• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

speckledstuff

Reaction score
Which one of you F***ers sold out the Rapha core jersey in dark green?! Now I gotta wait.

serious question: what’s the difference between a nice saddle + bib vs.a gel saddle?

As someone who just recently has gotten into cycling and only owns rapha gear (it is within walking distance from my place and I like to try things on before purchasing), I prefer the lightweight core jersey to the core jersey for the hot weather.

Just an FYI but there is no dark green color in the lightweight version.

Also REI has some rapha stuff in case there is a sale or you got some dividend to spend.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who just recently has gotten into cycling and only owns rapha gear (it is within walking distance from my place and I like to try things on before purchasing), I prefer the lightweight core jersey to the core jersey for the hot weather.

Just an FYI but there is no dark green color in the lightweight version.

Also REI has some rapha stuff in case there is a sale or you got some dividend to spend.

I’m in Canada so REI is non existent over here.

The Rapha classic shoes are perfect for me; just have to justify coughing up 300$ for shoes and pedals… plus a bib and jersey…

mamma mia

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I'm so old I remember when Shimano only had the two bolt cleats, road or MTB. :(

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm a long time Time ATAC mtb fanboy...and if I didn't just run ATAC on every bike, I would strongly consider time road pedals.

Like the mtb stuff, they also feature lateral float in addition to the standard angular float...definitely the "exotic" option, but build quality is high and cleats are cheap and long lasting...and IIRC they've added some more inexpensive road models to the lineup so it is no longer a $$$-only route.

If I get a MTB I'll at least check out flats but still worried about gouging up my calves.

I still have scabs on my shin from the picture I posted on 5/30...guess I should have left the tegaderm in place longer.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I brought the creamsicle build to my LBS and fix a botch I did (forgot to add the barrel adjuster into the front brakes and the housing went through the bracket) and the mechanic loved my restoration work.

He taught me how to adjust the cantilever brakes so it’s super tight and also fixed my RD because it was slightly bent. He was stoked that my bike was alive.

His happiness brings me joy.

2467224A-63EE-4C92-8FCF-DFFD80487F04.jpeg

8CB100DA-7C6A-4DCD-9902-17C8D5BAC742.jpeg

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite pieces of kit is this jacket by Chpt3, former pro David Millar's company. It's based on a Castelli jacket and combined with arm warmers, I was comfortable down in the 35-40° range this spring. It's amazingly water resistant and breathes like crazy. I've owned dozens of Gore Tex and softshell jackets over the years but none were great for cycling. They were typically too bulky and/or not nearly breathable enough. This is the first gore tex cycling specific garment I've purchased.

chpt3-rocka-ls-climbing-ivy-1_659e87d4-19fe-4233-afb1-5c0c414a3746_1920x1080.jpg

It fits snug but not tight, keeps the water off and breathes as if cool air is pouring in. This summer's been especially rainy so it's gotten more use this year than ever. It's not emergency rain jacket light. I use it when I know I'll get rain. Not quite lightweight enough to carry every ride.

Currently on sale if you are a size 39.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite pieces of kit is this jacket by Chpt3, former pro David Millar's company. It's based on a Castelli jacket and combined with arm warmers, I was comfortable down in the 35-40° range this spring. It's amazingly water resistant and breathes like crazy. I've owned dozens of Gore Tex and softshell jackets over the years but none were great for cycling. They were typically too bulky and/or not nearly breathable enough. This is the first gore tex cycling specific garment I've purchased.

View attachment 1642825

It fits snug but not tight, keeps the water off and breathes as if cool air is pouring in. This summer's been especially rainy so it's gotten more use this year than ever. It's not emergency rain jacket light. I use it when I know I'll get rain. Not quite lightweight enough to carry every ride.

Currently on sale if you are a size 39.

Wow, I like that. Just read the product page and it looks impressive. Keep the wind off of you?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, I like that. Just read the product page and it looks impressive. Keep the wind off of you?
Absolutely. The fabric is magical stuff. Almost 100% wind and water resistant but doesn't leave me clammy inside. I have soft shells that breath as well but they lose out on wind and water protection. A goretex hard shell is waterproof as hell but doesn't breath worth a damn. This material seems to do it all and it fits great for riding.

I think it came out last season. I bought it early this year when it went on sale.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. The fabric is magical stuff. Almost 100% wind and water resistant but doesn't leave me clammy inside. I have soft shells that breath as well but they lose out on wind and water protection. A goretex hard shell is waterproof as hell but doesn't breath worth a damn. This material seems to do it all and it fits great for riding.

I think it came out last season. I bought it early this year when it went on sale.
Sounds pretty good. I'll have to wait until 42 comes back in stock. Does yours fit TTS?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Core bib is quite nice. It is definitely “good enough” and, since I’m not a perfectionist who seeks out marginal improvements, I think it just might be my go-to from here on. Good value for money. Also, and I know this doesn’t apply to all of you StyFo Adonises, the rise in front comes up to mid-belly, holding less-than-flat stomachs nicely.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Core bib is quite nice. It is definitely “good enough” and, since I’m not a perfectionist who seeks out marginal improvements, I think it just might be my go-to from here on. Good value for money. Also, and I know this doesn’t apply to all of you StyFo Adonises, the rise in front comes up to mid-belly, holding less-than-flat stomachs nicely.

Perfect for me. Any review on the nipple coverage? Gotta protect the nips

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Perfect for me. Any review on the nipple coverage? Gotta protect the nips
I think that would depend greatly on the individual’s nipple position. :) Honestly, it’s something I’ve never considered.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good. I'll have to wait until 42 comes back in stock. Does yours fit TTS?
TTS for me. I went with a 44 and I wear 44 jackets
I think that would depend greatly on the individual’s nipple position. :) Honestly, it’s something I’ve never considered.
Funny you mention nipple coverage @flipstah. I was putting on my Rapha bibs one day and my wife asked if the strap location was designed for nipple coverage. It had never occurred to me before but I can report that the Rapha Classic bibs do in fact cover my nipples.

Unclear on the Rapha Core bibs. Will wait for @sugarbutch to post fit pics later ?.

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How about chafing issues?

(not trying to joak, I am dealing with some underarm abrasions from pearl izumis)

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s funny. There is a clear progression to road cycling kit (and even xc MTB). Most go through it to some degree.

You start with synthetic activewear, then to bike shorts and eventually land on bibs and jerseys. It starts out being about comfort and then a switch goes off in the brain and you start to think kit looks cool while you live out your Eddy Merckx, Lance Armstrong or Peter Sagan fantasies (depending on your age).

If you are lucky you find a like minded group like this one or a local group ride to talk about the merits of Italian chamois’ and electronic shifting.

IMO it’s better than golf.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads