• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 07/06/13 - SOLID-STYLE ( AKA - THE ELEGANCE THROUGH SIMPLICITY CHALLENGE )

The Solid-Style Challenge - Who was most elegant?

• Spandexter

Votes: 13 10.3%
  • Holdfast

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Pingson

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • RDiaz

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • IanGP

Votes: 16 12.7%
  • SharplyTailored

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Vaux_le_Vicomte

Votes: 42 33.3%
  • Claghorn

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • in stitches

• Kappelan

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • archibaldleach

• bernoulli

• YRR92

• sugarbutch

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Butler

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • Thin White Duke

• SeaJen

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • An Acute Style

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • SpooPoker

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • Pliny

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • 3phtp

• clapeyron

Votes: 15 11.9%
  • mimo

• cantabrigian

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • RogerC

• TTO

Votes: 32 25.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ianGP

Reaction score
Damn... Should've borrowed my neighbor's kid. That's extra points right?

LEVOOSH

Reaction score
IS - looking good. I think you need a pair of light grey trousers though. I know you said you do not dress seasonally but for spring summer I would find that more pleasing. In fact, IMO many of your fits would be improved by a little more contrast between jacket and trousers.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Damn... Should've borrowed my neighbor's kid. That's extra points right?

:nodding:

IS - looking good. I think you need a pair of light grey trousers though. I know you said you do not dress seasonally but for spring summer I would find that more pleasing. In fact, IMO many of your fits would be improved by a little more contrast between jacket and trousers.

thanks, L. i have actually just jumped into seasonal dressing. i dropped off 3 pairs of summer weight gray trousers to the tailor this morning. 1 light gray and 2 mid gray. they will start appearing, along with new summer chinos, in the upcoming weeks.

but tbh, even if they were ready, i would have worn the same for this fit. i feel like i do blue and gray all the time, and wanted something else for variety.

Looking great stitch. You wear those green socks with those GG's often. I like that combo.

thanks! and yes i do. i love that combo as well.

Last edited:

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The average person in me says, "Spectacular, polished, perfect." The SF Guy says, "Great entry....but you need a Half-Windsor...a wider tie knot will be better at balancing the wide lapels."

Still, I assume the peasants are rushing to get the hell out of his way as we walks down the street....

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Lol@Suggs - my first thought exactly.

Referee, I don't think Stitchy should be allowed to keep using a small child instead of a pocket square. Even if he looks nice.

Some good stuff up there.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the small child, aka, my daughter, wanted to be in the pics. if she was in place of a PS, i would have put her in my pocket. :)

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No pattern shoes, no pattern socks and no pattern cufflinks. After all, it is the no pattern challenge!

Last edited:

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright I think I have an idea. My only no pattern sports coat is arriving tonight. I'll get the wrinkles out and post a picture. It won't be what I wore but it might still be able to be submitted?

I don't have a pocket square but my girlfriend has some sugar gliders. I'm stuffing one of those in the pocket. They're pouch creacures anyways.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some really good entries. In Stichtes, looking really good...I see a lot of textured ties, should have gone for one but in the spirit of the no pattern challenge I chose not to have any pattern whatsoever as much as possible (not even texture).

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today in accidentally biting RDiaz's style (but with mid-gray trousers and burg penny loafers):

The goods, since this photo is not up to scratch:

Hopsack blazer, blue OCBD, cotton knit tie, champagne-colored silk square.

Better pic of the same coat and trousers (I'm clean-shaven and have a better haircut now, I promise):

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is apparently grenadine season up in this *****. It would also appear that I mugged Pingson for his suit and IanGP for his tie. :)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
very nice, SB!

Some really good entries. In Stichtes, looking really good...I see a lot of textured ties, should have gone for one but in the spirit of the no pattern challenge I chose not to have any pattern whatsoever as much as possible (not even texture). 

thanks. lol, i tried the opposite. i went for solids that has texture in some way. cool how many ideas this seemingly simple challenge brought out.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I, too, am a fan of the textured solids, especially for the SCs. I have that one brown hopsack SC, and I'm fiending for one in blue now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads