1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. chogall

chogall Senior member

How about going to Mississippi, hunt some giant American alligator, skin the hide thorn cut for a pair of boots, and eat the filet sashimi while drinking it's blood?

2. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

They only have a few sizes.

3. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

I've been drooling in my mind over high buckle boots since I first saw them on Boardwalk Empire:

[​IMG]

...and a post on Die, Workwear! about a late Purdey model didn't help me either. For the moment, this project is still pending as I'm adding a pair of black suede hippopotamus chukka boots to the collection.

Still, those G&G boots are, well, stupendous. That's the right word.

4. mimo

mimo Senior member

Tell more, please!

5. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

Well, the hide is hippo with nice striated texture from repeated bird-pecking, soles are Vibram Eton rubber units, 360-degree welt with white goyser stitching, round toe, three blind eyelets, black calf piping, seamless back. I'll write more about them once the boots arrive and I can fondle some hippo butt.

I have this strange dream to own shoes made from all leather types available. After that hippo, elefant, shagreen and kangaroo remain. Lizard was nasty so I sold those old pairs, and I'll likely steer clear from toad, fish and other ugly hides. Mountain ram looks gorgeous in pictures but I'm not sure if it ages well. I don't smoke and rarely drink, footwear is my only vice. A man should have one, it makes for a more intresting character -- and all the lore around shoemaking is beautiful.

6. Saratorial_Splender

Saratorial_Splender Senior member

I agree. Good "hunting" for different lethers.

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  7. chogall

chogall Senior member

Big game hunting boots....

8. mimo

mimo Senior member

Goyser stitching? Rozsnyai?

Fantastic, and I have a similar thought about getting these things: a hippo chukka also occured to me, and an elephant ear loafer perhaps. I agree that snakes and lizards aren't usually that lovely. And as I don't drink or smoke either, I think this is the most gentlemanly of vices.

Oh, was this thread about G&G? Sorry. I saw a lovely sueded croc loafer in their shop...

9. chogall

chogall Senior member

Anyone making new orders this round of trunk shows?

10. dlind

dlind Senior member

Someone say croc suede loafer?! :drool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These two were in their new store when I was there last week:) see my Instagram for more pictures of the store, it was stunning! :slayer:

Last edited: May 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  11. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I'm considering an order...loafer style

1 person likes this.
  12. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

The suede crocodile is really very special. But he has an amazing charm.

13. agedashidofu

agedashidofu Senior member

Am about to receive my 2nd Deco MTO next week! How exciting!

14. VRaivio

VRaivio Senior member

mimo, all in good time. I will share the shots in our very own, very fine shoe p0rn thread. I trust hippo will prove to be...something else.

1 person likes this.
  15. Jsoftz

Jsoftz Senior member

Apologies if this has already been answered, but what have others seen from stretch in the leather, particularly in the instep? I tried on a pair of G&G Westfields at Bergdorf last weekend and am highly considering picking them up, but they were a little bit tight in the instep. Here's a picture or two:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately they were a bit blurry. Anyhow, the price was pretty good and the Bergdorf rep said they came with the shoe trees. Do y'all think these will stretch a bit in the instep?

I might buy them and try them on, return if I don't like, too.. Not sure yet.

16. simian

simian Active Member

^^None of my G&Gs (7 pairs) has stretched much in the instep. I've worn two of them (Oxford TG 73 and Harrow GG06) extensively - lots of walking, The others have not been used much.

17. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

What were the price?

18. Jsoftz

Jsoftz Senior member

They were $1140, about.

I wasn't really wearing dress weight socks here. Forgot to pack socks and just bought a bunch of Uniqlo socks while I was in NYC.

It's interesting to hear that they don't stretch too much because the reps at both Leffot and The Armoury said that I could expect St Crispin and others to give a bit in the instep.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  19. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Just wanted to add something
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  20. Jsoftz

Jsoftz Senior member

Also my bad the shoe was the Mitchell. Westfield was a C&J.