• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Going on a dinner "date" and would like some advice

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My father was a construction worker. He was a big burly man with arms like tree trunks and from Monday to Friday he wore his work clothes, but come Friday evening after his shower through to Sunday night, he dressed like an English gentleman. He always wore a sport coat and a button-down collared shirt on weekends. The purpose of sharing this, is to encourage you to explore other ways of dressing and in doing so, to broaden your standards. Though you may say it is not your style to wear a sport coat, you may be quite suprised how a sport coat can completely transform both your appearance and how others perceive and treat you, A sport coat and several pairs of decent quality shoes (Allen Edmonds as a starting point, both in brown and black) should be a mainstay of every mans wardrobe. Your edict should be to always look your best; that no matter where you go or whom you may meet, there is only one chance to make a first impression. If you've run out of time before the date, wear a button down collared shirt at least. Hope your date goes well. Welcome to Styleforum.

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Agreed, I should have posted a week ago. I have been shopping for a week already but just don't feel comfortable with what I am finding which is why I posted today. As far as a sport coat goes, do you agree that one should dress within their personality as to not promote something that isn't? Just my thought but.....I could be wrong.
If you want to dress slightly more formal (this doesn't mean better, the two things are separate) I'd wear a nice pair of jeans, a dress shirt, a light cotton sweater and some simple white sneakers (adidas superstar or stan smiths, converse chuck taylor whatever).

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another thing is you might just go to a tailor and get yourself measured so you know exactly what size you are.

It helps enormously with your shopping. Most department stores have sales person to do this for you as well.

It is too late to do any alterations so you are more or less stuck with what ever you get off the rack.

I agree with most of the advice here, though I would not suggest sneakers - of any kind. And I see nothing wrong with Chinos at any age.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My father was a construction worker. He was a big burly man with arms like tree trunks and from Monday to Friday he wore his work clothes, but come Friday evening after his shower through to Sunday night, he dressed like an English gentleman. He always wore a sport coat and a button-down collared shirt on weekends. The purpose of sharing this, is to encourage you to explore other ways of dressing and in doing so, to broaden your standards. Though you may say it is not your style to wear a sport coat, you may be quite suprised how a sport coat can completely transform both your appearance and how others perceive and treat you, A sport coat and several pairs of decent quality shoes (Allen Edmonds as a starting point, both in brown and black) should be a mainstay of every mans wardrobe. Your edict should be to always look your best; that no matter where you go or whom you may meet, there is only one chance to make a first impression. If you've run out of time before the date, wear a button down collared shirt at least. Hope your date goes well. Welcome to Styleforum.

:slayer:

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A sport coat is not necessary, but I agree that something is. I suggest a cardigan as it prevents the possibility of getting cold while elevating it from "jeans day at the office" to dinner date with someone in whom you're clearly interested.

Jeans:

http://us.levi.com/product/index.js...an:3691994&cp=3146842.3146854.3691994.3146870

Shirt:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...lor=WHITE&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=

Sweater:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...Product_Id=1545563&default_color=Navy-mouline

Shoes - go with either the Allen Edmonds Strand or a pair of smart loafers. Don't skimp on the shoes. The difference between a legit pair of shoes and a crap pair of shoes is night and day. You can probably find a decent shirt at one the Marshall's, TJ Maxx, type places. I see a lot of plain PRL button down shirts at my local one that would pair well with a cardigan.

Don't fall into the trap a lot of "bigger" guys fall into and assume that you're bigger than you are. Most guys buy stuff at least one size too big because they are self conscious; in the wonderful world of irony, they wind up looking a lot bigger than they are.

Most of all, be confident and comfortable, but look elevated. You want to look like you put the effort into it, but not look like you put an obscene amount of effort into it.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A sport coat is not necessary, but I agree that something is. I suggest a cardigan as it prevents the possibility of getting cold while elevating it from "jeans day at the office" to dinner date with someone in whom you're clearly interested.

Jeans:

http://us.levi.com/product/index.js...an:3691994&cp=3146842.3146854.3691994.3146870

Shirt:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...lor=WHITE&sort_by=&sectioncolor=&sectionsize=

Sweater:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...Product_Id=1545563&default_color=Navy-mouline

Shoes - go with either the Allen Edmonds Strand or a pair of smart loafers. Don't skimp on the shoes. The difference between a legit pair of shoes and a crap pair of shoes is night and day. You can probably find a decent shirt at one the Marshall's, TJ Maxx, type places. I see a lot of plain PRL button down shirts at my local one that would pair well with a cardigan.

Don't fall into the trap a lot of "bigger" guys fall into and assume that you're bigger than you are. Most guys buy stuff at least one size too big because they are self conscious; in the wonderful world of irony, they wind up looking a lot bigger than they are.

Most of all, be confident and comfortable, but look elevated. You want to look like you put the effort into it, but not look like you put an obscene amount of effort into it.

You do realize that the date is tomorrow??? And I would go with loafers over AE's in a heartbeat in this situation!

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ter - I am assuming that there is a Brooks Brothers and department store that sells Levi's near him. Unless the OP lives in some desolate and remote village, he should be able to buy those or reasonable facsimiles almost anywhere. Hell, I have four Brooks Brothers within 45 minutes of me, and two Brooks outlets.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the OP would feel uncomfortable in a sport coat, I don't think a cardigan would be much better. I think he needs some kind of casual jacket like a Harrington.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ter - I am assuming that there is a Brooks Brothers and department store that sells Levi's near him. Unless the OP lives in some desolate and remote village, he should be able to buy those or reasonable facsimiles almost anywhere. Hell, I have four Brooks Brothers within 45 minutes of me, and two Brooks outlets.

I hear you.
What is true is that OP needs to get going if he wants to get some nice looking stuff. New and properly fitted do not necessarily go hand in hand!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A V neck may work. I have a linen safari jacket that I wear when I want to be a little more casual....

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice shirt.....nice loafers.....nice jeans.......v neck if you have one and it will be cool. done.

^This. Pick out a more casual sport shirt paired with a solid colour v neck it would look good. If you don't have loafers, a suede boot or plain toe blucher.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
and this may go w/o saying...but i will say it anyway....
brush your teeth.....and if you have crusty hands....maybe give urself a manicure....
as someone said, you never get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression!

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

and less of a chance the OP fumbles!!!
Amen

If you want to dress slightly more formal (this doesn't mean better, the two things are separate) I'd wear a nice pair of jeans, a dress shirt, a light cotton sweater and some simple white sneakers (adidas superstar or stan smiths, converse chuck taylor whatever).
..and this I like and it seems within OP's comfort zone

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

brush your teeth.....and if you have crusty hands....maybe give urself a manicure....

+1 :cheers: sometimes we focus too much on the clothing aspects

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:slayer: :)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads