1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures, e

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luk-cha, Apr 7, 2011.

1. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

That's basically the Barneys (and Spoo) sale price, lol

2. laufer

laufer Well-Known Member

Well it will cost at least $100 to ship it back and forth to England but I am not sure how much is just re-crafting.

3. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

This thread gets more and more depressing all the time...

4. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

The solution, of course, is to have 20+ pairs so that any one pair will virtually never need recrafting

1 person likes this.
  5. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

I have 50+ pairs of shoes and have only re-soled a few times... C&J re-soling is nowhere near the cost of G&G at $500...if that number is truly correct

That number seems outrageously high...are we sure it is accurate?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  6. JubeiSpiegel

Considering GG's current policies, i don't doubt that $500 is the re-crafting fee.

If they are making an effort to focus and streamline their RTW, and minimize MTO, it would be consistent for GG also to minimize their re-crafting services...

7. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

I wouldn't expect big sales at BG anytime soon. I think part of the reason G&G pulled out of Barney's was that they were unhappy with the pricing model of deeply discounting models every season. I'd imagine they have an understanding with BG to keep that from happening there.

2 people like this.
  8. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

I disagree with you Jubei...

C&J urges everyone to re-sole through C&J...they make a ton of money on that kind of stuff and it is relatively easy - it is a very HIGH MARGIN service. The costs of the materials and labor is minimal compared to what they charge.

C&J is much larger and more streamlined and geared towards RTW than G&G so it is the opposite...if G&G is moving towards a business model more similar to C&J it would make sense that they should be pushing people to re-sole through them.

C&J produces 170,000+ pairs of shoes per year.

I might add on this note, that C&J has a relatively high upcharge for MTO compared to their RTW pricing...often in the $400-$500+ range for design changes. It seems that G&G is moving in this direction also...with high upcharges for design changes.

They are moving towards a more C&J geared business model.

DONKEY, GET WORKING AND GET THOSE SHOES PUMPING OUTTA THAT NEW FACTORY [​IMG]

9. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

I wonder what the margin on shoes like this is...

C&J's annual revenue must well over $100 million...so what is their profit margin...they are definitely a highly streamlined business...but I also know that costs have increased recently due to luxury brands (i.e., Hermes & LVMH) buying many of the top tanneries and making it more difficult for C&J to acquire quality leathers (they have been either giving them lower quality forcing C&J to go elsewhere or charging more for the same quality)

Any shoemakers care to speak up about the profit margin involved in something like this?

Any idea how many RTW shoes G&G produces per year?

10. agedashidofu

agedashidofu Well-Known Member

Whatever my plans were to get GG MTOs they are now gone. I seriously think they are now overpriced. Am really now tempted to get Bestetti Novecentos!!!

11. JubeiSpiegel

I agree with this.

There are still some basic models i would really like to have, so i seriously hope Nick starts up the monthly model deals he use to do. I would definitely be interested...

1 person likes this.
  12. Flake

Flake Well-Known Member

Same here

13. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

170k sounds a little bit high for C&J but in the ballpark. $100 mil sounds high for revenues. Unless it's a shoe sold at a C&J store, they're selling at wholesale price to retailers. G&G produces wwwwaaayyyyyyy fewer shoes than C&J.

14. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

:(

indeed! i am well shy tho at 14 pairs of shoes total, and 8 of which are GG.

15. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

Well then none of those shoes will age beautifully. Perhaps thats the allure of applied patina; many do not have the time or patience to wait for acquired patina.

16. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

well, we always the resole thing is not economically, every nice English brand's resole job cost more than AE on sale, time to topy them all :satisfied: ...

1 person likes this.
  18. Stirling

Stirling Well-Known Member

Very nice.

19. JubeiSpiegel

So those on the GG tumbler, is that your bespoke shoe Chogall?

20. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

If you're worried about pricing, you might want to consider purchasing from Leatherfoot due to the fallng price of the Canadian dollar. Did a quick comparison, and a pair of Grosvenors from Nick costs roughly $1361 USD, compared to $1037 USD from Leatherfoot. That's a savings of $324.

Hope that helps!