• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 8 MARCH 2016 - CASUAL ELEMENTS

and the winner is?

• chocsosa

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • archibaldleach

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Caustic Man

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • Clouseau

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • EFV

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Diplomatic Ties

Votes: 12 13.0%
  • Gerry Nelson

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • Anden

• blekit

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • TheoProf

• TwoStep

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Rais

Votes: 18 19.6%
  • upr_crust

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • calypso

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • SYCSYC

Votes: 12 13.0%
  • baltimoron

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • gs77

• bienluienapris

• mossrockss

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • Coxsackie

• Murlsquirl

Votes: 18 19.6%
  • RoSaCe

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • An Acute Style

• sebastian mcfox

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • ScottMC

Votes: 10 10.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There has been unexpected fallout from this challenge, as I posted pics from Friday on AAAC, in the wake of which there have been clashing opinions as to the wearing of jeans with a sports jacket - some are opposed, while others felt that my jeans (new - their first wearing), were not "jeans-y" enough (not tight enough, or too uniformly dyed). Some egos have been slightly bruised in the process, though hardly mine - I am taking this all in with an attitude of ironic bemusement.

I have had all kinds of hangups about whether you can wear X with Y, this with that, etc. etc. Those hangups are generally rooted in my understanding of what is traditionally acceptable. One of those hangups was wearing a tie with jeans.

Then I went to Italy and saw the most stylish dudes ever doing it and looking awesome. And I'm not talking about the average dudes, but legitimately stylish men with clear personal style. There were also poorly dressed Italian dudes, and probably a lot wearing a tie with jeans, but I didn't notice them because the dudes doing it well are the ones who caught my attention. Anyway. Goes to show that the rules can and should inform what you do, but can't be elevated above looking great.

pravda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting that you two, @moss, @upr are ones I look most forward to seeing on SF. Keep bringing the great style and uplifting my day.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome challenge, though tough to vote (some fits looked really good but didn't seem to really be casual fits). Thanks to whoever kindly voted for me in spite of my awful photography and absence of a full length shot. Based on the votes thus far, I think Formosa should be an honorary co-winner.

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Mcfox. A well deserved win. It's difficult to pull off the suit and t-shirt look without looking like Miami Vice era Don Johnson but you managed!

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I look forward to McFox's use of that suit with a collared shirt.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Congrats, McFox! I'm pretty surprised that I came in 3rd....thanks for the votes, guys.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the votes and kind remarks! I'm a bit surprised I can out on top. Does that mean I get to figure out the next challenge? Any ideas?

Outstanding! Congratulations on a well deserved win!

Yes, that means you get to choose and coordinate the next challenge
smile.gif

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There has been unexpected fallout from this challenge, as I posted pics from Friday on AAAC, in the wake of which there have been clashing opinions as to the wearing of jeans with a sports jacket [...] Some egos have been slightly bruised in the process, though hardly mine - I am taking this all in with an attitude of ironic bemusement.

That's the only way to take it.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anden's idea sounds like something I'd like to watch, and probably take part in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads