• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting started with vinyl

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLay87
Depends on what kind of music you're into. I listen to a lot of lo-fi, DIY albums and older stuff, so I've always gravitated towards the older "higher quality" equipment. My dad has a turntable he bought in the 70's for a ton of money and I really enjoy it, along with an amp and some speakers from the same era. Just replaced the stylus and I was set.

When it comes to vinyl/cassettes I'm a lo-fi junkie; if I wan't quality I'll listen to my ipod.

EDIT: Just wanted to brag about my latest acquisition.

sb200g.jpg

Yes, that is a glow in the dark skull shaped record.
biggrin.gif

EDIT 2: Sorry about the size.

jerome's dream/orchid split! i sold my copy a while ago. regret it all teh time.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
once again, i'm a reverse leading indicator. i was a record critic back in the late 70s and early 80s and still had a bunch of stuff, despite periodic culls. i figured nobody would want vinyl anymore, but i was tired of storing them, so i did one more hard sort and took them to my local good record store. wound up with, literally, about 6 linear feet of lps (mostly blues/country/"american roots"). almost fainted. the guy gave me $800 for them.

migo

Reaction score
I'm saving up for my first system too (every bachelor pad needs a nice stereo, right?
laugh.gif
)

Anyway, I've heard good things about the Rega P1 TT, but can anyone share any thoughts on it? Also, does anyone know how it pairs with the above mentioned phono pre-amp?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by migo
I'm saving up for my first system too (every bachelor pad needs a nice stereo, right?
laugh.gif
)

Anyway, I've heard good things about the Rega P1 TT, but can anyone share any thoughts on it? Also, does anyone know how it pairs with the above mentioned phono pre-amp?

The P1 is really good but the new replacement the RP1 is even better if you can afford that slightly more expensive version.

Generally speaking turntables and phono stages match fine - it's the cartridge and phono stage interface that is most important. And the more entry level there is generally no problems there either.

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
laugh.gif
)

I checked it out when shopping for a turntable and it seemed great but the manual speed change was a dealbreaker for me. This may not be an issue if you don't have 7"s, but I wasn't going to remove the platter and reattach the belt every time I switched between 33 and 45 rpm.

migo

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know of an actual store in the DC/MD/VA area that I can visit to check this stuff out?

k9n

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know of an actual store in the DC/MD/VA area that I can visit to check this stuff out?

Please let me know if you find a shop in dc, just moved here...

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by k9n

Please let me know if you find a shop in dc, just moved here...

Call the US Distributor:

United States GMT - 5hrs (BST - 5hrs)

The Sound Organisation is the US Distributor for Rega.
Please contact them for details of a Rega dealer near you.

The Sound Organisation

Stephen Daniels
159 Leslie Street
Dallas
Texas 75207

Tel: 001 972 234 0182
Fax: 001 972 234 0249

E-Mail: [email protected]

migo

Reaction score
spoke with the guy at sound org. This is the DMV store he told me about:

Gifted Listener Audio
5720 Pickwick Road
Centreville, VA 20121
703-818-8000

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're, like, 40 years late, dude.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
i'm actually curious if anyone knows of a nice looking record shelf besides those ikea ones. i have a really beautiful one built into my css but it only holds like 25 records (and the player) and none of the modules are produced anymore regardless.

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Three steps to good cheap vinyl sound...

Look at the $200 Audio Technica PL-120:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica...9833118&sr=8-1

Add an Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge at $99:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon-...hono-Cartridge

Add an Audio Technic phono stage for $44:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Brand-St...dio-Technica_3

Then sit back and enjoy the music through existing stereo.
smile.gif

Audiophile advice: Avoid Pro-Ject and Music Hall tables. Just trust me on that. Avoid really cheap cartridges as well.

Since that table has a built-in preamp, I would almost suggest he get a quality headphone amp and headphones and forgo the rest of the crap that comes with a receiver. When I was into headphones, my final setup was a PPP amp with the diamond discrete buffers that I built myself paired with Senn 650s. I was very pleased with that setup. The whole thing was less than $800 IIRC and obviously sounded better than the Bowers and Wilkins 683s I have now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads