• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going to New York - shopping/restaurant recommendations?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Brown is too small time to actually have a physical clubhouse.

frown.gif

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Regarding hotels: The Hotel Belleclaire is unavailable during the dates when we are going. The Park Central is roughly $350 per person more than we are currently spending. The Milburn is a definite possibility, as it is about the same price as what we are spending and has available space during our time of visit. Important point: So... what are the pros/cons of staying at a place like the Milburn, here: http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...image&resnum=1 Versus staying much closer to Times Square, where there are more things closer that we want to see? Here: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cl...image&resnum=1

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
The Park Central is roughly $350 per person more than we are currently spending.

Wait. What????!!?

Are you talking about this place?

http://www.parkcentralny.com/

That is $350 more per night than wherever else you were going to stay? You have to try hard to pay more than $350 at this place.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Wait. What????!!?

Are you talking about this place?

http://www.parkcentralny.com/

That is $350 more per night than wherever else you were going to stay? You have to try hard to pay more than $350 at this place.

I meant as a package price with flight and hotel for 4 nights. It's $1200 or so per person, whereas we were looking at around $850 per person.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Important point: So... what are the pros/cons of staying at a place like the Milburn, here: http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...image&resnum=1

Versus staying much closer to Times Square, where there are more things closer that we want to see? Here: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cl...image&resnum=1

It takes about 6 minutes (plus walking and waiting time) to reach Times Square from the UWS by subway. You should, of course, see Times Square, but it is a cultural vacuum without anything worth doing unless you want to be stuffed in an immobile crowd of confused and bedazzled tourists caged in by Red Lobster, TGIF, and the Disney Store. Real New Yorkers stay away from Times Square at all costs.

The UWS is a real Manhattan neighborhood where New Yorkers live, eat, and play. It has it's own feel and character with established neighborhood stores and restaurants that people have been going to for decades. It is much quieter than Midtown and downton, and is surrounded by parks (Riverside Park on the west end, and Central Park on the east end). But it's true: if you want to be surrounded by dazzling lights, cigarette smoke, and bars, it is not the place to be. Instead, think tree-lined streets, park benches, cafes, and pre-war buildings.

Leffot

Reaction score
My apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Best free activities, Walk the Highline, and Brooklyn Bridge. Staten Island Ferry for great relaxing ride past the Statue of Liberty.

Italian - I Sodi (West Village)
Japanese - Matsugen (Tribeca, Jean George creation)
Basque - Txikito (Chelsea)
French Bistro - Pastis (Meatpacking)

I'm a downtown guy what can I say. Have fun, you really can;t go wrong.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Real New Yorkers stay away from Times Square at all costs.

So do you consider yourself a real New Yorker?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley

No. But I suppose you're going to take this opportunty to whine about me pretending to be, no matter what I've said.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley

No. But I suppose you're going to take this opportunty to whine about me pretending to be, no matter what I've said.

77091-004-7485222b.jpg

- B

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

There used to be an ad for Windows on the World, back after the end of the 1980s, describing what real New Yorkers did and knew of as good values: send their kids to Dalton, shop at D'Agostino (IIRC), and, well, eat at Windows on teh World.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WTH would I whine about anything. Do I come across as a whiner? I was just asking. Foo.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
It takes about 6 minutes (plus walking and waiting time) to reach Times Square from the UWS by subway. You should, of course, see Times Square, but it is a cultural vacuum without anything worth doing unless you want to be stuffed in an immobile crowd of confused and bedazzled tourists caged in by Red Lobster, TGIF, and the Disney Store. Real New Yorkers stay away from Times Square at all costs.

The UWS is a real Manhattan neighborhood where New Yorkers live, eat, and play. It has it's own feel and character with established neighborhood stores and restaurants that people have been going to for decades. It is much quieter than Midtown and downton, and is surrounded by parks (Riverside Park on the west end, and Central Park on the east end). But it's true: if you want to be surrounded by dazzling lights, cigarette smoke, and bars, it is not the place to be. Instead, think tree-lined streets, park benches, cafes, and pre-war buildings.

Ah, I see. This is nice... I guess once we're out of the hotel in the morning, we are out and on our way and it really doesn't matter where we are as long as we're not in Jersey.
laugh.gif
Would the Upper West Side work well for a stroll in the evening to a cafe or restaurant/something romantic? Would it be better than Times Square (I assume it would)?

Originally Posted by Leffot
My apologies if this has already been mentioned.

Best free activities, Walk the Highline, and Brooklyn Bridge. Staten Island Ferry for great relaxing ride past the Statue of Liberty.

Italian - I Sodi (West Village)
Japanese - Matsugen (Tribeca, Jean George creation)
Basque - Txikito (Chelsea)
French Bistro - Pastis (Meatpacking)

I'm a downtown guy what can I say. Have fun, you really can;t go wrong.

Thank you for the recs. I will look into the restaurant and we will most likely end up doing the Brooklyn Bridge and Staten Island Ferry for sure. What is the Highline?

Originally Posted by voxsartoria
A saddening reference.

- B

No kidding.
frown.gif
One of the few days that I can recall exactly what I did almost to the minute. And at that time I couldn't remember what I had for breakfast the day before (I was 18).
frown.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Would the Upper West Side work well for a stroll in the evening to a cafe or restaurant/something romantic? Would it be better than Times Square (I assume it would)?

Absolutely. My wife and I like to walk through and along Riverside Park at night. There are dozens of small restaurants in the area. They are not generally as hip or edgy as their downtown counterparts, however.

Times Square is the opposite of romantic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads