• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General advice for what to wear when appearing on TV/video

blackjack

Reaction score
I'm going in for a video session and they've only given me very vague information at best to wear "business clothes". When pressed, they added a preference for a "white dress shirt".

For anyone who has worked in film or TV, do you have any more specific advice?

I'm already leaning toward a darker (navy or charcoal grey) suit.

E TF

Reaction score
I presumed that advice from Carl related specifically to the House of Cards production discussed in that thread.

The main thing to avoid is anything that will "strobe" - like fine stripes or small scale patterns such as houndstooth.

Stripy shirt in this video shows it -

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I presumed that advice from Carl related specifically to the House of Cards production discussed in that thread.

I took it as general advice, and not specific to the production, although he is doing shirts for them.
Maybe Carl will chime in.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For tv appearances I always wear a solid light blue shirt with a solid navy suit to minimize the contrast between the two colors. White shirts with dark suits tend to create too much contrast. I also wear a burgundy or blue tie. As has been mentioned, pinstripe suits seldom show up well on tv.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Patterned tie I take it?

blackjack

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great advice!

Not sure why but I was asked to wear a white dress shirt. Will ask if a light blue shirt is okay. Otherwise a dark navy suit with a subtle window-check. Haven't figured out which tie to go with but leaning toward a dark-ish blue one with low-key patterns. Or, would a light blue one (with a white dress shirt) work too?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In addition to the above suggestions, my advice would be to:
Trim or remove nose amd ear hair if that applies to you.
Trim your eyebrows if they are too shaggy. All media personalities do this, male or female.
Manicure your nails. Clear nail polish will make them look perfect once trimmed.
Sit on your jacket tail. It gives you a better shoulder line when seated.
Don't slouch when seated.
Don't be stiff either but observe your posture.
Avoid talking with your hands, rolling your eyes or exaggerated hand or head gestures. Subtle gestures used sparingly goes a long way.
Have a small candy in your mouth to help prevent 'cotton mouth' but don't chew the candy while on air.
Wait 2 or 3 seconds before responding to a question and respond with ease and confidence.
Never start a sentence with the words 'I think'...' No one cares what you think. What you think is an opinion and opinions never matter.
Stick to facts and if you don't know the answer, say so. Better they say later that 'Jack don't know' than 'Jack lied'.
Or, if you don't know, then spin it back to the interviewer by saying, 'I dont know, what do you think?' Chances are, he don't know either and will quickly move on to something else.
The camera never blinks so be careful if they agitate you.
If the interviwer insults you look at them as though you are in love rather than considering ringing their neck on live TV
If the interviewer cracks a bad joke that isn't funny, pretend they just farted or anything so you can laugh with them..
Have an emergency handkerchief in your inside breast pocket. This way you can mop off flop sweat when they go to commercial break.
Good luck on your appearance and post it on YouTube if you can!

Last edited:

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
lt blue shirt is much better then white.
or ecru or cream if you want something closer to white.

no even stripes as shown above.
small neat broken up patterns
subtle windowpanes are good.

Not sure how all of this works on HD.

dorolf07

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
In addition to the above suggestions, my advice would be to:
Trim or remove nose amd ear hair if that applies to you.
Trim your eyebrows if they are too shaggy. All media personalities do this, male or female.
Manicure your nails. Clear nail polish will make them look perfect once trimmed.
Sit on your jacket tail. It gives you a better shoulder line when seated.
Don't slouch when seated.
Don't be stiff either but observe your posture.
Avoid talking with your hands, rolling your eyes or exaggerated hand or head gestures. Subtle gestures used sparingly goes a long way.
Have a small candy in your mouth to help prevent 'cotton mouth' but don't chew the candy while on air.
Wait 2 or 3 seconds before responding to a question and respond with ease and confidence.
Never start a sentence with the words 'I think'...' No one cares what you think. What you think is an opinion and opinions never matter.
Stick to facts and if you don't know the answer, say so. Better they say later that 'Jack don't know' than 'Jack lied'.
Or, if you don't know, then spin it back to the interviewer by saying, 'I dont know, what do you think?' Chances are, he don't know either and will quickly move on to something else.
The camera never blinks so be careful if they agitate you.
If the interviwer insults you look at them as though you are in love rather than considering ringing their neck on live TV
If the interviewer cracks a bad joke that isn't funny, pretend they just farted or anything so you can laugh with them..
Have an emergency handkerchief in your inside breast pocket. This way you can mop off flop sweat when they go to commercial break.
Good luck on your appearance and post it on YouTube if you can!

I like this one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads