• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giving money to homeless beggars

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
I see a lot of homeless guys on the streets with tin cans. They're obviously begging for money. Certainly, there's a chance that the donated money would go into feeding their bad habits. However, it's possible that some of them are just very hungry and would use that money to buy lunch or dinner. I'm just curious why many people (read 100% of the Amrican population) don't give beggars money. Specifically, what is your rational for not doing so?

I don't really have a uniform policy. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. At least they're recycling the cans. If the situation permits, I'm more likely to buy and offer them some food.
Originally Posted by onion
I once saw a homeless person pull out a pile of money "secretly" when the light turned green. He easily had 100 or 200 bills in his hand, if not more. Not that I was ever big on giving money to the homeless, but after that I never will again.

Yes, he's probably a good proxy for everyone in that situation.
sarcasm.gif

Originally Posted by the neon fruit supermaket
Well its been known for some time now that a pro-panhandler can rake in about 37K (tax free) a year. Thats not to say that there aren't legitimate 'Nam vets who need the money.
Is it simply "well known" or is there scientific consensus?
sarcasm.gif

Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer

So if they tell you they need money for food, it's a lie. The money goes to other things. Booze, drugs, whatever. It's not going for food.

That kind of certainly is quite comforting, thanks.
sarcasm.gif

Originally Posted by Piobaire
I wish this were a simple topic, but I'm afraid it's not.

First, there is a group of homeless that look able bodied but have mental problems. Quite possibly, if we saw mental health as a public good, we could decrease the number of these people on the street and turn them into tax paying citizens. Not all, but certainly a significant portion. So I think society has let down some of these people.

Then you do have many able bodied folks that simply feed their addictions by begging. Again, mental health. I have known alcoholics all my life, and with the proper social support i.e. family and friends, dedication to AA meetings, etc., can clean up and regain/keep their productive life. But again, society needs to help foster addiction treatment. And real treatment, not the 28 day crap. Life is much longer than 28 days and the real stress is in the real world, not some damn rehab clinic.

Then you just have the people that chose the life so they do not have to live by any rules. They get fed along with the rest of them at soup kitchens, etc. and really frost ******, as they have no physical or mental issue that stops them from holding a job.

So I buy McDonald's gift certificates and if I feel someone is genuinely in need, I will flip them one of those, as most of their begging outposts are by a McDs.

I have ran an experiment though where the people have the "Will Work For Food" signs. I have offered them yard work for food several times. Always turn me down and just ask if I can give them a fiver.

I agree with most of this^. It is a complex issue, and I think "always", "sometimes", and "never" are all morally defensible approaches -- even if the rationales some folks offer for their personal approaches are not always convincing.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was once walking around with some friends when a homeless guy asked for change. I gave $2 which was all the change I had at the time. As I walked away I heard him say:

"ALL RIGHT! Now I can afford that hackey-sack I wanted all day!"
plain.gif

sambojones

Reaction score
I went to a concert at the masquerade in Atlanta a few months back some homeless guy asked for $10 and he said that he'd watch my car and make sure no one messed with it. I gave him $5 he asked for more and I told him that I'd give him another $5 when I got out, he got pissed off and walked away cussing and just kept asking other people for money to watch their cars. Lo and behold I come out and someone broke into my car and took my change tray and spit on all the windows and that homeless guy is no where to be found . I can't prove it but I'm fairly sure it was that piece of sh#t that asked me for money (the spit on the windows was something a person would if it were for something personal) so as far as that goes if I ever see that guy again I'm gonna give him a sound beating, but I'll be a good person after that and call him an ambulance.

My policy has always been to not give the homeless anything ever if they need help they can get help from the government or a charity organization other than that I say let survival of the fittest take care of them.

Beggars and homeless getting donations and charity is borderline slavery in disguise, leeching off the hard work of others while doing nothing productive. Put them to work in the mines I say! My parents came to the U.S. from third world countries speaking little english and they worked their asses off to make good in life if the homeless people here can't make good in their native country which provides an abundance of opportunities then tough luck.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
I only like bums that are useful or can do tricks. You know, like the "NINJAS KILLED MY FAMILY/NEED MONEY FOR KUNG-FU LESSONS" bum in Times Square (whom I've met) or the robot guys along the Mile in Chicago.

There's one bum in particular that I am rather fond of. He's apparently dubbed himself Lord of the Lot and stands posted at a parking lot that's almost always full in a trendy part of the city. If it's full, he'll wave you on by but otherwise he'll motion for you to come on in and direct you to any vacant spots. I've stopped by on a Friday, told him I'd need a spot on Saturday at a specific time during some of the busiest hours, and he's reserved it for me by placing a parking cone there. I surely tipped him well.

(The fact that I buy him the occasional pint bottle of Seagram's probably didn't hurt either.)

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sambojones
...he said that he'd watch my car and make sure no one messed with it.

That's part of my aforementioned bum's service as well. I park there all the time and not a problem yet.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for making me spill popcorn shrimp all over the keyboard. I did not expect this.
crackup[1].gif

Originally Posted by FidelCashflow

"ALL RIGHT! Now I can afford that hackey-sack I wanted all day!"
plain.gif

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lawyerdad, you're making good use of your legal training.
worship.gif

Originally Posted by lawyerdad
I don't really have a uniform policy. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. At least they're recycling the cans. If the situation permits, I'm more likely to buy and offer them some food.

Yes, he's probably a good proxy for everyone in that situation.
sarcasm.gif

sarcasm.gif

That kind of certainly is quite comforting, thanks.
sarcasm.gif

I agree with most of this^. It is a complex issue, and I think "always", "sometimes", and "never" are all morally defensible approaches -- even if the rationales some folks offer for their personal approaches are not always convincing.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
thanks for making me spill popcorn shrimp all over the keyboard. I did not expect this.
crackup[1].gif

Now this is quite the visual. I can't imagine anyone on this site sitting down to a bucket of popcorn shrimp to read about clothing. You'll stain the fabric with your greasy!

Dedalus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate homeless people. These are the only group of people that I dislike. Racists and homophobes are better people in my eyes.

I don't have any cash on me. This is my last cigarette. **** off.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of the time, I'd give them the change I have or dollars in my pocket. Who am I to judge what they do with that money? It's not like I can predict what they'll do with it.

X-It

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
Most of the time, I'd give them the change I have or dollars in my pocket. Who am I to judge what they do with that money? It's not like I can predict what they'll do with it.

I agree with you. Who are we to judge what they do with that money we give?!
If you want to give them money... give it. if you don't, then don't give it.

You are a good Samaritan. God bless you, son.
smile.gif

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
There's no doubt in my mind that my experience with the rich guy panhandling and going home to a wife and kids is an oddity. I would imagine that it isn't very common. The whole thing just turned me off to the idea though. Now, I'll give to charities that help the homeless instead.
Please don't take this the wrong way and try to understand what I'm saying as just my own observations because I know nothing about you whatsoever. I am just saying everyone has these stories. It sounds so rare and I often wonder why I don't see it or why I don't read about it in the news. To be honest, I question these accounts. Here is what I believe when it comes to the homeless and giving (in no uncertain order): 1) It is good to give what you can. Nobody forces you to give or even expects it. Don't defend how much or how little you give. 2) I don't think people choose to be homeless or to beg. In fact, I don't know if i would be capable of it. Perhaps I'm too proud or haven't had my spirit crushed to that extent. 3) Most homeless people have mental disorders. I believe over 75% actually. 4) It has to be even harder getting yourself out of that "hole" once you're in it. 5) Believe in the good of people. 6) Giving money to someone that might spend it on alcohol doesn't encourage them to drink. If they're going to abuse a substance, I'm sure they'll do it anyway. Plus I'm not so sure I fault anyone for wanting to forget about life if they're in that situation. But that's just what I believe.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
sarcasm.gif

Every couple of years the news magazine shows will do an interest piece on beggars and thats the number a/yr that they usually come to. Thats from interviewing people who actually panhandle as a job. So yeah, in that sense it is empirical.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo

Well it's your money being freely given by you. I think you have every right in the world to judge in this case. You are also free not to judge, as again, it is your money freely given. So judging optional but every right to judge if you should so desire.

LD: always scares me when an attorney quotes me at length and agrees
tounge.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads