• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I find that hatch grain "reinvents" the shoe, inviting permutations. But then, I am also a sucker for the Gable and Sinatra.
How are you liking Sinatra have been looking at them also. And I see you use soak shoe tree are they lasted vs G&G shoe tree that you can buy I,wonder if that's lasted also or not.

armsignet

Reaction score
How are you liking Sinatra have been looking at them also. And I see you use soak shoe tree are they lasted vs G&G shoe tree that you can buy I,wonder if that's lasted also or not.

The Sinatra is my favorite plain toe across makers (I have yet to see a StC Seamless, but that shoe is in its own realm) and maybe my favorite G&G.

I prefer Skoak trees over G&G based on less than half the price for similar function. I'm pretty sure Skoak and G&G trees are made by Springline, so quality is the same. As for fit, Skoak trees seem closest to TG73, but I use them in GG06 too. I wouldn't call them lasted, but they hold the shoe's shape just fine. They also look nicer than modern, unfinished G&G trees.

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Sinatra is my favorite plain toe across makers (I have yet to see a StC Seamless, but that shoe is in its own realm) and maybe my favorite G&G.

I prefer Skoak trees over G&G based on less than half the price for similar function.  I'm pretty sure Skoak and G&G trees are made by Springline, so quality is the same.  As for fit, Skoak trees seem closest to TG73, but I use them in GG06 too.  I wouldn't call them lasted, but they hold the shoe's shape just fine.  They also look nicer than modern, unfinished G&G trees.

Thank for your input I picked up two G&G shoes on tg73 last and know going for MH71 last how would you that compares to Tg73 last I am planning on taking same size I have st James 2 on tg73 and going for st James 2 on grey color and thank you for your input.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also,do you know if the G&G shoe tree are lasted vs soak shoes tree I know they are made in England but are they lasted or are they one trick pony fits all but not lasted etc

Not sure, but then again I only have the one G&G shoe (Hayes TG73) so far. However I would think this is one brand where the shoe trees maybe more difficult to fit given the unique Lasts they use. At the higher end with shoes like G&G, EG, and Lobb I tend to go with their shoe trees, Although for the Thorpe (MH71) I asked Gabriel and he said their in house worked fine with the Thorpe. Since it was a boot (tree not showing) I decided to go with their shoe tree instead of G&G. However with the St James (tree not hidden) I did opt for the G&G tree.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find that hatch grain "reinvents" the shoe, inviting permutations. But then, I am also a sucker for the Gable and Sinatra.

Your right, I'm just not convinced that this is what I want to do yet.

Last edited:

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not sure, but then again I only have the one G&G shoe (Hayes TG73) so far. However I would think this is one brand where the shoe trees maybe more difficult to fit given the unique Lasts they use. At the higher end with shoes like G&G, EG, and Lobb I tend to go with their shoe trees, Although for the Thorpe (MH71) I asked Gabriel and he said their in house worked fine with the Thorpe. Since it was a boot (tree not showing) I decided to go with their shoe tree instead of G&G. However with the St James (tree not hidden) I did opt for the G&G tree.

Good to know bud so I am not alone I did that also lol

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This needs to be my last post in here for some time, Fairmont Vintage Roja from SFer.

[\spoiler]
Nice, Congrats!!

Why last post?

Hotjock

Reaction score
I have a pair of midnight blue Mitchel on the Deco last and the toe of the sole has dried out/cracked. Caught in the rain. Looking to retro fit metal toe caps (flush). Will this ruin the construction of the shoe?

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a pair of midnight blue Mitchel on the Deco last and the toe of the sole has dried out/cracked. Caught in the rain. Looking to retro fit metal toe caps (flush). Will this ruin the construction of the shoe?

I personally don't like them, and I also have hard wood floors it will mess them up & make loud tapping noise. But if you like them and can stand it,then get it. It's very subjective personal thing.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If it's done by someone who knows what they are doing it shouldn't. However since yours are dried and cracked depending on how bad it is there maybe a problem. Typically for shoes that cost this much a good portion would probably rely on only the manufacture to do such a thing. I would certainly want to take it to someone who knows what they are doing just to make sure they don't botch it so your still able to resole them later on or just suck it up now and get them resoled by G&G.

Last edited:

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If it's done by someone who knows what they are doing it shouldn't. However since yours are dried and cracked depending on how bad it is there maybe a problem. Typically for shoes that cost this much a good portion would probably rely on only the manufacture to do such a thing. I would certainly want to take it to someone who knows what they are doing just to make sure they don't botch it so your still able to resole them later on or just suck it up now and get them resoled by G&G.

Speaking of resole do G&G give same kind of service as EG dose for resole? And what is,there costs most ppl I know some recommemd sending it,to,DC were,this guy resoe lol them with JR sole same soles that vass uses. Not sure if it's safe or not.

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, making last minute arrangements for St James GMTO on MH71 and want to confirm sizing.

After some research and talking to Skoak crew I'm all set with 8.5E.

I'm size 9D on Brannock with low instep and narrow heel and wear the following:

size 8UK in Carmina Forest, Inca, Oscar and Uetam

thanks

TtownMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gents, making last minute arrangements for St James GMTO on MH71 and want to confirm sizing.

After some research and talking to Skoak crew I'm all set with 8.5E.

I'm size 9D on Brannock with low instep and narrow heel and wear the following:

size 8UK in Carmina Forest, Inca, Oscar and Uetam

thanks

I can't even get them in email for past two days and today. But I also emailed them today again, so they recommended half size down? Ok cool I am US 9.5D I took 9UK E in G&G TG73 last and I was not sure how the fit would be for MH71 last but went with 9UK E on these also but wanted to reconfirm.

Ironist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can't even get them in email for past two days and today. But I also emailed them today again, so they recommended half size down? Ok cool I am US 9.5D I took 9UK E in G&G TG73 last and I was not sure how the fit would be for MH71 last but went with 9UK E on these also but wanted to reconfirm.

Honestly, I have never heard of anyone sizing down for their MH71 from TG73. I have also never heard of anyone fitting TG73 and not fitting MH71 in the same size. It's usually people can fit MH71 but they can't fit TG73 so they have to size up by half a size. If you fit TG73 and the length is perfect for you then it would not make any sense to size down half a size unless you have considerable toe room. Even then, you are gambling more by sizing down then by going with the same size. Worst case scenario after going same size for both is that MH71 is slightly looser width wise which isn't even a big deal given how tight GG lasts are.

Honestly, your gamble is going to be pretty small compared to what most people go through here but if someone else knows better please correct me.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads