• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting started dressing decently.

jbmurse

Reaction score
I'm kind of in the same boat as dopethrone. Although, I'm starting grad school and going from scrubs everyday to suits and "business casual." A buddy of mine said a black cap toe is a must, since I need black shoes. I've narrowed it down, but do I go with a blutcher style or balmoral? I'm in a whole new world of style, and my taste doesn't meet my budget.

Thanks for the help. The forum is great.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm kind of in the same boat as dopethrone. Although, I'm starting grad school and going from scrubs everyday to suits and "business casual." A buddy of mine said a black cap toe is a must, since I need black shoes. I've narrowed it down, but do I go with a blutcher style or balmoral? I'm in a whole new world of style, and my taste doesn't meet my budget.

Balmoral. Get bluchers in brown after that.

Last edited:

dopethrone

Reaction score
Sure, I'm glad to help. Let's talk specifically about what you are looking for, and I'll try to offer suggestions as to locations to look for items.

As for tailors - I use Mario Bosco on Peidmont Road. But he's not by any means the only choice.

Someone else on here mentioned Sid Mashburn's - it's a fine store and if you want to go looking there I certainly recommend it. But it's the kind of place for fairly serious spending and it seems to me that first we need to get you fitted up with some casual basics and a better understanding of what will suit you before you go spending serious money.

Well, specifically at this point, I'm interested in casual. That's a pretty vague term, but like a few other people mentioned, much of it is trial + error! So, specifically I'd be looking for clothes to wear out around the town that wouldn't necessarily make a 23 year old seem too overdressed. Really, I only have clothes shopping experience in places like some of the shops in Little 5 Points or some of the department stores at Cumberland Mall. As much as I'd like to wear formal wear and look great, it's not necessary at this point. Maybe if I my career path ends up leading me away from the government sector into the corporate world, I'll be able to reach that bridge.

I did not notice this particular WAYWRN thread before I created this one, but the MC Casual Style topic has some pretty decent looks in it, I think. Of course, there are plenty that don't fit with my personality/body type and a few that I just do not care for, but there's also some good pieces in there that could be nice additions in the near future.

dopethrone

Reaction score
Shirts - depending on your budget, I think MTM is by far your best bet. Moderntailor has a great deal for new customers to let you get your fit down to a T. When it comes to shirts, which basically are the horses of your wardrobe, it does not make sense not to go MTM for moderately entry level shirts. For roughly the same shirt as a new Banana Republic or J.Crew shirt, it makes no sense to me to not go MTM.
Gdot hit the rest on the head. Look for trim clothes and not slim. You want things to fit you well as accent your body (no ****). Most of all, be sure to chronicle your journey on here.

Thanks for the MTM recommendation. I took a brief look around, and it's great! Everything falls within my pricerange and it's all so customizable. Definitely going to take advantage of the new customer offer.

Dinosarti

Reaction score

You have demonstrated great wisdom in your post - you are right - if you want to be treated like an adult you need to look like one.

As you are young and on a very limited budget................my advice is to focus on good fit. You will find that even inexpensive clothes will serve you pretty well if they fit right.

Focus on a few basics - a couple of pairs of good fitting jeans (It's ok if they are Levis - as long as they fit well), a couple of pairs of lighter colored cotton pants and a couple of pairs of darker colored wool pants. All solids - no patterns, length hemmed appropriately. Stay focused on the plain old boring basic colors, tan, navy blue, dark grey, etc. etc.

A few well fitting shirts - polos and oxford cloth button downs are good choices - you can also include some patterns here as you didn't include them in your trousers - right?

Leather shoes in medium brown and black with belts to match (these don't have to be super dressy - look for shoes/belts that will work with jeans, khakis and occasionally with the wool pants. You can add some cheap web belts from ebay and sneakers etc. etc. if you like.

Once you have these basics down report back here for additional instruction. DISMISSED! (I'm only kidding)

The trick is to never buy something that doesn't fit you well just because it is available or cheap..........keep on shopping. And to learn to walk before you run.

You might be surprised that you can get away with quite a few things from lower priced places like H&M, Gap, Banana Republic, etc. etc for many of these casual basics - just keep your eye out for all natural fabrics, and good quality sewing (seems should not pucker etc. etc)

Quality suits and sportcoats will take a minor investment and probably should wait until you have some of the other items under control. But.....while you are shopping try on suit jackets so that you can learn your size. This will come in handy later.

+1 here. This really great advice!

Dinosarti

Reaction score

Bluchers are considered slightly more casual than balmorals/ Oxfords, but that is a fairly narrow distinction. The classic difference simply relates to the lacing hole being inside or outside the shoe...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads