• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to New York - shopping/restaurant recommendations?

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 11211
a decent day trip is the Dia: Beacon museum. Metronorth train ride from Grand Central to Beacon, which has a decent main street, and a modern art museum. The entire train ride is along the Hudson, which is beautiful. You'd want to confirm Dia is open whenever you take this trip.
I second this. Be sure to sit on the left side of the train facing forward...if you are there during Peak Foliage, you should not miss this...do not underestimate the beauty of the Hudson Valley. And Beacon is a cool little town-don't miss the glassworks if you go. Be sure to stay clear of the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty on Saturdays...those are the days when the untrained tourists are there. And if your trip is on Columbus Day Weekend, God help you. You'd be surprised though, at how empty they are on Sunday mornings. If you really want to experience Ellis Island, take the damn boat...but other than that I think going to Liberty Island is a huge waste of time. Just look at it from Battery Park...it was designed to be viewed from the harbor, not looking up her gown. I hate it when people come here to visit and waste half a day waiting in line and taking the boat there and back just because they think "it's the thing to do in New York"...the time could be better spent visiting distinct neighborhoods like the Villages, the Lower East Side and SoHo. When visiting Ground Zero, walk down into the PATH station...this will actually allow you down inside the hole itself Don't listen to the snobs who are saying not to see Times Square at night. That would be like telling someone going to Vegas not to see the Strip. It is what it is and is very exciting...just promise not to eat at the Olive Garden or TGI Fridays. Believe it or not, the double-decker red bus tours can be good...but ONLY if you go on a slow day (weekdays!) and you have to luck into one of their better tour guides (which can be tricky). Though you may feel nerdy, the view/ photo ops from the second level is unparalleled and you will see more things in three hours than you could ever cover by foot-and it's a great way to get your bearings. The Roosevelt is a decent hotel and I believe it is a very good location for the things that you want to do. As a matter of fact, my buddy Don Draper stayed there when having marital problems last season.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leffot
My apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Best free activities, Walk the Highline, and Brooklyn Bridge. Staten Island Ferry for great relaxing ride past the Statue of Liberty.

This is a good amendment to my post...the Staten Island Ferry is a great way to experience the Statue of Liberty and see the harbor.

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All the beautiful people are in Harlem
smile.gif
... seriously, though, I don't think a trip to NYC is complete unless you go uptown. There are TONS of great restaurants up here... Londel's Supper Club, Mobay, Renaissance... and lots of great live jazz of course. Also home to B. Oyama Homme, probably my favorite men's shop anywhere, and down the block is Hats By Bunn, where you can buy a nice summer lid for the missus.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
Don't listen to the snobs who are saying not to see Times Square at night. That would be like telling someone going to Vegas not to see the Strip. It is what it is and is very exciting...just promise not to eat at the Olive Garden or TGI Fridays.

I just said not to stay near the area--he should definitely go see it.

Believe it or not, the double-decker red bus tours can be good...but ONLY if you go on a slow day (weekdays!) and you have to luck into one of their better tour guides (which can be tricky). Though you may feel nerdy, the view/ photo ops from the second level is unparalleled and you will see more things in three hours than you could ever cover by foot-and it's a great way to get your bearings.

We're talking about doing this with a couple of friends, and they've been in the city for years.

Arethusa406

Reaction score
There have been a couple of recommendations for Jean Georges. If you do get to have a meal there, and you have any interest in chocolate, order the molten chocolate cake. It's one of Vongerichten's signature desserts and is outstanding.

Originally Posted by chorse123
Unrelated, but go to lunch at Jean Georges.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Frick Collection is my favorite NYC museum.
I second this recommendation. The Frick is not my favorite but an incredibly well edited collection of artwork. The Neue Gallery across the street from the Met is also a less known resource. The latter caters to German/Austrian artwork from the early 20th century which is very difficult to find outside Belvedere in Vienna.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
We're talking about doing this with a couple of friends, and they've been in the city for years.

Just chat for a minute with the tour guide as he/ she takes your ticket. You can get an idea of their personality. If you are turned off, just get on the next bus.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
I second this recommendation. The Frick is not my favorite but an incredibly well edited collection of artwork. The Neue Gallery across the street from the Met is also a less known resource. The latter caters to German/Austrian artwork from the early 20th century which is very difficult to find outside Belvedere in Vienna.
Another thing I like about the Frick is you get to tour a classic, 5th Avenue mansion as you view the art. The Met is majestic, but oh, so huge. I'd rather focus on one small museum.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I second this. Be sure to sit on the left side of the train facing forward...if you are there during Peak Foliage, you should not miss this...do not underestimate the beauty of the Hudson Valley. And Beacon is a cool little town-don't miss the glassworks if you go.

I will look into this trip. Is the Beacon a museum or a neighborhood?

Be sure to stay clear of the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty on Saturdays...those are the days when the untrained tourists are there. And if your trip is on Columbus Day Weekend, God help you. You'd be surprised though, at how empty they are on Sunday mornings.

Since we are flying in on a Wednesday, perhaps we will go there as soon as we land... or just after check in.

If you really want to experience Ellis Island, take the damn boat...but other than that I think going to Liberty Island is a huge waste of time. Just look at it from Battery Park...it was designed to be viewed from the harbor, not looking up her gown. I hate it when people come here to visit and waste half a day waiting in line and taking the boat there and back just because they think "it's the thing to do in New York"...the time could be better spent visiting distinct neighborhoods like the Villages, the Lower East Side and SoHo.

So what can I expect on the boat? Can I get some decent shots from the boat? Are people still allowed to go up Lady Liberty to the top? If so, I may have a hard time skipping that. It just seems very New York. Is this really a half-day affair?

When visiting Ground Zero, walk down into the PATH station...this will actually allow you down inside the hole itself

Will do. Is the PATH section different, or labeled, or...? Basically, is it not something everyone knows about?

Don't listen to the snobs who are saying not to see Times Square at night. That would be like telling someone going to Vegas not to see the Strip. It is what it is and is very exciting...just promise not to eat at the Olive Garden or TGI Fridays.

We will definitely be in Times Square at least one night. All the people and lights will make for a good time.
smile.gif

Believe it or not, the double-decker red bus tours can be good...but ONLY if you go on a slow day (weekdays!) and you have to luck into one of their better tour guides (which can be tricky). Though you may feel nerdy, the view/ photo ops from the second level is unparalleled and you will see more things in three hours than you could ever cover by foot-and it's a great way to get your bearings.

Really? Interesting... maybe we'll do that. I always assumed they were pretty crappy in any city... but you may be right.

The Roosevelt is a decent hotel and I believe it is a very good location for the things that you want to do. As a matter of fact, my buddy Don Draper stayed there when having marital problems last season.

lol8[1].gif
It's between the Roosevelt, the Grand Hyatt and the Milburn

Thanks!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have found Gdl203's New York recommendations to be the best of anyone on SF. Wait for him to chime in before you make reservations. Last spring he suggested a few places in the village for dinner that were very good.

I have also found the hotel rankings and comments on Tripadvisor.com to be the most accurate and reliable, because the posts are current and reflect any recent changes. However, other sites may post better rates.

I suggest you organize your activities by neighborhoods. People unfamiliar with NYC forget that it can take 1/2 an hour to get from the Park to Lower Manhattan in certain times of the day by cab. You can spend an awful lot of time and money just getting around. So, make a list of what you want to do and then cluster all of those activities into a section of town and go spend the day there. Look for the best places to eat lunch and dinner there as well.

UpperWestie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Absolutely. My wife and I like to walk through and along Riverside Park at night. There are dozens of small restaurants in the area. They are not generally as hip or edgy as their downtown counterparts, however.

Times Square is the opposite of romantic.

Huh?? Mars 2112, Bubba Gump Shrimp, Friday's, Hershey's Store, UA Theater IMAX, Lace Gentleman's Club? WTF are you talking about Foo...non romantic....NooB.

UpperWestie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leffot
My apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Best free activities, Walk the Highline, and Brooklyn Bridge. Staten Island Ferry for great relaxing ride past the Statue of Liberty.

Italian - I Sodi (West Village)
Japanese - Matsugen (Tribeca, Jean George creation)
Basque - Txikito (Chelsea)
French Bistro - Pastis (Meatpacking)

I'm a downtown guy what can I say. Have fun, you really can;t go wrong.

Moo - and if you are down in the West Village. You DEFINITELY want to stop in this guy's store. LEFFOT is the best shoe store in NYC. HANDS DOWN. (and no this is not a paid advertisement)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads