• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

General Bike Thread (Desiderata, Questions, Pics)

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a fair thing to point out. I’ve added a warning.

And to add to the warning don’t do this at home, and don’t do this with even a steel seatpost which has a narrower wall thickness then an alloy seatpost. NEVER EVER EVEN THINK about doing this to carbon fiber or titanium, you will get hurt and it’ll suck.

If you are going to ignore the above warning or ask a professional to do this you want to start with something like the above a forged Aluminum seatpost, don’t do it with a cnc’d seatpost like a Thomson. I’ve seen folks drill out a Thomson stem to route canti cables, and the stems crack.
EXCELLENT.
Very fair warning now; all those points are spot-on.

That Sim Works (by Nitto, forged) post is probably one of the few posts that can take this drilling, and even then only done as carefully and precisely by experts as Alexidb has now explained above.

Completely agree: NEVER do this on c-f, ti, or CNC alu components; those parts are already very highly engineered to reduce weight (some even have rider weight limits), etc., and the risk of causing structural failure by modding them is simply not worth it.

@ Alexidb:
Thank you very much for the understanding and for the consideration of others who may not have (especially on this non-cycling-specific forum) the same experience that you clearly have.
Cheers and best regards.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So the rubber insert (?) for the mount on my brand new rear lights somehow worked themselves out on only my 2nd ride with them. Incredibly irritating. Why not just use a clamp and screw type mechanism to keep it in place and can fit multiple diameter bars like my front light has? So now my light mount slides out of place when riding.

So I guess my option is to try to find a rubber insert at a bike shop or maybe hardware store, buy a new mount and probably eventually lose the insert again, or maybe buy this? I'm not familiar with the last one but I like the idea of flexible if it has an adjustable width and can fit my seat post without an additional accessory. Thoughts?

PS: If you click the first link you can see the rubber insert I keep referring to.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cut a piece of inner tube and wrap it in there. That's how I solve pretty much all fit issues around the house.

The toolbox even has rolled up chunks of road and mtb tubes in it.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't have extra inner tubes in my apartment.

I wound up calling Cygolite and they offered to send me a couple of inserts free of charge. I guess it's a recurring problem. Thus I will put off finding a better solution for a little while.

Reactions: otc

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers

• Kiltie loafers

• I hate loafers

Results are only viewable after voting.