• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Full cut trousers pictures?

cocteau

Reaction score
hello together,
I am collecting photos of wider cut trousers with pleats to show them to my tailor for reference. I aim for a couple of pants with a patterned cloth and the elegant fuller cut of older times. I found a couple of sketches from the 30s here but the trousers looked like being pulled up almost to cover the chest.
Once there was a Thread to this topic and how this look could be translated into modern times and what's needed to make it work.
I could not find it though. Any help/photos/links from you?

Best
C

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I found a couple of sketches from the 30s here but the trousers looked like being pulled up almost to cover the chest.

This might just be your view of what a normal rise is.

One problem you're going to have is most men would have been wearing a jacket. So if you're looking for photos showing the upper part of the pants you're going to have that issue to deal with.

cocteau

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. Since I work in the tropics, I don't wear a jacket in everyday life. Therefore the trousers must work without. That's why I'm so skeptical about the very high rise cuts.

JDMills

Reaction score
The problem with a full cut drape trouser is that if you don't wear it with a higher rise they tend to look a little sloppy/baggy, the extra length from the long rise balances them out. And at the time when that cut was popular men wore a jacket all the time, I have a lot of pics of jacketed drape suits ill put them up hope you see one you like!

cocteau

Reaction score
This is what I'm looking for. If you have a few more of these, I'd love to browse through. Maybe I can use some just as a starting point and discuss how to adapt it with my tailor. (going to be iris in Singapore) does anyone remember a thread to this topic? I'm sure there was one a few months ago

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads