FRIDAY CHALLENGE 07/06/13 - SOLID-STYLE ( AKA - THE ELEGANCE THROUGH SIMPLICITY CHALLENGE )

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TTO, Jun 4, 2013.

The Solid-Style Challenge - Who was most elegant?

Poll closed Jun 10, 2013.
  1. Spandexter

13 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. Holdfast

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. Pingson

21 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. RDiaz

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. IanGP

16 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. SharplyTailored

4 vote(s)
    3.2%
  7. Vaux_le_Vicomte

42 vote(s)
    33.3%
  8. Claghorn

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  9. in stitches

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  10. Kappelan

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  11. archibaldleach

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  12. bernoulli

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  13. YRR92

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  14. sugarbutch

10 vote(s)
    7.9%
  15. Butler

41 vote(s)
    32.5%
  16. Thin White Duke

6 vote(s)
    4.8%
  17. SeaJen

8 vote(s)
    6.3%
  18. An Acute Style

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  19. SpooPoker

17 vote(s)
    13.5%
  20. Pliny

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  21. 3phtp

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  22. clapeyron

15 vote(s)
    11.9%
  23. mimo

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  24. cantabrigian

9 vote(s)
    7.1%
  25. RogerC

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  26. TTO

32 vote(s)
    25.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Same here. Will get one for next year's summer.

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Hmm, I've worn my only full linen suit for two challenges already this year. And the trousers are now at the tailors for some minor alterations and won't be back until the week after the challenge. [​IMG]

I could always resubmit my pic from this week's challenge, I suppose. [​IMG]

Seriously though, I like the theme, but will have to sit this one out, sadly.

(would a more inclusive variation be, a "suits in summer" challenge. Suit - and outfit - must be distinctly seasonal. So linen obviously counts, but so would cotton, fresco or even seersucker. So would normal tropical wool, but wearers should expect to get fewer votes than a more obviously/visibly summery material and would therefore probably need to make additional efforts to "summer up" the rest of their outfit. Purely a thought; I bow down before whatever Butler decides!)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  3. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

hmm I have but this one linen suit, featured here: http://putthison.com/post/52632415201/real-people-summer-linen-suit-my
    And I don't think I can wear it any more differently.
    All my other linen items are odd trousers and coats.

I suggest a "high waisted" challenge. competitors must incorporate a high waisted trouser tastefully. hiking up certainly does not count.

4. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Are there bonus points for an odd jacket?!

I have several linen suits. Albeit clumsily-tailored ones....wore a three piece for the challenge a couple of weeks ago. Oh well, a different one then. But a different jacket? That's a new one for me.

After another depressingly low vote haul, I was just thinking the only way to do well in these things is to have a very good wardrobe (preferably branded and/or serious bespoke), someone to take good pics with a DSLR who knows what they're doing, and, shall we say, a certain SF social standing.

But, in the absence of all of those things, I can only be grateful for a challenge that happens to coincide with the majority of my current available suit options. Thanks, Butler!

Edit: re. Clap's comment; all high-waisted too....*dance*

5. Butler

Butler Senior member

I'm fine about amending the challenge to "The summer suit" challenge with the proviso outlined by Holdfast! :bigstar:

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

^ Honoured to be of help! [​IMG]

mimo, re: "I was just thinking the only way to do well in these things is to have a very good wardrobe (preferably branded and/or serious bespoke), someone to take good pics with a DSLR who knows what they're doing, and, shall we say, a certain SF social standing."

Well, I would actually hope and expect that the voting rewarded those with a very good wardrobe & nicely taken pics! So I don't think that detracts. On the point of favourtism, well that naturally always comes in to play to some degree, but looking back through recent winners, I can't see one that wasn't worthy of the win (or at least, rightly competitive for the win), so its effect is overstated in terms of deciding the winner. It has more effect on where one places within teh also-rans, but so what.

Don't be disheartened if you get few votes; I don't often get many either unless I fortuitously to come up with a genuinely nice outfit that's congruent with the board's tastes... but it's really much more about having fun with the theme and seeing what you can come up with. The day you start worrying about an internet vote is the day you should stop reading the internet. In fact, I would amend that last sentence to remove the qualifications that limit my opinion of the value of the popular vote to just the internet... [​IMG]

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i like HFs idea. it would allow me to play, hopefully. :)

8. Mr. Claymore

Mr. Claymore Senior member

Now this a challenge I can get behind. I should start participating again anyway (on occasion at least.)

[​IMG]

9. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Hehe all true HF (although by "good" I guess I should have said "vast and expensive"); the semi-pro photography is a bit of a divider though. But I'm not disheartened, just playing the fool. That was until the rules were expanded for this Friday's challenge above, which means hope once again evaporates. And it's all your fault. Bastard. [​IMG]

Mr C: I believe they call that premature participation! (Great though!)

10. Mr. Claymore

Mr. Claymore Senior member

If I recall correctly I did wear it on a Friday...several years ago. Don't worry, though, it's not my only linen suit. :devil:

11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I would get a lot of comments at work with my cotton suit, but if the weather is suitable, I may be emboldened.

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

when is the new thread going up? and do we have an official challenge?