1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Fried Chicken

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by FLMountainMan, May 22, 2012.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I've never had really good fried chicken

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  2. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

[​IMG]

3. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

+1

Thomas, have you ever tried frenchys? It's close to UH, next to third ward. It's suppose to be amazing so I decided to try it, as soon as I walked in I knew I was outside of my element, I ate one piece of chicken and thew away the rest. The fries were okay. Many people seem to like it, I think its nasty, but I dont like fried food in general so that may have something to do with it.

Has anyone else in Houston tried this place?

hahaha

The frist time I had chicken fried steak it was amazing, maybe I was really hungry, but I have tried it from other places and its not the same.

4. gdl203

[​IMG]

5. b1os

b1os Senior member

I've never eaten fried chicken. Nor seen it. (other than McD chicken mc nuggets)

6. gdl203

[​IMG]

7. b1os

b1os Senior member

8. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

McDonalds is nasty.

9. 1969

1969 Senior member

I've eaten at Frenchy's. It's decent but if you don't like fried food that pretty much would spoil fried chicken for you.

10. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

I don't know, there's something about making fried chicken myself that does not appeal to me at all. I just would never do it. Oddly enough, the only meal my mother could actually cook was fried chicken. Maybe that has something to do with it.

11. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

deep frying anything at home - i never want to eat it by the time im done.

and i definitely dont want to clean up after ive eaten it.

1 person likes this.
  12. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    well, there are two schools of fried chicken -- Presbyterian and baptist. presbyterians fry in a shallow cast-iron pan. baptists go for full immersion.

1 person likes this.
  13. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

I have made it less than 5x, and while I enjoyed the results, have always reflected on the effort afterwards (buttermilk soaked, double-dipped, shallow fry, clean up etc etc). I do mainly karaage now, which is simpler obviously, but not what we're talking about here.

14. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I've been to the location off of 59, I-45 and Kirby. Never been to the Frenchy's near UH. They have the best fried chicken (compared to Popeye's, KFC, Church's, and Hartz) but it's always so damn hot. I usually have to cut it open to let the steam out or else it would burn my mouth.

15. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Cold fried chicken had yet to be mentioned. Fail.

16. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

wha wha!

Is it like cold pizza?

17. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

I don't like the Ad Hoc recipe, especially the lemon. Leah Chase soaks her fried chicken in canned milk, which I tried and it was good. I eat fried chicken 4-7 times a month, I cook it differently depending on my mood and the sides. If I'm eating it with Jamaican rice and peas I marinate it over night in adobo and hot sauce(jerk seasoning is acceptable too). If I'm making it with your typical soul food sides, I marinate it in buttermilk over night and then season it with creole seasoning or lawrys seasoned salt or Soul seasoning or even old bay garlic seasoning for a few hours. I never deep fry, I always pan cook in cast iron.

18. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

4-7 times a month is beast status.... i haven't gotten to eat real fried chicken 4-7 times in the past decade =( Too many powers that be vetoing my food choices, and lack of availability.

19. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

What does soaking the chicken in buttermilk actually do to the chicken? is it just for tenderizing?

The only fried chicken ive ever eaten was a Zinger burger so forgive my ignorance.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  20. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Was going to take a good friend out tonight to celebrate her dissertation defense. Since she now lives in London, she declared that what she really wants to do to celebrate is to stay in, drink, and eat fried chicken. I guess this will be my dinner tonight:

http://www.waysidechicken.com/