• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

furniture at Ikea

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I don't think the billy are good bookshelves at all. The shelves bow very easily.

??? Not my experience at all. I have three of the four shelf variety and I add a fifth to up the amount of CD storage and I have never seen any bowing. And I have lots of weight on the shelves.

surfnbank

Reaction score
Not to sure if I would trust an ikea couch for the long haul. Might be good for a few years though. If you want durability I know my parents have had their lazy boy for ages now.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
??? Not my experience at all. I have three of the four shelf variety and I add a fifth to up the amount of CD storage and I have never seen any bowing. And I have lots of weight on the shelves.

+1. My Expedit shelves are holding up amazingly well for holind thousands of LPs over the past 4 or so years.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
+1. My Expedit shelves are holding up amazingly well for holind thousands of LPs over the past 4 or so years.

Same here on Expedit. I have around 1,000 crammed into the 4x4. Solid.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went in a huge Ikea in Frisco TX. It's an experience on par with Disneyland. Seriously, so much humanity it will trigger some kind of panic attack. I like the simple modern forms -but the place and furniture permeate with the blandness of suburban sprawl. If ever there was furniture made to match ceiling popcorn -this is it.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
It used to be good. I slept in an Ikea bed from the time I got out of a crib until I was 21 and moved out. Now I have an Ikea bed that's three years old and about ready for the dumpster. Mattress is even worse (although abuse may have something to do with that).

So you're saying you've had lots of secks?

I see what you did there
patch[1].gif

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
If you actually read books, you'd understand.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa

rolleyes.gif
I have other bookcases for my books but I know from stacking heavy audio journals that the Billy is up to the task.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa

I have the billy bookshelf (with books on it!) for years, the dresser and a nightstand and my roommate has 2 of the huge ones with dvds and other random crap. No problems at all on any of them.

Its a simple design, durable (for me, Im not climbing on the F***ers) and they match. I think the people on here who knock ikea are just wanna-be elitist... "Oh this is the worst suburban design EVAR!!!" ef-you, prick.

Riley Dee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Went in a huge Ikea in Frisco TX. It's an experience on par with Disneyland. Seriously, so much humanity it will trigger some kind of panic attack. I like the simple modern forms -but the place and furniture permeate with the blandness of suburban sprawl. If ever there was furniture made to match ceiling popcorn -this is it.

Was at the Frisco store on the 1st and the humanity was out in full force. I was ready to make a run for the door; unfortunately the labyrinth of a store layout prevented me.

I worked for a Danish furniture store in OKC for 11 years so the only things I pick up at Ikea are cheap items such as house wares, pillows, curtains, curtain rods. etc. otherwise the furniture itself is cheap and cheaply made.

Good stuff if you view it for what it is… disposable.

Crosstalker

Reaction score
We have a few pieces of IKEA furniture, and it has held up pretty well. Some of IKEA's sitting furniture is uncomfortable, so do your homework before buying anything.

As others have mentioned, you can go to IKEA and almost completely furnish a one-bedroom apartment (sans mattress) for $1,000. We did this with an apartment that we own, and tons of college kids do the same thing. If you surround the IKEA stuff with just a couple of beautiful handmade pieces, the IKEA stuff starts to look pretty darn good. Of course, I'd never use any of the IKEA stuff in our home because it can't come anywhere close to the comfort or durability of real furniture.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have one of these which houses my movies
481117489_e2623955eb.jpg
And one of these for my clothes.
ikea_malm_commode_3_tiroirs_30_euro-300x300.jpg
Oh, and a matching bookshelf to this ^ that houses more movies. I also have a nightstand and a chair, but I don't think they are IKEA. This is all the furniture I own.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
P_ART_L038.jpg

If that's what Ikea emulated, then they improved it. That doesn't look half as comfortable as the poang, which sits lower to the ground, has a more aggressive recline, and lower armrests. The thing I don't like about Ikea is that so many people end up having the same stuff. I don't want to have the same stock photography, lighting, or mirrors that I see in my local mom and pop coffee shop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads