1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

furniture at Ikea

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by dapperdude, Feb 21, 2007.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

5-6 years? Aren't you sick of it anyway by then ?

no, I grew up with furnature in the house that was 3rd generation in the family. unfortunatly, I didn't inherit very much of it.

2. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of Ikea furniture, it's fine. The point was not to load up on stuff with the intention of keeping it all, but rather load up to start so I'm not living in an empty apartment. Slowly but surely, I've replaced a bunch of the Ikea stuff with various other pieces from the big names.

Wall shelving, however, is great at Ikea. I still haven't found a better looking alternative for my place.

3. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Well-Known Member

complete shit. not saying that to join the bandwagon - but from personal experience. everything is rickety.

its okay though, im at home 50% of the time and change residence every 1 yr so havent invested in real furniture yet.

4. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

It used to be good. I slept in an Ikea bed from the time I got out of a crib until I was 21 and moved out. Now I have an Ikea bed that's three years old and about ready for the dumpster. Mattress is even worse (although abuse may have something to do with that).

5. Joe E Taleo

Joe E Taleo Well-Known Member

I dunno, I think you just have to be careful about what you buy. bookshelves have been dependable, and we just bought a sofa (karlstad, for $399) for the sun room, and a desk for the office, and that's just a small bit of what we've gotten there (step stool, glass planter, guest room dresser, etc). I've been happy with everything we've purchased. That said I do think you have to be very selective, but I think ikea is a nice way to mix high and low.

6. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    complete shit.

its okay though...

You seem torn.

7. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Well-Known Member

You seem torn.

1. i had already bought it
    2. im not going to replace it until settling semi-permanently
    3. wont buy it again

[​IMG]

8. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

It used to be good. I slept in an Ikea bed from the time I got out of a crib until I was 21 and moved out. Now I have an Ikea bed that's three years old and about ready for the dumpster. Mattress is even worse (although abuse may have something to do with that).

What are you going to do when you throw it out? Should go with Ikea agian, since you're back in the same room you grew up in.

9. Nataku

Nataku Well-Known Member

I'm not the biggest fan of Ikea furniture, however there is one piece that stands as the exception in my mind: The Expedit bookshelf. An absolute blessing to record collectors. A custom LP shelf would run 2-3 times what the largest Expedit shelf retails for. [​IMG] On the other hand, I'm a big fan of them for basics such as kitchen towels.

10. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

I have found Ikea to be good for shelves to hold CDs and Records (Billy and Expedit models) and the Poang chair is very durable and makes for a nice listening chair, especially in black leather.

I have two Poang chairs and the 4x4 cube Expedit for LPs. I use three Billy shelves in Black/Brown for CD storage.

11. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

+1 on bookshelves. The Billy is a workhorse.

I also had a poang chair for years and it was very reliable. It is a bit cliched today - anyone can pick it out as a cheap Ikea standard - so I don't know that I'd put one in my living room today unless I were still in college or fresh out. Still, it's a great value IMO.

Dressers are going to fall apart quickly. The drawer bottoms will blow out (cheap fiberboard) and the glides (or whatever you call the hardware and rollers that make the drawer pull out smoothly) will not be reliable for more than a few years.

You should essentially be aware that anything with moving parts is not going to be terribly durable - tables with casters, anything with drawers, etc. You can also see pretty plainly that their fabrics aren't the top of the heap.

Still, I think they have some relatively attractive sofa options, and they are pretty unique (at least in my experience) in having decent modern styling at their price point. I wouldn't expect an Ikea sofa to last for 10 years, but I could live with one for 5, until I can afford a big-timer sofa.

12. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

Hey, I have a Poang chair too! And actually, it has been pretty durable, considering it's in a house occupied by three bachelors who drink a lot.

13. ysc

ysc Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am looking at the billy bookshelves, glad to hear such good things about them.

I googled the poang armchair and I am pretty sure there was one in two of the places I lived whilst at Uni.

14. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Well-Known Member

have not read this, but the Hopen room organizers/wardrobe organizer is effing dope with the lights on the top. I really should have kopped.

15. Deborah

Deborah New Member

wow,it is nice ,please go go go !

16. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am looking at the billy bookshelves, glad to hear such good things about them.

I don't think the billy are good bookshelves at all. The shelves bow very easily.

17. EL72

EL72 Well-Known Member

I don't think the billy are good bookshelves at all. The shelves bow very easily.

+1. If you have lots of books, Billy is neither a durable, nor attractive bookshelf.

Also, forget about taking IKEA stuff apart to move. Once they are assembled, they can never be put back together as tightly and solidly as the first time.

That said, I've bought three IKEA kitchens to install in rental units and they are great options for the price considering the flexibility, convenience, delivery time...

18. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    my kitchen -- which sees a LOT of work -- has ikea cabinets and they're terrific. My writing desk -- which sees a LOT of work -- is from ikea and it's lasted at least 10 years, as have the file cabinets, etc. generally, i find it's pretty good value, but once you can can stop worrying about value as much as appearance, it becomes less attractive.

19. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

Ikea furniture is awful. I've had a bed, credenza and a small couch and they do not last at all. Most of their small items are pretty good for the price. I'm taking a gamble and purchasing their cabinets because I read they are pretty good for the money and rated more favorably than Home Depot. Lots of higher end homes are using Ikea cabinets with custom countertops.

20. 660

660 Well-Known Member

you don't need to go as far as finland. Here is one of the Aalto "poang" manufactured by Herman Miller. It dates from 1938.
    [​IMG]

yeah, IKEA borrowed a lot from Alvar Aalto, like this stool from 1932:

[​IMG]

!luc

Those are actually made in Finland by Artek (www.artek.fi), in the same factory as in 1932 , just marketed in the US by Herman Miller.