• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gitman Brothers Vintage

Ben323

Reaction score
Anyone know of a place in L.A. that sells GBV? I'm a bit scared of ordering online because of the sizing, I'd prefer to trying them on first.

kentpope

Reaction score
Anyone know of a place in L.A. that sells GBV? I'm a bit scared of ordering online because of the sizing, I'd prefer to trying them on first.

Mohawk General Store in Silver Lake
Unionmade in Brentwood Country Mart
South Willard on 3rd Street (keep in mind that SW's GBV shirts have 2.5" collars instead of the standard 3" - sizing is otherwise the same though)

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Barneys has them in flagship Beverly Hills
Fred segal Santa Monica should as well

Ben323

Reaction score
South Willard on 3rd Street (keep in mind that SW's GBV shirts have 2.5" collars instead of the standard 3" - sizing is otherwise the same though)
Thank for the info - just went to Mokawk and picked up a shirt. I was way off on sizing, I'm glad I actually got to try a couple on before making the purchase.

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

damn, after seeing ur post, i went check out Mohawk for the first time (because i also live in silverlake) and bought an engineered garments tie... SF knows how to get me to spend :censored:

Last edited:

Micx

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm looking to buy a GMV shirt, but I need some advice on sizing. I'm 1.88 cm tall, pretty broad over the shoulders. I use large in most of my shirts, and in Italian brands sometimes XL. I use large in Surface to Air which fits me perfectly. I also use large with Barbour. Are anyone familiar with Surface to Air, maybe they can compare? When I see the size chart on Context clothing it seems like the gap between large and extra large is really huge. Like two whole inches from pit to pit. There are no stores in Norway that sells them, so I'm kinda clueless to what size I should get. Are GMV generally big in sizes?

Any tips are much appreciated!

InHocSignio

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm looking to buy a GMV shirt, but I need some advice on sizing. I'm 1.88 cm tall, pretty broad over the shoulders. I use large in most of my shirts, and in Italian brands sometimes XL. I use large in Surface to Air which fits me perfectly. I also use large with Barbour. Are anyone familiar with Surface to Air, maybe they can compare? When I see the size chart on Context clothing it seems like the gap between large and extra large is really huge. Like two whole inches from pit to pit. There are no stores in Norway that sells them, so I'm kinda clueless to what size I should get. Are GMV generally big in sizes?

Any tips are much appreciated!

Ok. First assumptions: By "GMV", you meant to abbreviate to "GBV" ("Gitman Brothers Vintage"), and you are really 1.88 m tall (6' 1.5'' tall), not 1.88 cm tall. I will base my advice on the fact that I"m nearly the same height as you (6' 2.5"), and have broader, athletic shoulders than "normal", not necessarily wider though.

My average shirt, which is more towards the fitted side, has the following measurements: 18.5'' shoulder to shoulder, 22'' pit to pit, 31'' back length, 26.5'' sleeve length. On the most fitted side, I can pull of 18'' S2S, 21.5'' P2P, 30-31'' back length, 25'' sleeve length.

Therefore, I think you should definitely be looking at a Large, not an XL, if your measurements are anything close to mine. For one reason, Gitman consistently advertises its shirts as "trim, not slim fitting"; they want you to know that their shirts have more give than the usual slim-fitting shirts, and allow for easier movement. A Large on Context is advertised as 19.5'' S2S, which seems quite right to me; I'm wearing Large GBV right now and the shoulder line of the shirt is slightly past my natural one, and even more broader shoulders than mine should have plenty of space. I also have slightly longer than normal arms for my height, or so my tailor tells me, and GBV shirt sleeves fit perfectly on me to where I like; if you are slightly shorter than me, with a normal arm length, they should be quite fine for you as well.

Last edited:

Micx

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your reply. I think I have to go for a large as well. Going to do a few more measurements with my favorite shirts, but seems like large is my size. And yes, im 1.88 meters, not cm, haha. Thanks again!

Fallen Angels

Reaction score
hey guys, I have a sizing question for the GBV button down shirts. I only have experience with the Overdyed oxford, which I got couple years ago so I dont know if anything has changed since then. for that overdyed oxford, a size M fits me absolutely perfectly (i am 5'10" and 170 lbs). i'm interested in getting one of the print button down shirts from Unionmade. Do these shirts really fit differently from the overdyed oxford? I ask because i noticed the measurements for the two shirts on UM are pretty different (for example, overdyed chest in M is 22" while button down chest is 20.5). any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hey guys, I have a sizing question for the GBV button down shirts. I only have experience with the Overdyed oxford, which I got couple years ago so I dont know if anything has changed since then. for that overdyed oxford, a size M fits me absolutely perfectly (i am 5'10" and 170 lbs). i'm interested in getting one of the print button down shirts from Unionmade. Do these shirts really fit differently from the overdyed oxford? I ask because i noticed the measurements for the two shirts on UM are pretty different (for example, overdyed chest in M is 22" while button down chest is 20.5). any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Follow their measurements you have to size differently depending on shirt

Broark

Reaction score
Picked up a Japanese Dobby from Idigo And Cotton, love the fabric. Trying to limit myself to one Gitman per season but it's tough.

albite

Reaction score
Can someone comment on the sizing of the Linen Dobby (polka dots)? I checked out the sizing charts of indigo and cotton, acrimony, and context and they all have different measurements.

Broark

Reaction score

Can someone comment on the sizing of the Linen Dobby (polka dots)?  I checked out the sizing charts of indigo and cotton, acrimony, and context and they all have different measurements.

I feel like the one I got is pretty similar to the other GBV shirts I own really.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is the cherry seersucker? Thinking about may picking it up. I actually don't think I know what seersucker is.

Also, anywhere with the pineapple in long sleeve?

Last edited:

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seersucker is light and a little wrinkly like linen. It was made for warm weather. I don't have the shirts though.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ocutene