• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool! If you don't mind, when you get some wear on them, let us know how they are (durability, comfort, and grip)

Durability = Excellent, almost indestructible.
Comfort = Extremely comfortable; as long as the fit is right, you will be comfortable. I have the same shoe models with Wensum and leather soles; the comfort level is the same.
Grip = Excellent, but keep in mind everything is slippery on the ice.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Durability = Excellent, almost indestructible.
Comfort = Extremely comfortable; as long as the fit is right, you will be comfortable. I have the same shoe models with Wensum and leather soles; the comfort level is the same.
Grip = Excellent, but keep in mind everything is slippery on the ice.
Sounds like I need to try it out on my next pair, thanks!

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying on these Burnhams on round deco last. The styling is "flashy" compared to anything else I own, but these were NOS with lasted trees and were offered at a reasonable price so the sucker in me decided to give these a shot. The round deco last is deceptively roomy despite the pointed toe.

We've temporarily relocated out of state to help my mother-in law recuperate from a medical procedure, and I packed the Burnham in case I decide to return them. Still not 100% sure I'll keep the boots but like many things G&G, these are gorgeous

20201221_151103.jpg
20201221_151112.jpg
20201221_151644.jpg

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all, hoping for some information as I've recently been looking at G+G online.

1) I have not tried any on - am I foolish to even consider w/o a try on. I usually go to NYC a few times a year on work and could (theoretically) try on in showroom (but only once Covid is behind us).

2) Looking at the online shop there seems to be two general price groupings, but I cannot really tell why some are 300-400 GBP more than others. Take for example the Bader vs the St James 2? Both calf - Is there a quality break (akin to CJ Handgrade vs Main) , or is it just differently lasts and styles?

Thanks!

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have not tried any on - am I foolish to even consider w/o a try on.
That depends. If you afford to throw away money, then go for it. If you cannot afford to throw away money, you will be most certainly foolish to buy without trying.
I think you would be better off investing that money in the stock market.

heelguy

Reaction score
Hey all, hoping for some information as I've recently been looking at G+G online.

1) I have not tried any on - am I foolish to even consider w/o a try on. I usually go to NYC a few times a year on work and could (theoretically) try on in showroom (but only once Covid is behind us).

2) Looking at the online shop there seems to be two general price groupings, but I cannot really tell why some are 300-400 GBP more than others. Take for example the Bader vs the St James 2? Both calf - Is there a quality break (akin to CJ Handgrade vs Main) , or is it just differently lasts and styles?

Thanks!
Would suggest trying them on if you can. They introduced the lower priced range about 18 months ago or so. I haven’t tried them but understand that they are still really good quality (not like they are cheap) and with a more relaxed wider fit. Some people can have trouble with some of their lasts. They do run a bit narrower than CJ and EG. They do make beautiful shoes (I have about 10 pairs now).

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That depends. If you afford to throw away money, then go for it. If you cannot afford to throw away money, you will be most certainly foolish to buy without trying.
I think you would be better off investing that money in the stock market.

What I was more trying to glean is if G+G's fit are particularly different in any way I might not be aware of. I can fit C+J in pretty much every last as true to size, whereas I won't even buy a Carmina because for some reason the space in the heel is giant even a half size down.

RE: the last part - wouldn't that be almost universally true for almost all the money we all spend on things we post about here?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would suggest trying them on if you can. They introduced the lower priced range about 18 months ago or so. I haven’t tried them but understand that they are still really good quality (not like they are cheap) and with a more relaxed wider fit. Some people can have trouble with some of their lasts. They do run a bit narrower than CJ and EG. They do make beautiful shoes (I have about 10 pairs now).

Thank you! I was confused on the ranges, as they are all grouped together online with no delineation between them. They do seem to be less chiseled.

I will wait to try on at the showroom if they are narrower than C+J.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I was more trying to glean is if G+G's fit are particularly different in any way I might not be aware of. I can fit C+J in pretty much every last as true to size, whereas I won't even buy a Carmina because for some reason the space in the heel is giant even a half size down.
RE: the last part - wouldn't that be almost universally true for almost all the money we all spend on things we post about here?

In that case, feel free to post your C&J sizing info and I am sure that Style Forum members will offer your sizing guidance. I will start, I take the same size in the following C&J lasts, 337, 341, and 348, the fit is all-around good. My best fitting G&G last is GG06 and I go up a half size from my C&J size. So, if you take size 8 UK in CJ last 337 you would take size 8.5 UK in G&G.

You have a point about stock investment, but good fitting shoes are also an investment. Good luck.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
Thank you! I was confused on the ranges, as they are all grouped together online with no delineation between them. They do seem to be less chiseled.

I will wait to try on at the showroom if they are narrower than C+J.

I have very limited experience with G&G (only 1 pair) but fwiw I don't find the MH71 last to be all that narrow. It's a very similar fit to the EG 82 last. In fact, I'd say that the 82 last is very slightly narrower at the mid foot and ball. If the 341 last fits you well, you would probably be fine also with the MH71 but as was said earlier it's always a gamble unless you get fitted.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In that case, feel free to post your C&J sizing info and I am sure that Style Forum members will offer your sizing guidance. I will start, I take the same size in the following C&J lasts, 337, 341, and 348, the fit is all-around good. My best fitting G&G last is GG06 and I go up a half size from my C&J size. So, if you take size 8 UK in CJ last 337 you would take size 8.5 UK in G&G.

You have a point about stock investment, but good fitting shoes are also an investment. Good luck.

Feel like the right advice is to just wait till I can go to NYC.

For completeness, I am a UK 11 in all C+Js, with 363 (grosvenor) feeling like the best fit.

papado

Reaction score
Feel like the right advice is to just wait till I can go to NYC.

For completeness, I am a UK 11 in all C+Js, with 363 (grosvenor) feeling like the best fit.

You'll most likely be a UK 11.5E in all G&G lasts but at this price point I agree you should wait it out. I know via MTO they can do some instep adjustments as well so better to get fitted right.

I've found G&G to be a more 'fitted' shoe [which others here echo] which works for my foot and their sleek aesthetic choices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads