• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gaziano & Girling Appreciation & Shoe Appreciation Thread (including reviews, purchases, pictures)

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when I look at my Vintage Oak Warwick, something keeps telling me it could benefit from alternating between oxblood and mid / dark brown. Anyone ever done this ?

Last edited:

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PSA to Philly and surrounding area members:

ToBox in Center City Philadelphia will be hosting a Gaziano&Girling Trunk show on Sat., June 20th from 10am to 6pm. Come on by if you are in the area! 

ToBox is located at [COLOR=222222]25 S 19th St, Philadelphia, PA 19103. ([/COLOR][COLOR=222222]On 19th street between Market and Chestnut.) [/COLOR]

That is great to know. Tung didn't tell me about that yet. I've been telling him to consider GG and offered to show him mine first. I hope he sends an email out to tell everyone.

Maybe we can meet up and get the SF crew from the philly area together!

Who from GG will be coming?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

That is great to know. Tung didn't tell me about that yet. I've been telling him to consider GG and offered to show him mine first. I hope he sends an email out to tell everyone.

Maybe we can meet up and get the SF crew from the philly area together!

Who from GG will be coming?

He will definitely be sending an email and announcing on social media. I asked who was coming and he said a sales team.

I will be there and possibly another member so I am game to get the crew together.

Berners15

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Cover your eyes!
nest.gif

Way to go
worship.gif

I was quite happy to say perhaps it was a cultural thing re denims but others have advised it's a case of taste, style correctness rather than fashion - errrmmm perhaps they are right and that we really shouldn't wear Oxfords with jeans - errrmmm stuff and nonsense.
Of course style evolves with fashion - on this same forum I was advised that trousers with pleats are horrible and the devil's handiwork and should never be worn. When I pointed out that Fred Astaire seemed to have made the look rather elegant I was derided.
The pictures posted on here of members with their G&G and jeans look great IMHO.
The Italians, French and English invented style and the Americans inherited it. To me it is fine that Americans have adopted and amalgamated the various styles in to one of their own. Italian style for example is very different from English, but it would be a brave Englishman to criticize their fashion sense; they invented the deconstructed blazer which we all love but is hardly 'proper'. In the 1800's it was not considered 'proper' to wear brown shoes in town or after 6pm....of course fashion and style go hand in hand!
One remarkable gentleman added here in this thread that as the people who sell them wear them (I presume suits) then it's good enough for him - when I go for an evening meal I eat their food but I don't dress like the waiter or the chef.
I am sure that Mr Gaziano and Mr Girling would be delighted some of us have chosen this heinous way to display their lovely shoes...perhaps we should ask them because their staff have as yet to refuse to serve me whilst I'm wearing Levis.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is squeaking around the mid-sole fairly common for new GGs? I've been slowly breaking them and assume the sound will go away. Just wanted to double check.

nmoore82

Reaction score
Is squeaking around the mid-sole fairly common for new GGs? I've been slowly breaking them and assume the sound will go away. Just wanted to double check.

Is the squeaking from air being pushed around the inside as you walk? Or from the shoe itself?

nmoore82

Reaction score
I am sure that Mr Gaziano and Mr Girling would be delighted some of us have chosen this heinous way to display their lovely shoes...perhaps we should ask them because their staff have as yet to refuse to serve me whilst I'm wearing Levis.

I met Tony last year and distinctly remember him wearing vintage cherry St James with jeans.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the squeaking from air being pushed around the inside as you walk? Or from the shoe itself?

The shoe itself. I just tested it sitting down and very slowly flexing my feet. Thanks

nmoore82

Reaction score
Of six pairs I've owned, I've had something like this on two - but more of a slight creaking sound.

Should eventually go. I hazard a guess it might be where the leather is starting to flex and break in.

Last edited:

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of six pairs I've owned, I've had something like this on two - but more of a slight creaking sound.

Should eventually go. I hazard a guess it might be where the leather is starting to flex and break in.

None of my G&G do that...I forget how many I have but >5.

Thanks gentlemen. I'm not super concerned but still figured I'd ask just case. Carry on...

Berners15

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I met Tony last year and distinctly remember him wearing vintage cherry St James with jeans.
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
I have heard he is a very nice man too. They have their office in Norwich not too far from where I live. They have taken Edward Greens and injected a bit of style and elegance (not that the EG 888 last is too sloppy
smile.gif
) I thought the whole idea of G&G rather than EG were that they were a little less formal and dare I say it a little less English. They are real people from the trade and it is a joy to see them succeeding in difficult times. My father was a clicker when he first left school, he always likes jeans and Oxford's.
As I said to each their own - keeping spreading the word 'cos I think your combo looks fantastic
worship.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads