• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GIANLUCA ISAIA...Good or Bad Model

bunnyoswaldo

Reaction score
Greetings: Somewhat new to the forum and have done some reading of prior posts. I have my eyes on a a GIANLUCA ISAIA suit listed on the ebay. Item no 180508177722. I have read that there are some ISAIA's that are not of the level as the company's main and best known offerings. How does one tell from a label, observable construction standpoint? I guess my question is, absent asking someone to do the pinch and float test to determine if the canvas is fused, 1/2&1/2 or fully floating....are there any other telltale signs. Thoughts on this suit in particular? Its only at $15 with one day left....thanks and greetings to all.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
this is a mainline and will be fully canvassed.

btw this topic has been discussed before - do a search.

good luck.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Maybe you should do a search. It is fully canvassed, but it's not mainline.

kindly explain.

this is quite clearly not the gianluca diffusion line. so is there a middle line i'm not aware of? to me this looks like an older (pre-red label) mainline.

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vtechnwn
It's a great deal. From my understanding, there are 3 different lines. The Gianluca Napoli, the Isaia Napoli, and the Enrico Isaia, from lower to higher quality.

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...Gianluca-Isaia

Frankly, I would have totally bid on this item if it fit me, but the sleeves are too short, even if they were let out.

thank you for posting this.

i read the thread but everyone is all over the place.

since there doesn't ever seem to have been any definitive resolution of this, let me take a crack at summarizing what i know.

i have always believed there were only two Isaia lines (in terms of substance, and putting aside what the label names are as i suspect these have changed over time):

1 - mainline, which is entirely canvassed, significant hand work, etc. -- prices ranging from ~$2500-~$3500. over the years, the labels have changed from white on black to black on red. the key obvious indicator of mainline or mainline-equivalent is the PRESENCE of the word "Isaia"

2 - diffusion line, which is fused. key obvious indicator is ABSENCE of word "Isaia"

the post you have linked to suggests that there is a level above the current mainline black-on-red "Isaia Napoli" label called Enrico Isaia.

Rebel222 contends that, additionally, "Gianluca Isaia Napoli" is different from "Isaia Napoli" (while I believe it's just an older incarnation of the current mainline.)

if all of the above is true, it would suggest there are four (!) levels, from worst to best:

1 - gianluca (fused)
2 - gianluca isaia napoli (canvassed, unclear how different from 3? doesn't seem to exist today anyway)
3 - isaia napoli (mainline)
4 - enrico isaia (super-mainline?)

is this really correct? something seems off here. my belief is that 2) is the same as 3) in terms to specs, and 4) is defunct as i've never, ever seen one offered anywhere (note also that the askandy thread dates back to 2006 and may possibly be not reflective of today's reality...)

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by OttoSkadelig
thank you for posting this. i read the thread but everyone is all over the place. since there doesn't ever seem to have been any definitive resolution of this, let me take a crack at summarizing what i know. i have always believed there were only two Isaia lines (in terms of substance, and putting aside what the label names are as i suspect these have changed over time): 1 - mainline, which is entirely canvassed, significant hand work, etc. -- prices ranging from ~$2500-~$3500. over the years, the labels have changed from white on black to black on red. the key obvious indicator of mainline or mainline-equivalent is the PRESENCE of the word "Isaia" 2 - diffusion line, which is fused. key obvious indicator is ABSENCE of word "Isaia" the post you have linked to suggests that there is a level above the current mainline black-on-red "Isaia Napoli" label called Enrico Isaia. Rebel222 contends that, additionally, "Gianluca Isaia Napoli" is different from "Isaia Napoli" (while I believe it's just an older incarnation of the current mainline.) if all of the above is true, it would suggest there are four (!) levels, from worst to best: 1 - gianluca (fused) 2 - gianluca isaia napoli (canvassed, unclear how different from 3? doesn't seem to exist today anyway) 3 - isaia napoli (mainline) 4 - enrico isaia (super-mainline?) is this really correct? something seems off here. my belief is that 2) is the same as 3) in terms to specs, and 4) is defunct as i've never, ever seen one offered anywhere (note also that the askandy thread dates back to 2006 and may possibly be not reflective of today's reality...)
Your original thoughts are correct - Gianluca Isaia Napoli and Isaia Napoli are the same line, just from different time periods. The blue tag with 'Gian Luca' in orangish lettering (no Isaia present on the label) is the diffusion line. The suit linked in the original post is mainline, circa 2001-2003. AFAIK, the Gian Luca line no longer exists. And I don't believe the Enrico Isaia line has been made within the past ten years. This was the only style of tag used by the Gian Luca diffusion line (everything else is mainline):
4354776131_19a04ebca1_b.jpg

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
Your original thoughts are correct - Gianluca Isaia Napoli and Isaia Napoli are the same line, just from different time periods.

The blue tag with 'Gian Luca' in orangish lettering (no Isaia present on the label) is the diffusion line.

The suit linked in the original post is mainline, circa 2001-2003.

AFAIK, the Gian Luca line no longer exists. And I don't believe the Enrico Isaia line has been made within the past ten years.

This was the only style of tag used by the Gian Luca diffusion line (everything else is mainline):

G]

yep

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bunnyoswaldo
and this would be?

Full canvassed; but older model.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Enrico Isaia was the top end of the line with lots of handiwork, but was dropped about 5 years ago.

Gianluca Napoli was diffusion line as noted - fused, but with more of the Base S styling - and was dropped about 18 months ago and replaced with the Collarosso line, which is also fused, but has a different silhouette than the older diffusion line.

Anything else with varying versions of the black & white label is mainline/real deal Isaia, but there were a wide range of models with different names (Stewart, Cary, Gregory, Vincent, Scott, etc.) and variations in body and shoulder cuts, including some made exclusively for the European market.

Only challenge with buying an older versions is nailing down which model it is and whether that cut works for you.

Majority of current line in US is Base S, sometimes Base V (slimmer body, higher armholes, slight rope to shoulder), and I have been seeing some Base Gs as well...

Hope this helps...

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spark
Enrico Isaia was the top end of the line with lots of handiwork, but was dropped about 5 years ago.

Gianluca Napoli was diffusion line as noted - fused, but with more of the Base S styling - and was dropped about 18 months ago and replaced with the Collarosso line, which is also fused, but has a different silhouette than the older diffusion line.

spark, are you sure about this -- i have tried a Corallorosso jacket and it very definitely was fully canvassed.

bunnyoswaldo

Reaction score
Thanks for all the imput (especially the age/year) All in all I could not get too jazzed about a 10 yr old suit. I ended up opting for a bit pricier but less used yr old Borrelli

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads