• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I suspect there's a big overlap between people who are interested in trying G&G - still a relatively new maker, and the only "new" maker at their top price point, and people who are also interested in shoe design and construction and have experimented with hand-welted, MTO, MTM and even bespoke from various sources. The common factors of high price and willingness to try something new, apply to both sets. And as ever on SF, there's a fair percentage of "alpha" personality types who do not like to have their favourite chosen brands or styles criticised!

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

No offense taken DW, and I appreciate your help on the issue of my boots (amongst all your other contributions).

In this instance, Valeriy brought up a finished discussion, and because of the communication issue it came off as antagonizing.

It is curious though, a lot of these discussions take place in regards to GG shoes and on this thread. You don't see these discussions happening in many of the other well liked GYW brand threads. I wonder if that has had any effect in swaying people on their choices?

Maybe that's a reflection of how highly regarded G&G is...even among their critics.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Leaves, is your camera angle playing tricks with my monitor...or do all those pairs have bubbling at the sides, close to the waist?

Looks to me to be the back edge of the forepart of the shoe trees.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, have found all this informative and interesting, though also depressing in that a brand like GG or EG likely represents the most I will ever pay for a shoe -- so if the perceived workmanship there is really mostly smoke and mirrors, all I can really do is shrug and know I won't ever do any better on the relative scale of quality.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

FWIW, have found all this informative and interesting, though also depressing in that a brand like GG or EG likely represents the most I will ever pay for a shoe -- so if the perceived workmanship there is really mostly smoke and mirrors, all I can really do is shrug and know I won't ever do any better on the relative scale of quality.

See that's the problem--there are many makers who charge less than the high end RTW manufacturers and still offer better objective quality than those high end makers. Esp. in your neck of the woods.

And many of them are bespoke makers.

Whether they can achieve the kind of fit that will satisfy someone who can literally try on hundreds of RTW pairs before buying; or whether they can achieve the kind of aesthetic glitz that the manufacturers bring to the table, is another question. But those are both subjective evaluations and only you can decide whether a local, virtually unknown shoemaker with no brand-name cachet can meet your needs.

But if you look, it isn't price that holding you back from better things.

Last edited:

Rincon

Reaction score
Wait is there actual proof of this plastic toe or is this supposition?

In any event, G&G is attractive to me primarily for the styling and aesthetics of the leather.

Majority of consumer culture is smoke and mirrors anyhow.

Sad fact is, while I talk about timeless, I am not going to wear my shoes more than 6-7 years simply because styles change and my preferences with it.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In any event, G&G is attractive to me primarily for the styling and aesthetics of the leather.

Majority is consumer culture is smoke and mirrors anyhow.

Who would care about a little Botox here a little silicon there on gorgeous girl sitting across the table?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Celastic is celluloid acetate impregnated cloth. Celluloid acetate is what ping pong balls and Kewpie dolls are made of--plastic, IOW.

Who would care about a little Botox here a little silicon there on gorgeous girl sitting across the table?

Or a Timex movement in a Bedat case? Or pvc in a Leonard Logsdail suit?

Last edited:

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swatch produces the watch movements for 90%+ of the world's watch makers...

That $20,000 you just dropped on a watch...its probably a Swatch....

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Swatch produces the watch movements for 90%+ of the world's watch makers...

That $20,000 you just dropped on a watch...its probably a Swatch....

I don't know what the point is...if you buy a Bedat or a Bvlgari and it doesn't have a Swatch movement but instead has a Timex movement, it's still gonna run, keep time (sort of), and it's still gonna look like a $10,000 watch.

Is what it looks like, or the name on the face, all, or even mostly, what's important?

Last edited:

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics