• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting a suit in Northern Virginia.

pack66

Reaction score
I found this sight while looking for suggestions on purchasing a new suit. After doing extensive searches on the forum, I'm more than a bit overwhelmed and hoping for a little guidance. I'm here in DC for about 18 months and need to pick up one/preferably two suits for work. I have three already that I like and seem to fit moderately well, but really need a couple more.

Currently I have about $500 to spend. I found a DKNY suit at NM Last Call for less than $250 which fit me rather well. I'm sure the quality isn't great though, compared to other suit makers and am thinking maybe I should just go for a MTM or something else. After reading a bunch and trying on a bunch I guess I'm "suit fatigued" and just want to get this over.

So as I see it, here are my options:

-DKNY suit for around $250 and pick something else up.
-Get one suit from Suit Supply and save up for another later.
-Indochino MTM...but I'd probably wait til the traveling tailor comes to DC (I'd rather not wait though).

Others I've look at are VM Clothiers (possibly too expensive for now), Propersuit.com (same) and ArdenReed.com (haven't heard a lot about them).

I've checked out Jos A. Banks and their signature line. They do have a sale (basically buy 1 get two free...so 3 for $900), but I'm just not enthused with anything I tried on there. On top of that, the young kid that I was working with didn't bother to measure me at all....just a basic, "Here, try this size on." I purposely told him I didn't know my size (42R) to see if he'd bother to measure me first.

I've also thought about English American (sp?) in Westminster, MD...but it's probably a little to a lot out of my price range.

Anyways, new here to the sight and I appreciate any help anyone could provide.

Thanks!

Rich0116

Reaction score
You say you have three suits but need two more. Do they have to be suits? 'Cause I'd say you'd be better served by picking up a quality navy blazer and rotating that in twice a week, varying the pants/shirt/tie. No one will ever think you're wearing "that same old thing."

Barring that I'd say try Suit Supply or hit a Rack/Off Fifth/etc... and look for a Hickey Freeman or something else around that level.

hangthree

Reaction score
If you don't have a basic solid suit in navy or grey, now you be a good time to pick one up:

- navy suit with extra grey pants. Wear jacket like a blazer. Two days covered.
- grey suit with extra pants. Can wear twice a week.

Either option gives you max flexibility. Figure $300 for a suit, $100 for trousers, $100 for alterations.

I think English American start at $600 or so for a suit. Suit supply might be an option.

pack66

Reaction score
Two of the three suits have patterns, one is a plain navy suit. So two of the three I would assume would be noticeable if worn than once per week. I might be able to get away with a blazer, but most of my pants are khaki, so that's an ok option at best.

hangthree

Reaction score
If most of your pants are cotton khakis, then a pair of grey wool trousers woul serve you well. Do you have to wear a suit daily?

pack66

Reaction score
Yes, new job requires a suit every day. Went to a Brooks Brothers outlet store today and tried on a "346". Seemed to fit me well and was decent for the price ($350). I know it's not on the level of the 1818 (according to what I've read), but it seems like it might be a decent suit for my budget. Saks Off 5th didn't have anything I couldn't live without. For the price, the Saks Black Label didn't seem to have the quality of the 346.

Also went to another Jos. A. Banks. I could have two of their Signature (or was it Premier?) suits for $199/suit. That might be an option, although their shoulders don't seem to fit as well as the 346 or the DKNY suits did.

Maybe I need to head to Suit Supply tomorrow and see what they have to offer.

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoulder fit is key and JAB suits don't last. Don't wear your average worsted navy suit jacket as a blazer.
Were you unclear as to how to spell English or American? :D BTW, it's English-American and they start a little north of $600.

Last edited:

Rkcarpio

Reaction score

I am the business development director for Arden Reed and am in NYC. I'd be happy to answer questions for you. Our perfect fit guarantee offers free alterations if/when you need them after receiving your suit from us. Happy shopping!

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't pass on the DKNY suit. I know that some DKNY suits are made in italy. Off the rack suits are often dismissed here in SF. However, with minor alterations (sleeves, inseam, etc) they could work.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't pass on the DKNY suit. I know that some DKNY suits are made in italy.  Off the rack suits are often dismissed here in SF.  However, with minor alterations (sleeves, inseam, etc) they could work.

do not listen to this post

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^
If you can't spend $2K on a suit, you are not worthy.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^^
If you can't spend $2K on a suit, you are not worthy.

It's got nothing to do with that. It's got everything to do with the fact that it's an ugly suit, poorly made. There is nothing redeeming about it.

With some prominent exceptions, most people here are not wearing bespoke suits. Most are OTR. Which, frankly, is usually better anyways. Have seen way more MTM disasters than OTR disasters.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics