• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gilbert Center Umbrella Repair: WOW!

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought an SAB golf umbrella from Howard Yount back when Jamison was starting out and it developed a hole in a spot where the canopy had come unstitched from the rib. I went up to New York for a long weekend Friday and decided to try to get it repaired.
On Thursday, I called Rain or Shine, who people here have suggested use Gilbert Center of Brooklyn for repairs and can often offer a quick turn-around, and asked if there was any possibility of dropping it off Friday and picking it up Tuesday. When I told the woman who answered it was an SAB, she said she couldn't help me and gave me another number to try. When I asked who the number belonged to, she said "Gilbert Center."
I called Gilbert and he told me he would be in Manhattan Saturday and would pick the umbrella up at my hotel. He arrived at noon on the dot and asked again when I was leaving. He said in that case he would have to return it Sunday (the next day) when he came to Manhattan to see his chiropractor.
At noon Sunday, Gilbert returns my umbrella and explains that he believes that SAB sews their canopies too tight in order to get their strong shape and advises me to leave it open when it's drying. He explains that he has removed the entire canopy and re-sewn it as there were other weak spots ready to go.
The charge for rush service with pick-up and delivery at my hotel with virtually no advance notice? $50!!!! This man is a true gem.
satisfied.gif

caldervale

Reaction score
Amazing! Do you have the number? I may be in need of this man's services at some point soon.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caldervale
Amazing! Do you have the number? I may be in need of this man's services at some point soon.

I left his number at the hotel, but Rain or Shine will give it to you: (212) 741-9650.

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Gilbert Center
154 East 8th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11218
(p) 212-741-9650
(c) 917-692-2078

He is the authorized repair man for Brigg but he recently restored a very old umbrella for us and it looks terrific!

Best Regards,

Gary

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads