• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Glen Plaid Suit Appropriate for Law Office?

citizenshame

Reaction score
Assuming it's a muted grey glen plaid, would this be appropriate wear for a law office where a suit is required every day?

The exact fabric I'm considering is this:

JA4kS.jpg

Does anyone have any pictures of conservative glen plaid suiting for inspiration?

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its fine for Fridays...only

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't wear it to any interview really law or otherwise. It is a great suit but just a bit too bold and distracting for an interview.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many of the lawyers I know actually go quite bold. the ones i meet who are strictly charcoal and navy, seem to all be stuck on the lower rungs of their firm. The ones working themselves upward, do a nice arrange of glen plaids, some darker and lighter, w/ a light blue or purple even green deco, some pretty bold pinstripes etc.

citizenshame

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CYstyle
Many of the lawyers I know actually go quite bold. the ones i meet who are strictly charcoal and navy, seem to all be stuck on the lower rungs of their firm. The ones working themselves upward, do a nice arrange of glen plaids, some darker and lighter, w/ a light blue or purple even green deco, some pretty bold pinstripes etc.

Plaintiffs' attorneys, I assume? (Not that that's bad)

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Wrong.
laugh.gif
+ 1. Glen plaid is such a basic pattern, I don't see it being objectionable except for the most conservative of circumstances (and even then, I'm not sure about that either).

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a cheap $300 suit made up in Asia with Huddersfield's glen plaid (bad pic below) just to try it out, and from my perspective, I think the problem with glen plaid's formality question is in the trousers, while in a jacket it will almost always look fine. The thing is, when we SF-ers think of glen plaid, I think we imagine British country suits or something, but to the average person, especially when it's present in trousers, it looks like a 70's used car salesman fabric. People are not accustomed to trousers with loud patterns. I've noticed too that in pics of Huntsman's plaid jackets, the trousers are almost always a plain straight color. I'd still wear the full suit in court, just not for more serious or contested hearings.

glenplaid.jpg

butterflystyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leverandon
In a similar position as the OP, I'm a law student who will (hopefully) be a summer associate at a firm next summer. Snapped up this J. Press olive glen plaid off of eBay:

http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/.../JPGrnPld1.JPG

What are your guys thoughts on its appropriateness for law firm wear? I feel like its pretty understated, but I'm new to glen plaid.

Hope you're at a T10. Chicago Biglaw didn't go outside of the T10 this year.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by citizenshame
Plaintiffs' attorneys, I assume? (Not that that's bad)

I am a defense attorney and I wear louder stuff than that.

Mike

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads