?

did you see papilion?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
um... no?

Cordwinder

Reaction score
Every tourist place has touts trying to tale you to a famous Buddist temple. Dont go as you will end up in a jewellery trade show. Drivers get a comission for bringing people in. Driver and the staff at the show will make you sit for 10 mins just so they get their commission.
My bro and parents ended up in this situation when they went on a city tour planned by the hotel they were staying. They were not treated well by the guide, left at the trade show and came back much earlier than what the tour or hotel had agreed to. I think the hotel apologized and refunded my family the tour charges. Pretty ****** experience.

Transportation in the city is pretty easy to follow and understand. You can definately go without any tour guide.

I suggest Wat Po and the near by Emerald Buddha. Wat Po is where they teach thai massage. Emerald buddha is near to it, but check timings before you go. I can't remember details but I took the boat up the river to the temple.

The hotel I stayed in had a in room safe, Windsor Suites. Its near a skytrain station. Very convenient.
And there is also a 24hr massage place across the street. The each room has a shower where you wash before getting an oil massage. Happy endings are separate from the charges listed.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
no arguments, have you been to the south east? its beautiful, empty and cheap. people usually go to the islands in the west - pucket and the like.

The SE islands, as in Samui, Pan Ganh, etc... or further up like Samet? I've been to all these places - they're great but I didn't see a lot of elephants in the jungle there. There's a lot to the North too - and far less tourists overall. I recommend the North as well as the islands

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Tickets bought, July 20-August 3rd. Can't wait.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The SE islands, as in Samui, Pan Ganh, etc... or further up like Samet? I've been to all these places - they're great but I didn't see a lot of elephants in the jungle there. There's a lot to the North too - and far less tourists overall. I recommend the North as well as the islands

you're right, the elephants are nice. I went down to Ko Chang, and that was so quiet it was great. I've been for work related thing to pucket and ko pi pi and they were so much more crowded.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads