• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

GabrielOB

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Can you just request a deco last to be used for a regular MTO without the Deco upcharge?
Yes, there is a surcharge to have a none Deco style made on the Deco last. These MTO's will also have the standard fiddle waist from G&G Benchmade, not the hand set Deco waist. This is because not to dilute the Deco collection

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
That would be around $8600 of my money, I love it when the bespoke guys go on about how for "just a bit more" than premium RTW, you could get awesomesauce bespoke. But every time I see awesomesauce bespoke shoes the price tage is SEVERAL times that of premium RTW - even when comparing offerings of the same brand. These shoes are a cool concept. I dig 'em. But if I had that kind of coin to drop on a single pair of bespoke - as opposed to an instant premium RTW rotation - I'd probably spend it on a more traditional offering.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Quote: There are quite a few operations in Europe and East Asia that offer hand-welted bespoke for just above, similar, or just below prices as G&G RTW. Not available to North Americans without a plane ticket, though.

Last edited:

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are bespoke shoes worth it ? Yes absolutely, but as someone who had bespoke shoes buying/making experience I offer this advice. Make sure that person who is making the shoes is also a person who will take measurement and evaluate fit of the test shoes.

I must admit that wholecut with interchangeable straps does not appeal to me much.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
That would be around $8600 of my money, I love it when the bespoke guys go on about how for "just a bit more" than premium RTW, you could get awesomesauce bespoke. But every time I see awesomesauce bespoke shoes the price tage is SEVERAL times that of premium RTW - even when comparing offerings of the same brand. These shoes are a cool concept. I dig 'em. But if I had that kind of coin to drop on a single pair of bespoke - as opposed to an instant premium RTW rotation - I'd probably spend it on a more traditional offering.
Most of my bespoke Cleverleys are ~$3900 USD. Not sure where these prices are coming from. Also, pair of bespoke Cleverly Croc shoes are actually cheaper than Croc Edward Greens.

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of my bespoke Cleverleys are ~$3900 USD. Not sure where these prices are coming from. Also, pair of bespoke Cleverly Croc shoes are actually cheaper than Croc Edward Greens.

The prices are coming from Justin's blog, quoting a price of GBP4500 for the bespoke G&G's.

So RTW Cleverleys cost what - $600 - $700? So your bespoke Cleverleys are more than 5- 7 times the price? That's what I meant when I said the bespoke premium - comparing offerings from the same brand - are not just a bit more $$ but several times the RTW $$.

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The prices are coming from Justin's blog, quoting a price of GBP4500 for the bespoke G&G's.

So RTW Cleverleys cost what - $600 - $700?  So your bespoke Cleverleys are more than 5- 7 times the price?  That's what I meant when I said the bespoke premium - comparing offerings from the same brand - are not just a bit more $$ but several times the RTW $$.

Well, I never claimed that bespoke is "just a bit more" than RTW. That must be coming from another bespoker.

I just wanted to clear up misconceptions about pricing. Also, a better comparison here would be RTW Anthony Cleverleys vs. bespoke Cleverleys rather than mainline Cleverley vs. bespoke. In that case the cost is ~$1900 vs $3900.

Let's face it. Bespoke is not cheap be it shoes, suits, shirts underwear, whatever. Some people think it's worth it, some don't. I just don't get the constant references to bespoke shoe buyers as elitists.

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I never claimed that bespoke is "just a bit more" than RTW. That must be coming from another bespoker.

I just wanted to clear up misconceptions about pricing. Also, a better comparison here would be RTW Anthony Cleverleys vs. bespoke Cleverleys rather than mainline Cleverley vs. bespoke. In that case the cost is ~$1900 vs $3900.

Let's face it. Bespoke is not cheap be it shoes, suits, shirts underwear, whatever. Some people think it's worth it, some don't. I just don't get the constant references to bespoke shoe buyers as elitists.

I never said that you did. And I have no idea to whom you are referring when you claim that bespoke wearers are described as elitist.

You may choose your points of comparison as you like. I am comparing Cleverley RTW to Cleverley bespoke. GG RTW to GG bespoke.

I have no misconceptions about pricing. I know what RTW GGs cost. And unless you are saying that Justin's quoted price on the bespoke GGs is wrong, the numbers speak for themselves however you might like to spin them.

My only point was the significant price differential between bespoke and RTW of the same brand, compared with suggestions I have repeatedly read that if you are buying premium RTW shoes, the jump to bespoke isn't that great. Yes, some will find value in bespoke footwear and others won't. I respect both points of view. Do you?

jerrybrowne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I never said that you did.  And I have no idea to whom you are referring when you claim that bespoke wearers are described as elitist.

You may choose your points of comparison as you like.  I am comparing Cleverley RTW to Cleverley bespoke.  GG RTW to GG bespoke.

I have no misconceptions about pricing.  I know what RTW GGs cost.  And unless you are saying that Justin's quoted price on the bespoke GGs is wrong, the numbers speak for themselves however you might like to spin them.

My only point was the significant price differential between bespoke and RTW of the same brand, compared with suggestions I have repeatedly read that if you are buying premium RTW shoes, the jump to bespoke isn't that great.  Yes, some will find value in bespoke footwear and others won't.  I respect both points of view.  Do you?

Look, I'm not going to get into some flame war with you. I have better things to do with my time. Of course I respect both points of view and I can confidently say that I have purchased many many more RTW shoes than bespoke.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look, I'm not going to get into some flame war with you. I have better things to do with my time. Of course I respect both points of view and I can confidently say that I have purchased many many more RTW shoes than bespoke.

What flame war? You are quoting my posts denying making statements which I have never attributed to you, while simultaneously complaining of being branded an elitist (which term I have never used to describe you or bespoke wearers in general).

I don't know where any of that is coming from.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads