• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Future of Italian Men's Wear in U.S.A.

gianluca

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I would like to know your opinion about the effects of the new exchange rates of the dollar against the Euro on the Italian Men's wear products.

Is the made in Italy still important? Will the new price levels be accepted? Are you going to consider new brands or products for more convenient prices? Who will be the winners, who will be the loosers?

I personally thing that there will be for sure a change and even the most solid positions, brands and strategies will be put in discussion. New brands will be evaluated both by consumers and retailers.

What do you think?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On this board, fit, quality, cut, then price...generally are the priorities.

I personally value "Made in Italy" somewhat, but that is most likely a hold over from my dayswhere I felt it had to be good made in such a wonderful place.

SO, you would have an argument if you were to present a garment, that was not inferior to any Italian standard, but was produced in another country to provide a significant price for us here in the US.
I believe those that value products that at their hightest level can only be made in Italy (out beloved Neopolitan suit makers/shirt makers/ties/shoes) will always be purchased.
Now, will brands like Zegna, Armani, and the other RTW houses, I believe will feel an impact. I would rather save and go and get a suit made in Naples, than go and buy several Zegna suits (do they still make suits in Italy?) at a department strore.

John Ellis

Reaction score
Some people are always going to value fit, quality and that undefinable something called "the look." It's a minority, but it's a minority now, so I don't see things changing to a great extent.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The things that look best on me cost a lot more these days as a result of the exhange rate, so I have to purchase those things less frequently.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Made in Italy is still important for the high-end brands of quality clothing (Brioni/ Kiton/ Borrelli/ Isaia/ Attolini, etc.) and that's important for the consumer who knows his stuff. Myself, I look for certain brands of clothing because I've come to expect a certain level of quality from these italian companies.

For general, run of the mill brands (like store brands, Alfani, or whatever) I don't think the made in italy stamp has the perceived value or assumes quality to the consumer as it may have in the past.

An item of tailored clothing made in the orient would have to be of extremely, EXTREMELY high quality for me to purchase it, personally. I avoid it if at all possible, unless it is a tshirt or casualwear where actual quality/ tailoring isn't an issue.

gianluca

Reaction score
I have been travelling the U.S.A. at the beginning of April and I was shocked by the number of single brands shops or corners of Zegna, Armani, Canali. Advertising everywere: magazines, hotel room leaflets, in flight magazines, ect.
Everything is looking like they are taking a McDonald / Starbuck approch while they should offer exclusivity, luxury, quality, etc.

So I have too the feeling that now the real luxury suit is a non branded hand or well made garment. But this kind of garments needs well prepared sellers and personal advisors. 99% of the succes is due to the retailer.
And in this case maybe Made in Italy will be a story to tell or a reason to buy.

gianluca

Reaction score
Very interesting article. I saw the mentioned "Report" but I think that they forced the situation.

The great majority of the Italian companies are respecting the rules, while they are competing with manufacturers abroad who usually have no or soft laws protecting the environment and workers.

There must be a reason for the law prices....

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
An item of tailored clothing made in the orient would have to be of extremely, EXTREMELY high quality for me to purchase it, personally. I avoid it if at all possible, unless it is a tshirt or casualwear where actual quality/ tailoring isn't an issue.

I hope you're not applying this to Japan as well ...

gianluca

Reaction score
What do you thing about the Zegna / Canali / Armani strategy?
Has anybody tried the "shopping experience" at any of their single brand stores?
Were you satified?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gianluca
What do you thing about the Zegna / Canali / Armani strategy?
Has anybody tried the "shopping experience" at any of their single brand stores?
Were you satified?

I've shopped at a couple of Zegna stores but have only browsed in an Armani store. Zegna provided great service and after-the-sale follow-up. I'm not really interested in Zegna items any longer so I haven't been back in a couple of years.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The REAL future of Italian clothing in the USA is in immigrant trailblazers such as Enrico Glennio
devil.gif

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, from the title, I thought this was an Eric Glennie thread.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
For general, run of the mill brands (like store brands, Alfani, or whatever) I don't think the made in italy stamp has the perceived value or assumes quality to the consumer as it may have in the past.

A little off topic, but I think most if not all at of Macy's Alfani stuff is made in Korea. Before my tastes got more refined I bought one Alfani suit, made in Korea of Italian fabric. It really isn't a bad suit for the money, though. I actually like it better than the one John W. Nordstrom suit I purchased in that pre-enlightened era. I also have two made-in-Korea Alfani sport coats that are going to the Goodwill to make room for my next Chan orders when they arrive.

It is perhaps significant that many low- to middle-end marketers (roughly MW to Macy's) will give their house brands Italian names--"Alfani," "Tasso Elba," "Versini" and whatnot--to create a perception of quality.

Another indicator of the perception "Italian=style and quality": One of my stepson's fraternity brothers was admiring the necktie my boy had borrowed from me. When he saw that bore a "Made in Italy" label, he said, "Oh, no wonder it's good." The fact that it also bore the name "Brioni" was of no moment to him at all!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads