• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 31 OCTOBER - BLACK SHOES AND VEST GAME

Who did it best?

• Gerry

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Cleav

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • upr_crust

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • Flying Monkey

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • chocsosa

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • GMMcL

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Anden

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • Papperskatt

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • jcmeyer

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • Butler

Votes: 20 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll keep pitching what I want to see: degree of difficulty challenge. The most difficult fit you think you've ever pulled off.
Clags. Sounds interesting but wouldn't it be quite hard to compare the entries?

Well, I have this tie that was made from Tibetan Yak wool, which I sourced myself while on my first Everest expedition. After a month in hospital due to frostbite, I took the wool to an old spinning shop in Unapool in the Scottish Highlands. While waiting for the octagenarian spinner woman to finish my donegalesque cloth, I ruined my liver drinking too much of the local dram. Another month in hospital ensued, after which I could finally travel to Napoli to have my truly custom bespoke tie made. Upon arrival though, I found out that the tie maker that I had in mind had gone out of business, so I had to find another one. Three weeks later, I received this tie:

No matter what I'm going to wear it with, it will be the most difficult fit I've ever pulled off.
smile.gif

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I have this tie that was made from Tibetan Yak wool, which I sourced myself while on my first Everest expedition. After a month in hospital due to frostbite, I took the wool to an old spinning shop in Unapool in the Scottish Highlands. While waiting for the octagenarian spinner woman to finish my donegalesque cloth, I ruined my liver drinking too much of the local dram. Another month in hospital ensued, after which I could finally travel to Napoli to have my truly custom bespoke tie made. Upon arrival though, I found out that the tie maker that I had in mind had gone out of business, so I had to find another one. Three weeks later, I received this tie:

No matter what I'm going to wear it with, it will be the most difficult fit I've ever pulled off.
smile.gif
awesome ******* story!

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smile.gif

Ok, you win!

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

smile.gif

Funnily enough, the exact same thing happened to me, except the expedition was to the corner shop for milk, the month in hospital was for piles, the spinning shop was in Shenzhen and I never did find a bespoke tie-maker, so I ended up just buying a tie from K-mart.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the Halloweeen challenge idea.

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, I have this tie that was made from Tibetan Yak wool, which I sourced myself while on my first Everest expedition. After a month in hospital due to frostbite, I took the wool to an old spinning shop in Unapool in the Scottish Highlands. While waiting for the octagenarian spinner woman to finish my donegalesque cloth, I ruined my liver drinking too much of the local dram. Another month in hospital ensued, after which I could finally travel to Napoli to have my truly custom bespoke tie made. Upon arrival though, I found out that the tie maker that I had in mind had gone out of business, so I had to find another one. Three weeks later, I received this tie: No matter what I'm going to wear it with, it will be the most difficult fit I've ever pulled off. :)
What a story! Do you drink Dos Equis?

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL, I had to Google that one, so I guess that rules me out for the Most Interesting Man in the World award. ;)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elio, that is insane.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's been a while since a sprezz challenge.also could do a "don't dress like yourself challenge" or an "emulate a blog challenge"

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am pleased to have been a respectable second place behind the two winners.

As for a Halloween challenge, the season has passed, and, for others, it may be hard for them to distinguish between my normal mode of posting, and that which would ibe designed to specifically invoke horror :embar:.

Last edited:

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a few, rather generic, ideas:
- Gingham (probably been done before but I always like seeing what people attempt with it)
- Cashmere (any element) or "The Fuzz" to include flannel and other fuzzy fits
- Autumn Leaves (fall colors, outdoor photos)
- The End of the Day (sort of a what looks best once your tie is loosened and everything isn't so well pressed anymore)
- Drink in Hand (at happy hour or home with your favorite cocktail/drink - more of a situational photo I guess, probably not enough to go on)
- Ivy League or College Colors

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads