• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

furniture at Ikea

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
You seem torn.

1. i had already bought it
2. im not going to replace it until settling semi-permanently
3. wont buy it again

revolve.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
It used to be good. I slept in an Ikea bed from the time I got out of a crib until I was 21 and moved out. Now I have an Ikea bed that's three years old and about ready for the dumpster. Mattress is even worse (although abuse may have something to do with that).

What are you going to do when you throw it out? Should go with Ikea agian, since you're back in the same room you grew up in.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not the biggest fan of Ikea furniture, however there is one piece that stands as the exception in my mind: The Expedit bookshelf. An absolute blessing to record collectors. A custom LP shelf would run 2-3 times what the largest Expedit shelf retails for.
13238rear-wall-room2.jpg
On the other hand, I'm a big fan of them for basics such as kitchen towels.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I have found Ikea to be good for shelves to hold CDs and Records (Billy and Expedit models) and the Poang chair is very durable and makes for a nice listening chair, especially in black leather.

I have two Poang chairs and the 4x4 cube Expedit for LPs. I use three Billy shelves in Black/Brown for CD storage.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
+1 on bookshelves. The Billy is a workhorse.

I also had a poang chair for years and it was very reliable. It is a bit cliched today - anyone can pick it out as a cheap Ikea standard - so I don't know that I'd put one in my living room today unless I were still in college or fresh out. Still, it's a great value IMO.

Dressers are going to fall apart quickly. The drawer bottoms will blow out (cheap fiberboard) and the glides (or whatever you call the hardware and rollers that make the drawer pull out smoothly) will not be reliable for more than a few years.

You should essentially be aware that anything with moving parts is not going to be terribly durable - tables with casters, anything with drawers, etc. You can also see pretty plainly that their fabrics aren't the top of the heap.

Still, I think they have some relatively attractive sofa options, and they are pretty unique (at least in my experience) in having decent modern styling at their price point. I wouldn't expect an Ikea sofa to last for 10 years, but I could live with one for 5, until I can afford a big-timer sofa.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, I have a Poang chair too! And actually, it has been pretty durable, considering it's in a house occupied by three bachelors who drink a lot.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I am looking at the billy bookshelves, glad to hear such good things about them.

I googled the poang armchair and I am pretty sure there was one in two of the places I lived whilst at Uni.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
Yeah, I am looking at the billy bookshelves, glad to hear such good things about them.

I don't think the billy are good bookshelves at all. The shelves bow very easily.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I don't think the billy are good bookshelves at all. The shelves bow very easily.

+1. If you have lots of books, Billy is neither a durable, nor attractive bookshelf.

Also, forget about taking IKEA stuff apart to move. Once they are assembled, they can never be put back together as tightly and solidly as the first time.

That said, I've bought three IKEA kitchens to install in rental units and they are great options for the price considering the flexibility, convenience, delivery time...

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my kitchen -- which sees a LOT of work -- has ikea cabinets and they're terrific. My writing desk -- which sees a LOT of work -- is from ikea and it's lasted at least 10 years, as have the file cabinets, etc. generally, i find it's pretty good value, but once you can can stop worrying about value as much as appearance, it becomes less attractive.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ikea furniture is awful. I've had a bed, credenza and a small couch and they do not last at all. Most of their small items are pretty good for the price. I'm taking a gamble and purchasing their cabinets because I read they are pretty good for the money and rated more favorably than Home Depot. Lots of higher end homes are using Ikea cabinets with custom countertops.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
you don't need to go as far as finland. Here is one of the Aalto "poang" manufactured by Herman Miller. It dates from 1938.
P_ART_L038.jpg

yeah, IKEA borrowed a lot from Alvar Aalto, like this stool from 1932:

P_ART_L012.jpg

!luc

Those are actually made in Finland by Artek (www.artek.fi), in the same factory as in 1932 , just marketed in the US by Herman Miller.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads