Getting started with vinyl

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Jekyll, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

As a broke-ass student, how much would I have to spend to get a decent setup? I'd be using headphones, so would I just need a turntable and receiver? Is buying used a good idea?

2. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

As a broke-ass student, how much would I have to spend to get a decent setup? I'd be using headphones, so would I just need a turntable and receiver?
    That's all that's required, yes. You can get a decent starter turntable for $100. If you buy a used turntable make sure you start with a replacement stylus because you'll have no idea how many hours are on it.
    Yes. If you have a local record shop you're in luck, because you'll be able to physically inspect the records. Beware ebay, they all lie about the condition.

3. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Senior member

Check local thrift stores.....

Last time I went to good will they had 3 turn tables....

1 from the 1950's with built in speakers and a tube amp.
    1 from the 1980's
    1 from the 1990's

All $20 or less, and they worked.

4. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

depends on what you want to do with vinyl.

5. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

What do you mean by "decent"?

1 - You could go with a vintage turntable from a thrift shop and change the stylus. Cheapest option. Some effort required but if you're lucky you could make a good find.

2 - You could buy a low-end turntable in the $100-200 range. Gemini, Stanton, Numark, Technics, etc.

3 - You could get an entry-level quality turntable. I have a Pro-Ject Debut III and recommend it (I got the Phono SB version with built-in phono pre-amp and speed box - essential for quickly switching between 33 and 45 rpm). This will run you about $400-500.

I went through all of these in that order. The first 2 were OK for awhile but once I finished school, I really wanted to upgrade.

6. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

^ Probably 1 or 2. If the turntable has a pre-amp will I still need a receiver? And what should I look for in a receiver?

7. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

^ Probably 1 or 2. If the turntable has a pre-amp will I still need a receiver? And what should I look for in a receiver?

You need both a pre-amp and an amp (receiver). Most turntables don't have an integrated pre-amp so you'll need a receiver with a phono input (built-in phono preamp). Almost all vintage receivers have one but it's been omitted in many modern ones for obvious reasons.

8. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

do technics 1200s make reasonable tables for home audio purposes only?

there are a few failed dream djs around me offloading them for pretty cheap... i like the retro utilitarian look of them.

9. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Depends on what kind of music you're into. I listen to a lot of lo-fi, DIY albums and older stuff, so I've always gravitated towards the older "higher quality" equipment. My dad has a turntable he bought in the 70's for a ton of money and I really enjoy it, along with an amp and some speakers from the same era. Just replaced the stylus and I was set. When it comes to vinyl/cassettes I'm a lo-fi junkie; if I wan't quality I'll listen to my ipod. EDIT: Just wanted to brag about my latest acquisition. [​IMG] Yes, that is a glow in the dark skull shaped record. [​IMG] EDIT 2: Sorry about the size.

10. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

if I wan't quality I'll listen to my ipod.

uh oh

11. Khayembii Communique

Khayembii Communique Senior member

Ipod, computer, whatevs. I'm obviously not an audiophile. [​IMG]

12. breitlingman

breitlingman Well-Known Member

Best value for turntable IMO for price/performance is to buy a used TT like a Dual from a vintage record shop. There are usually a few of these in bigger cities at least around here. I bought a nice Dual 704 with an older but good-sounding Shure cartridge on it for $100, and it outperformed by Pro-Ject Debut II that i had at the time that came with the lousy Ortofon OM5 cartridge, and that TT cost much more.

13. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Three steps to good cheap vinyl sound... Look at the $200 Audio Technica PL-120: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica...9833118&sr=8-1 Add an Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge at $99: http://www.needledoctor.com/Ortofon-...hono-Cartridge Add an Audio Technic phono stage for $44: http://www.needledoctor.com/Brand-St...dio-Technica_3 Then sit back and enjoy the music through existing stereo. [​IMG] Audiophile advice: Avoid Pro-Ject and Music Hall tables. Just trust me on that. Avoid really cheap cartridges as well.

14. k9n

k9n Senior member

This proved helpful for me as well, thanks!