Fried Chicken

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by FLMountainMan, May 22, 2012.

1. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan White Hispanic

Honestly, if I had a manual labor job (i.e. 95% of pre-1940 Southern males), I would probably eat fried chicken every day. I limit myself to once a month, but I look forward to that one time more than anything else. So. f--king. good.

Anyone have preferred recipes? The best place around here, oddly enough, is a gas station in a podunk town (one permanently flashing stoplight) about forty-five minutes west of here. Publix makes some damn good fried chicken as well.

2. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Reported for racism.

3. alexg

alexg Senior member

The Thomas Keller recipe from the Ad Hoc cookbook is the best fried chicken I've ever had, including at restaurants. I don't know if it can be improved on. I'm pretty sure you can find the recipe online.

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

man, me too. one of my favorite places was called deacon burton's in atlanta ... junky old house and when you walk in there were like 6 home stoves lined up against the wall, each burner covered by a big old cast iron pan bubbling with fat. oh my.
    Here's some guidance for homemade (duck edina!)

Last edited: May 22, 2012

5. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

I've made BA's recipe before, and it turned out great. I want to try Keller's now to see how it differs. I'll report back in a week:)

6. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

I'm occasionally bemused by the fact that Korea's greatest contribution to food might very well be the perfection of fried chicken. I'm guessing I'm in the minority here (see what I did), but I find Korean fried chicken far superior to the traditional American version.

7. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I prefer Southern style fried chicken with the seasoned breading, Korean fried chicken isn't even amongst the top preparations in Asia, I find it insanely overhyped. You get people just reacting to fried chicken in general there, rather than it being Korean or whatever - Korean fried chicken means nothing unless it's slathered in the sauce. Otherwise 'Korean fried chicken' refers to something that is basically like American fried chicken, but blander. I think Japanese karaage beats the Korean stuff in terms of technique, but I do wish karaage had more seasoning.

8. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

The only place I've had Korean fried chicken is in New York. I love that shit. The sauce is yummy, but I guess what I really like is the lack of breading and the brittle crunchiness of the skin.

9. Quatsch

Quatsch Senior member

Nashville Hot Chicken. Nuff said.

10. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

I'm waiting for StephenHero to weigh in.

Last edited: May 23, 2012

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Some of you might find this revolting on a number of levels - I kinda do as well but that's neither here nor there - but one of the most thoroughly satisfying meals I have ever found was the Chicken Fried Steak at the Alamo Cafe in San Antonio, served with flour tortillas. I limit myself to once every few years and I have to schedule an angioplasty or a marathon right afterward, but Still. Worth. It.

12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

man, i love a good chicken fried steak. i'm not all that down on average ones either. i'm too old to eat it regularly, but back in the day i could and did (alternating with barbecue ... sigh, tempus fugit).

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Chicken fried steak is one of my guilty pleasures. In fact, chicken fried steak covered in sawmill sausage gravy with some scrambled eggs and whole wheat toast. Perfect breakfast of champions.

14. SField

SField Senior member

Where is there good fried chicken in LA?

I had a great one near USC after a game off a food truck. Are there any cool "soul food" places doing fried chicken in like, hwood or Silverlake?

15. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

dude... USC has an area veeeeerrrrry neeeeaaarr to it that would most likely have great fried chicken places....

I also meant koreatown you raycysts :devil:

I've had some great fried chicken in harlem and queens. The thing about fried chicken is... as mentioned by FL above.... its mostly take out places that are also hole in the walls.

but probably the best fried chicken I had in the last two years was at this place in Chicago:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2012