• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fried Chicken

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

4-7 times a month is beast status.... i haven't gotten to eat real fried chicken 4-7 times in the past decade =( Too many powers that be vetoing my food choices, and lack of availability.

I'm rather this is one of the many reasons why. I grew up fried chicken fairly regularely I'd be quite mad if it I had to cut back drastically. Of course I should cut back some, it feels weird being the only fat person in your family.

What does soaking the chicken in buttermilk actually do to the chicken? is it just for tenderizing?
The only fried chicken ive ever eaten was a Zinger burger so forgive my ignorance.

I also think it leads to a better crust, not way better but better.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have any Texans been to Golden Chick? Eating the fried chicken there is like getting an IV of lard pumped directly to your arteries.

Last edited:

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have any Texans been to Golden Chick? Eating the fried chicken there is like getting an IV of lard pumped directly to your arteries.
:crazy:

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are there any Golden Chick places in Houston?

I have never seen one.

deepitm

Reaction score
People here have mentioned Harold's in Chicago and in my opinion that is completely dependent on the location. Overall, nothing all that special about it, though. Not that it's bad. But not necessarily all that great. Even when fried chicken isn't that great, it's still good. Good Popeye's is a real treat, and that hasn't been mentioned here. The key is finding a good franchise location. Some of their locations suck. But when it's good, it's some of the best. FWIW, I do consider myself something of a fried chicken junkie and eat it a couple times a month. Someone mentioned Nashville hot fried chicken earlier and I have to agree that it's some of the best in the country. Check out Prince's or any other number of locations if you don't mind driving into the ghetto. Hot fried chicken will do work to your innards, but it is a treat. Stroud's in Kansas City makes some great fried chicken. It's that fried in a cast iron skillet kind. Willie Mae's Scotch House in New Orleans makes some great fried chicken and some killer read beans and rice to go with it. Theirs is crispier and has a bit more batter. Gus' World Famous Fried Chicken in Memphis is solid, but a bit overrated in my opinion. In Chicago, people rave about the fried chicken at Table 52. Totally overrated in my opinion. Popeye's is much, much better. For those of you traveling through the Midwest, if you stumble upon a Lee's Famous Recipe, I'd highly recommend it. Their recipe is a derivation from Kentucky Fried Chicken's original formula from back in the Colonel's days as the guy that started Lee's was a relative of the Colonel. Their "Crispy and Spicy" is particularly good and their potato wedges are actually dipped in the chicken batter before fried (so awful for you, but tastes sooo good). Someone also mentioned Asian fried chicken. Thai fried chicken can be awesome if you go to a good Thai restaurant. Sometimes it's pretty uninspired, but in the country of Thailand it is often excellent, particularly from a street vendor (I used to live there). So if you know a good Thai restaurant, consider giving their take on fried chicken a try.

Aneil4lom

Reaction score
I was surprised at how delicious fried chicken from Winn-Dixie is. This summer when I was in the U.S., I ate an 8 piece box every f*cking day!
Few places could hold a candle to KFC though, a couple years ago, KFC had "curry crunch" chicken for a limited time and it was amazing!

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any good fried chicken in Manhattan other than Korean fried chicken (I love it, but sometimes I want good old american/southern fried chicken)?

I get cravings but I never get any because my gf never wants fried chicken and I don't know I'd go other than the Hill Country Chicken joint I live by but have yet to eat at.

deepitm

Reaction score
Forgot about this thread. I recently had Honey Butter Fried Chicken here in Chicago and it is pretty amazing, I must say. I might go so far as to say as it is the best fried chicken I have ever had. They do a great pimento mac n cheese as well.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Golden chick is great. Chicken Express has the slight edge on it IMO.

There is a small chain in a Arkansas called Slim Chicken's that puts Chicken Express to shame. They just do chicken tenders though.

Nick Miller

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I Highly recommend a place called Mama J's in Richmond VA, best fried chicken I've ever had and also best soul food, I crave their collards every day.

[ATTACHMENT=7886]image.jpg (2,011k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

chedoumaile

Reaction score
Korean fried chicken means nothing unless it's slathered in the sauce. Otherwise 'Korean fried chicken' refers to something that is basically like American fried chicken, but blander. I think Japanese karaage beats the Korean stuff in terms of technique, but I do wish karaage had more seasoning.
13.gif

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads