• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giving money to homeless beggars

centalones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hi-val
There's one panhandler in Columbus that I will give change to, but that's it. He's kind of a local landmark for OSU students, as he has rhymes and jokes and stuff and he's not actually pushy at all about it. I figure if the guy can entertain me with a rhyming couplet, he's earned the quarter in my pocket. I think I do that because he's not plying sympathy and guilt like so many other panhandlers do.
+1. Word is the guy even has a CD out. I'm pretty sure he makes a killing compared to all the other panhandlers in Columbus.

Anytime I give anything to homeless people, it is always just because I want them to shut up. I never buy any of their stories: the guy who needs money because he has a pacemaker yet still smokes, the person who is constantly having his car broken down while transporting his pregnant wife or sick kids on 14th and Indianola, everyone who just needs 79 cents to make busfare everyday. These people are so annoying and unbelievable when you see the same faces give you the same lines day after day.

I'd say the most annoying trend I've noticed from Columbus bums is their insistence on shaking hands, which is just to establish rapport with their mark--you. It just makes me more annoyed, makes me more likely to remember their face in order to avoid them next time, and makes me want to wash my hands.

Smokestack

Reaction score
Location always seems to part of the equation as well, although certainly not the only consideration. Being able to walk by someone on the street negates lingering guilt often but when they step on your subway car right before you head over a bridge, you're stuck hearing their story and avoiding their eye contact in a confined space for a concerted period of time.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Not sure where you got that from my post, so you'll have to clarify. PS check this out for an isolated example of what happens quite often ... Professional Panhandlers
Well you worked in a soup kitchen and said their money goes to booze and drugs. I'm just trying to understand what aisle or section of the soup kitchen sold the booze and drugs you saw purchased with money others donated. Some here may want to visit that section of the soup kitchen now as well to do their shopping. It's like a duty free shop at the airport I suppose.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
From here
ransom.jpg
http://bp3.blogger.com/_bkFIPLIOGL8/SBEPfEx0vFI/AAAAAAAAMT0/4gqeiGvfWdM/s400/****.jpg
jedi.jpg

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"betcha can't hit me with a quarter." LMFAO.
crackup[1].gif
lol8[1].gif

Originally Posted by acidicboy
From here

ransom.jpg

http://bp3.blogger.com/_bkFIPLIOGL8/SBEPfEx0vFI/AAAAAAAAMT0/4gqeiGvfWdM/s400/****.jpg

jedi.jpg

Frank Rizzo

Reaction score
I gave $10 to a guy in NYC when I was a teenager because I bought his stupid story about him having his car stolen with his wallet in it. I don't give ANYTHING to them, and I probably get asked a few times a week.

I believe in donating to good causes. I donate clothing, furniture, and other things to refugee services and charities but I don't give out cash money to stangers anymore under ANY circumstances.

DicDictionary

Reaction score
I would rather donate my time than my money.

A woman asked me for money a month ago and I gave her some change. She handed it back. For some reason I was filled with rage.

Chinook

Reaction score
I have only given money to one homeless person before. In Saskatoon we have this man that is a bit of a legend.. His name is Sailor Dan.

123472471_240a3fe0a6_o.jpg

I had seen the man many a time while driving down Broadway as a young kid.. Didn't really know what he was all about, thought he was just one weird dude that sold drawings.

Last summer I went on a mad hunt for him.. I finally tracked him down and inquired about purchasing a drawing.. he firmly said $40 and I said $20. We swapped goods and parted ways.. He was decked out in bell bottoms and a sailor hat. Odd guy.

I've also gave a box of pizza to a man in Chicago, he was quite happy with me.

http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarp...6-eec583960843

Toad

Reaction score
I have sympathy for the homeless, but I don't trust these so-called "homeless beggars." If I'm going to donate to them, I'm going to do so through a reputable charity.
musicboohoo[1].gif

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much does where you live play into it? By where you live I mean in the city / suburbia / out in the sticks.

I live in and spend most of my time in Central London. If I listened to every story about needing cash I would never get to where I am going, and we are talking every day of the week whether I am out on business or socially. If I gave to everyone, I would be handing out cash all over the place.

If you spend most of your time in suburbia you may encounter beggars less frequently, in which case you might be less desensitized and frustrated with them and therefore more willing to take a moment or spare some cash.

K

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Well you worked in a soup kitchen and said their money goes to booze and drugs. I'm just trying to understand what aisle or section of the soup kitchen sold the booze and drugs you saw purchased with money others donated. Some here may want to visit that section of the soup kitchen now as well to do their shopping. It's like a duty free shop at the airport I suppose.
If we sold booze and drugs we'd have no trouble funding the place.
laugh.gif
But seriously, they told us what they did with the money. Booze, drugs, you name it. They didn't need it for food, so everything they got was extra. It was almost like they were proud of their accomplishments, so they would brag to us about how their take went to fund their addictions. What do you expect? Our church was in an area populated mostly by students from rather wealthy families (Ivy League college). They saw it as swindling the "rich folk" by deceiving them with stories of woe and hunger. Quite sad, really.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads