furniture at Ikea

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by dapperdude, Feb 21, 2007.

1. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

wut duz that make Armani Casa?

That's the Giorgio Armani of furniture.

2. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

I'd rather think claude dalle is the giorgio armani of furniture.

!luc

3. visionology

visionology Senior member

I think some of their items are well made and great bargains while others come with a quality equal to the price. My friend has a kitchen with Ikea cabinets and I was actually surprised at how nice they look and function and it has been over 2 years with no problems. Ikea isn't going to win you any cool points at SF but then again who gives a damn.

Their seating however, especially their couches I find to be poorly designed and very uncomfortable and the leather quality is pretty bad. My aunt has some Stickley leather couches and while not the best they are a HUGE upgrade in quality. The designs are timeless and the leather is very soft. I think the Ikea couch designs are more for looks rather than a functioning piece that you can live with daily.

4. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

I think some of their items are well made and great bargains while others come with a quality equal to the price. My friend has a kitchen with Ikea cabinets and I was actually surprised at how nice they look and function and it has been over 2 years with no problems.

This is one area where Ikea is known to shine. I remeber seeing a home in Architectural Digest which was in the range of 10 million to build, appointed with an art collector's life's work, with an Ikea kitchen featured as the centerfold.

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I have a lot of ikea furnature. the exception - I don't buy stuff that you sit on. I have had a sofa and several chairs and they didn't last.

actually, we are phasing out all of our ikea stuff. nothing really lasted more than 5-6 years

6. ysc

ysc Senior member

actually, we are phasing out all of our ikea stuff. nothing really lasted more than 5-6 years

Really no good? I was thinking of buying some.
    I owned a desk years ago that was crap and put me off, but was more recently reassured of its durability by an ex's bed.

7. turboman808

turboman808 Senior member

Get the best in School Furniture, Library Furniture,College Furniture, Nursery Furniture in Mumbai, India from Hycon Industries. Suppliers of affordable furniture - stands, trolleys, chairs, bunk beds. Visit Hycon factory outlet today.
    http://www.hycon.in/

Way to pull up a 3 year old topic and advertise your company in the process.

I hope whoever bought Ikea furniture back when this topic started has done well for themselves and gotten rid of all this junk.

Call me a snob, I would be embarrassed to have ikea furniture in my home.

8. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Call me a snob, I would be embarrassed to have ikea furniture in my home.

Okay.
    You're a snob.

9. willpower

willpower Senior member

5-6 years? Aren't you sick of it anyway by then ?

10. globetrotter

Really no good? I was thinking of buying some.
    I owned a desk years ago that was crap and put me off, but was more recently reassured of its durability by an ex's bed.

it wasn't horrible, but all the dressers are fallling apart, some are only 3 years old and some are 6. also, our dinning room table is slanting a little.

11. globetrotter

5-6 years? Aren't you sick of it anyway by then ?

no, I grew up with furnature in the house that was 3rd generation in the family. unfortunatly, I didn't inherit very much of it.

12. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I have a bunch of Ikea furniture, it's fine. The point was not to load up on stuff with the intention of keeping it all, but rather load up to start so I'm not living in an empty apartment. Slowly but surely, I've replaced a bunch of the Ikea stuff with various other pieces from the big names.

Wall shelving, however, is great at Ikea. I still haven't found a better looking alternative for my place.

13. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

complete shit. not saying that to join the bandwagon - but from personal experience. everything is rickety.

its okay though, im at home 50% of the time and change residence every 1 yr so havent invested in real furniture yet.

14. unjung

unjung Senior member

It used to be good. I slept in an Ikea bed from the time I got out of a crib until I was 21 and moved out. Now I have an Ikea bed that's three years old and about ready for the dumpster. Mattress is even worse (although abuse may have something to do with that).

15. Joe E Taleo

Joe E Taleo Senior member

I dunno, I think you just have to be careful about what you buy. bookshelves have been dependable, and we just bought a sofa (karlstad, for $399) for the sun room, and a desk for the office, and that's just a small bit of what we've gotten there (step stool, glass planter, guest room dresser, etc). I've been happy with everything we've purchased. That said I do think you have to be very selective, but I think ikea is a nice way to mix high and low.